Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Power Converters for Electric Wheelchair charger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air

I tried search to no avail. Any suggestions on purchasing a Power Converter for charging my 24 Volt Electric Wheelchair in Paris and Rome
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:48 pm

Maybe you want to contact your wheelchair dealer to make sure if there are any points you might have to be on the look out for? If not, any converter that convert to 220 volt will do. 220 (sometimes 230) is the standard overhere and I've never been in a place in Europe with no 220 available.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:42 am

If you want to give us the name and brand, maybe we could search for you? Not all chargers are the same.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skylady
If you want to give us the name and brand, maybe we could search for you? Not all chargers are the same.
Thanks to both for your help. I have contacted my WC CO. and I'm waiting a reply. I also can do a web search, but was hoping someone had been down this road before and could recommend a good product. I have a heavy duty Permobil C500 with all the electronic gadgets, for using outdoors in the mountains. It also makes kid's play out of cobblestone roads and small curbs. All the usual converters I have used from Wal-Mart and Radio Shack, )for other things), won't handle the load of these batteries.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Finally got an answer

I finally got an answer from Lester Electrical (maker of my current charger) and thought I would pass it on FYI.

Hello NCVet61;
Your mail was trapped by our spam filter, my apologies for any delay. I
thought that we may have talked by phone on this subject?

The problem is the AC electrical supply FREQUENCY in France is 50 Hz, not
the 60 Hz common in north America. Unlike the voltage, there is no
work-around or adapter that will overcome this, the charger will not run
correctly at 50 Hz.

We do make a "World" charger that operates on any frequency or voltage on
the planet, our model number 13770, $284.00, 3 week lead time.

The other option would be to check with your friends in France to see what
chargers are available locally. I've spoken with a number of customers over
the years to learn this was a good solution.

Finally, you might also contact Permobil at 800 736 0925 to see if they have
a charger they could recommend.

Thank you,

George Chmielewski
Customer Service/Tech. Rep.
Lester Electrical
625 West A Street
Lincoln NE 68522
1 402 441 3720 ext. 273 direct
1 402 474 1769 fax
[email protected]

An expensive proposition for sure, but at least it is a solution.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: United MP
Definitely contact Permobil first. They should have an answer for you.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Definitely contact Permobil first. They should have an answer for you.
I contacted them first and they had no solution, (they use Lester Electrical Chargers in USA). This surprised me as they are an International Co. This 800 is a new number to me so I'll try that today.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:17 am
KTW

These might help:

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/24vo40ampxlr1.html
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/24v4moscpoch.html
Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ncvet61
I contacted them first and they had no solution, (they use Lester Electrical Chargers in USA). This surprised me as they are an International Co. This 800 is a new number to me so I'll try that today.
That surprises me, allthough it probably shouldn't anymore (personally had 2 poor experiences with Permobil USA when contacting them as a private person).

Anyway, I also use a Permobil. Being a dutch user, I can use my charger in France but not in the USA without converter. Permobil NL linked me up with a every day converter (110 to 230 volt) that should do the trick. Or to quote them; "in any electronicstore you can buy a converter, which solves the problems."

If it does the trick for my Permobil, yours should be able to handle an every day converter (230 to 110 volt) no problems.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingwheels
Anyway, I also use a Permobil. Being a dutch user, I can use my charger in France but not in the USA without converter. Permobil NL linked me up with a every day converter (110 to 230 volt) that should do the trick. Or to quote them; "in any electronicstore you can buy a converter, which solves the problems."

If it does the trick for my Permobil, yours should be able to handle an every day converter (230 to 110 volt) no problems.
This is what I thought, but I didn't want to get to France and be stuck with dead batteries. Now the 60Hz vs 50Hz that Lester Electrical mentioned has me concerned. What Hz are you using?
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:53 pm

No idea what so ever. Just checked my charger and it states 50Hz. This is an official Permobil charger and one they use in france also (allways comes in handy all of those manuals). I'm not too worried about it. Permobil NL states that a converter is good enough to charge my battery. If it isn't, they know the bill for a rental is coming their way.

I can understand your carefullness though. I've run into near dead batteries on a solo trip with no way to charge, ended up renting one from a rental place in the US.

Have you considered mailing Permobil Sweden? After all, they are the original place the chairs come from, they of all people should know the answer. Hmm, I've just sent them a mail myself, by now I want to know which info is correct and which isn't.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:56 pm
KTW

Did I screw up and not find the correct charger/converter to help the problem? If I did I am sorry. My wife has a Pride Go Go Elite Traveller with the upgraded batteries and this is what we use. I did not mean to mislead.....Head hung low in shame.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KTW
Did I screw up and not find the correct charger/converter to help the problem? If I did I am sorry. My wife has a Pride Go Go Elite Traveller with the upgraded batteries and this is what we use. I did not mean to mislead.....Head hung low in shame.

You sorta did.... but we've all been there and done that. Besides, I help disabled veterans and it's good to have links to these sites. Just three weeks ago we were scrambling for batteries for an older rascal. Thanks for the links. ^
Old Sep 6, 2008, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingwheels
No idea what so ever. Just checked my charger and it states 50Hz. This is an official Permobil charger and one they use in france also (allways comes in handy all of those manuals). I'm not too worried about it. Permobil NL states that a converter is good enough to charge my battery. If it isn't, they know the bill for a rental is coming their way.

I can understand your carefullness though. I've run into near dead batteries on a solo trip with no way to charge, ended up renting one from a rental place in the US.

Have you considered mailing Permobil Sweden? After all, they are the original place the chairs come from, they of all people should know the answer. Hmm, I've just sent them a mail myself, by now I want to know which info is correct and which isn't.
Let me know what Sweden has to say. Apparently it isn't the voltage converting that posses the problem. It's the 50 Hz or 60 Hz. I'm not familiar enough with Hz to know if the USA 60 Hz would damage your French 50Hz. but Lester Electrical says your 50 won't charge my 60..... If you lived in Paris, I could just stop by and use your charger and you could use mine when you visited the USA It's another way to meet new friends!
Old Sep 7, 2008, 3:40 pm

Lol, that's an easy way to know for sure we can charge our chairs.

I'll let you know if I get an answer. I've been talking to my brother about this. He's got a degree in something technical electrical. He and his collegues are pretty sure I shouldn't have a problem with the higher Hz. Apparently it hardly ever poses a problem, but by know I want to know for sure.

By the way, did you check the charger and the details on it? Turns out most appliances have a 50Hz~60Hz on it. I think I remember the permobil charger I rented in the US last year had that notification on it. If yours does (which mine doesn't, darned), you definately only need a converter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.