Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheelchair lost by AA!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Wheelchair lost by AA!

Any suggestions to dealing with this? At JFK they lost my chair, what should I do when I deal with AA.?
Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:58 pm

Did they do anything for you on the spot?

Tony Bailey
Old Jul 26, 2004, 7:49 pm

Was the chair permanently lost? Or did they eventually get it back to you?
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:22 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
I sincerely hope that your wheelchair has been reunited with you by now. In the interim, I would have expected AA to rent you an identical wheelchair.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank

they can't find the wheel chair now, about 6 weeks later.

at the time CDG they promised to pay 100 euro but now they want to pay 100 USD, (we also had delayed luggage for about 2 days.)

At CDG they asked us to rent our own chair and now they are asking us to send in a baggage claim form.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:38 am

Programs: United MP
You need to get more agressive with AA. Contact the people that I posted in Travelbuzz, and/or get a lawyer.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Any suggestions to dealing with this? At JFK they lost my chair, what should I do when I deal with AA.?
If they don't replace your chair with the exact same type of chair, get a lawyer to write a letter to them. DO NOT settle for $100 or 100 Euro unless that will replace your chair (unlikely! Even the most basic folding chair I have cost over $500 USD). You will have to produce some kind of proof of the original cost and specifications of your chair (manufacturer and model number, etc.). If you don't have that, contact the company you got it from and ask them to give you a copy of their record of the sale. Even if you didn't have to pay for it yourself originally -- for example, if your health insurer paid -- AA still must give you the money for a new chair, so be sure to get documentation of the true cost to replace the chair. AND they owe you something more for the inconvenience and suffering they caused by losing your chair. A good lawyer will make sure you get it.

Good luck! Be persistent!

Cheers,

Cyndi ^
Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:02 pm

I've been reading both threads.

I've got to say, if it had been me, I would have stayed in their wheelchair until someone did something. I'd tell them that I can't go anywhere without a chair and tell them to get on with sorting something!

Make sure that you keep on at them until they do something positive.

Tony Bailey
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:40 am

I checked it out after being reminded in the other thread about the Warsaw Convention. AA's liabilty will be limited to $400. However, you should still try for more. Maybe they'll give it to you out of the goodness of their hearts. LOL.

It is a risk, taking expensive medical equipment on an international flight. I really hope this gets changed some day soon. I hope you have good travel or other insurance that covers your chair?
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:04 pm

$400 limit - Ridiculous

My wife told me of the $400 limit this evening. This provision definitely needs to be changed. If an airline loses or damages a wheelchair, they should be liable for the entire amount.

For many travelers, wheelchairs are not an optional item. Airlines should treat them with respect and urgency.

I do not know who to contact about changing this limit. Perhaps my congressman is a place to start. The State Department may also be a good place to contact.

Seb
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

is the limit still USD 400

was the warsaw convention re-negociated? Is it still 400 for wheelchairs? What about my lost luggage for 2 days? what are the rules on this?
thanks!
Old Aug 24, 2004, 6:44 