Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Rollaboard after shoulder surgery?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2008, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE

Greetings, I was wondering what etiquette, for lack of a better word, is appropriate with carry-on luggage and stowing it? I'm recovering from shoulder surgery after 2 dislocated shoulders and I have limited range of motion for my arms over my head, and they are particularly weak as I have yet to start physical therapy; i.e. I probably would not be able to get my rollaboard above chest level without help. One arm is still in a sling when I'm out and about.

I am traveling for business alone this time. In the past (when I had 2 working shoulders) I have never taken a bag on a plane I couldn't handle myself. Even so, since I am female (at least, I think that's the reason), men always give me a hand getting my rollaboard up and down. I know FAs are not supposed to stow carry ons (especially a rollaboard) for passengers either. I never ask for help in these situations and I'm generally uncomfortable doing so, but I'm not sure what the alternatives are, now that I physically am unable to do it by myself? I'd greatly prefer NOT to check my bag and even though fellow passengers have been more than kind in the past I feel very different asking for help when I really need it, as opposed to accepting an unsolicited helping hand.

For people with limited strength or mobility/flexibility, what are some ways of dealing with carry-on baggage? (FWIW, if I am not wearing the sling I don't look injured in any way, and I got hurt doing sports, so physically I look pretty young and fit.)
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:50 am

Kboo, a lot will come down to the question how comfortable you'll be to ask help. I'm assuming you've been operated on one arm only and the other still needs an op? In that case I'ld strongly advice you to take a rollabout that moves VERY easily. Each correction you'ld have to do, even 'just rolling it', can cause you pain, damage or even a dislocation again. So also, don't try to help a person that's helping you store it. I know, easy said, but believe me you don't want to run the risks.

Hmm, should probably start explaining myself by now. I've got a hereditary condition that causes me to dislocate allover the place uncountable times a day. I know the op you've had, I've had them all. I know the risks of the not operated arm yet, it's my daily life.

OK, let's return to flying. While official rules state 'they are not supposed to', I've never run into any FA not willing to stow my carryons. (allways have multiple, need 2 bags with medical stuff. I'm a real pain in the rear for those FA's, lol) I'm in a wheelchair so some FA's assume I can't stand (I've got the 'can't walk' status in my papers) and do it without me asking. Others will see me stand to transfer from the wheelchair to the seat. Non of them ever refused me help when I asked. I hardly ever need to explain, more than "I can't" isn't needed.

Now, you look a lot less 'not able to'. Is that a problem? Doesn't have to be. The sling will hint about one arm. Just ask for help and a quick chat about the other arm not in a sling being worse off. None of the people I know with my condition that walk on board have had help refused when asking help, sometimes briefly explaining they'll otherwise dislocate the shoulder. I had the same experience when I still walked on board, didn't look injured, bright young girl, but allways would ask for help with the carryon.

When flying; wear the sling. It'll prevent you from those little changes in posture that can hurt the shoulder after some hours. Also, during take off there is more pressure on your body. The sling might be comfortable at that point and landing, not just one the one arm but also on the other.

Really, don't worry or be afraid. I've never run into a flight with not even one FA on board that wouldn't help , let alone other passengers. Especially the american and asian based FA's were very helpfull.

A last resort? Take a bag small enough it'll fit underneath the chair in front of you and stow it there instead of in the overhead compartment. But don't feel the need to do so in fear of not getting help.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, SPG Gold, HH, Marriott Silver, Delta, United, TSA Prechk/GE
Originally Posted by flyingwheels
Kboo, a lot will come down to the question how comfortable you'll be to ask help. I'm assuming you've been operated on one arm only and the other still needs an op? In that case I'ld strongly advice you to take a rollabout that moves VERY easily. Each correction you'ld have to do, even 'just rolling it', can cause you pain, damage or even a dislocation again. So also, don't try to help a person that's helping you store it. I know, easy said, but believe me you don't want to run the risks.

Hmm, should probably start explaining myself by now. I've got a hereditary condition that causes me to dislocate allover the place uncountable times a day. I know the op you've had, I've had them all. I know the risks of the not operated arm yet, it's my daily life.
Thank you, flyingwheels, for such a kind and thoughtful response. Yes, the other arm most likely will need an op as well. The first one had a 360-deg labral tear that is now anchored by 7 screws. It is probably tighter than it's ever been, but is really stiff and sore. Having been through 3 dislocations now, I have to say I feel some of your pain!

This has been quite a frustrating experience for me as I have always been the one to not only take care of myself but also to take care of others, but your words give me some comfort ... even if I decide to check my bag after all!
Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyingwheels

Really, don't worry or be afraid. I've never run into a flight with not even one FA on board that wouldn't help , let alone other passengers. Especially the american and asian based FA's were very helpfull.

A last resort? Take a bag small enough it'll fit underneath the chair in front of you and stow it there instead of in the overhead compartment. But don't feel the need to do so in fear of not getting help.
I agree - as an older, male, wheelchair user with the ability to walk a small distance with cane or crutches.

The willingness to help unasked - both FAs and other pax - continues to amaze me. Can you count on it? Most probably. Do you want to count on it? Probably not. An interesting decision.

I try to minimize my impact on the cabin crew, but traveling on business means I check a bag and am left with a heavy carryon, computer bag. It often weighs more than my checked bag, but I can't seem to cut it back.

Recently, I went from a "shoulder" case to a roller to try and make it easier for the on and off the plane stage. Once I'm back in my chair either one rides in my lap.

As suggested, a bag that could go under the seat seems like the "can't lose" answer, but even in longhaul business there may be media boxes and such that make the underseat area unusable.

The sling means you probably won't need to even ask. What if no one is willing to help (extremely unlikely). Gate check would be the ultimate fallback. That might happen 1 in 100 or so? Probably never.

Good luck...
Old Mar 3, 2008, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by kboo
Thank you, flyingwheels, for such a kind and thoughtful response. Yes, the other arm most likely will need an op as well. The first one had a 360-deg labral tear that is now anchored by 7 screws. It is probably tighter than it's ever been, but is really stiff and sore. Having been through 3 dislocations now, I have to say I feel some of your pain!

This has been quite a frustrating experience for me as I have always been the one to not only take care of myself but also to take care of others, but your words give me some comfort ... even if I decide to check my bag after all!
Needing help is never fun. I tend to readress myself if I find myself getting frustrated, telling myself the other person probably doesn't even think twice about it, so why would I?

I don't know how instable the other shoulder is? It might be something to think about. If you sit in an isleseat with that shoulder on the isle side, a accidental bumping into your shoulder (or worse; have a bag bump into your shoulder) in exactly the right spot can be enough to dislocate or subluxate if you've got a major tear in there also. The shoulder is a joint that dislocates very easily, unfortunately.

Do you know in which direction you dislocated it? If there is damage to the ligaments at the backside of the shoulder, take off might be uncomfortable. A second sling or cushion behind the shoulder can ease that.

How long post op are you, by the way? (that's just me being curious)

Blingbling, another thing popped up in my head. If you get a bulkhead seat, think about the tv not being in front of you but in the armrest. Getting the sucker out of there can be quite....... challenging for some ranges and types of shoulderinstability. Anything you'll do and not feel certain about? Fixate your upper arm against your torso and move from there. Fixating against the torso will help you stabilize the shoulder and give strength/confidence to do some stuff you might otherwise feel uncomfortable about. I know you don't want any more incidents like this, let alone on a plane. Even if it's just for your own feeling, who cares?

Shyabrasive, you're very correct about probably never wanting count on help. It made me smile to read you state that. I have worried about all kinds of things when it comes to flying (including the good old damaging of my chair), but never once even thought about the minor stuff like getting bags in and out of a bin (I only fly bulkhead, so no seat in front of me to use to store underneath). I've allways had the believe it'll sort itself out someway. Silly in a way, but funny to realize.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

In 1995 I suffered multiple fractures in my shoulder (it was basically crushed). I had very little mobility in the injured shoulder for a couple of years. During the time when my mobility was so limited I always checked my rollaboard. I did not want to be in the position of feeling so helpless. Moreover, I always brought a pillow or large shawl onboard in order to keep the injured shoulder on something well-padded.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just completed my first solo trip where I couldn't carry anything. (I was supposed to travel with my husband but he had to cancel)

I had a 6 kilo roller with me for the 4 days I was away. But I couldn't lift it up stairs or into the plane, nevermind into the overhead bin.

I could have asked for wheelchair assistance, but I declined. This probably put me in the same situation as you.

I asked for help from other passengers.

With Easyjet, I explained my situation to the gate staff. They offered me priority boarding but didn't have staff who could help me with the stairs. The solution I presented was accepted, which was that I could ask a passenger to assist me and they would be allowed to pre-board along with me (it was easier to ask with this incentive). The person I approached was very nice and offered to help me disembark. Turned out not to be necessary as the couple I sat next to helped me instead.

For the return trip on Ryanair, a nice strong man who I spoke to in the airport helped me on and off with my bag (we were the last to board).
I came back via a different route (London Luton - I'd cut short my original trip and booked an earlier return last minute) and ended up unexpectedly facing stairs in the actual airport. A ground steward helped with one flight and radioed to a colleague who was there to help me with the second flight.

I'm sure I looked young and fit when I asked too. Saying you're recovering from a dislocated shoulder explains your situation immediately.

I can sit, and I can walk, what I'm not very good at is standing around. This is why I really didn't want to check in my bag. This was complicated to explain, but I never needed to.

If you are uncomfortable about asking for help lifting your bag into the overhead bin, I'm sure the cabin crew will assist you.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I tore my rotator cuff this spring (good arm) and so faced some challenges in travelling solo about a month later. (I travelled a week after the injury - an anniversary trip - but my husband was with me so that was easier.)

The other point in the travel process you'll likely find quite challenging is security screening, because of the need (depending on whether) to take off/put on coats/sweaters, heave things onto the conveyor belt, take off shoes, etc.

I decided to check my 22" suitcase and travelled with just a large, lightweight purse with long shoulder straps. Luckily, I was travelling in late spring, and so when I got the airport I packed my lightweight jacket into my suitcase and checked it. I wore shoes that were easy to take off and put on one-handed.

Luckily, I didn't encounter any power-tripping security staff. The only tricky part was when I was asked to CDG to step aside for a quick body pat down and they wanted me to raise my arms to shoulder level. I had to explain (in French - what's the word for "shoulder" again?) that I couldn't raise one arm because of an injury. At that point, the security staff member became quite solicitous and treated me very gently.

The only other problem I had was that, with one shoulder out of commission and one wearing a shoulder bag, I was a little unsteady on my feet (e.g. on the bus at LHR between terminals) and needed a little extra personal space because I didn't want to bump into anyone. If I had it to do over again, I would have converted the pashmina that I packed in my purse into a sling for the trip through the airport. I could have used the support of the sling - and it might have been a clue that I needed a little time and some extra personal space.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kate_Canuck
The other point in the travel process you'll likely find quite challenging is security screening, because of the need (depending on whether) to take off/put on coats/sweaters, heave things onto the conveyor belt, take off shoes, etc.
I'd forgotten about that part.

In the UK I asked other passengers to help me, in Spain (as MJV is such a small airport) I asked the security staff directly.

I doubt I would have even traveled solo as I was too concerned about the obstacles and problems. My grandmother is getting quite old now and it's impossible to dismiss the idea that she won't be around if I postpone the trip further. When my husband had to cancel, this was what motivated me to go regardless (it helped that I found an uber-cheap replacement return ticket so I could cut the trip short.)

I didn't like the idea of being reliant on others and having to ask either. But the alternative was not to go at all. It turned out to be much more straightforward than I would have imagined. Nobody seemed to mind at all, and the journeys were particularly pleasant ones as I got to chat with most of those who assisted me. I know if my back was better I would be (and have been) happy to be helping someone in the same position. Flyertalk is full of people who genuinely like to spend a minute or two helping others. So is the real world.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Guess I vote the other way. Check your bag. Why take a chance on further injuring the shoulder.

I realize you have to wait (sometimes) & yes there's the chance of bag getting lost (not a huge chance) when checking, but the on/off the security belt, the hauling it behind you through the terminal, to cab, etc, the up/down into the overhead bin, can't be good for it. Speaking for myself I'd go the easy route, at least short-term.

A few years ago I had major surgery (not shoulder) & couldn't travel for 8 weeks. Even at the 10-12 week mark I had problems when I tried the overhead thing, and it actually developed into shoulder problems (probably because I was compensating for the other), so I went back to checked bags. On a dif occasion I broke my arm. Had some short trips so roll-aboard & relying on the goodness of others. I still chose to do the check bag. It was easier & no hassle. While I value my time, the 20min at baggage claim isn't going to kill me, and potentially further damaging myself didn't seem like a good idea.

OVMV. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.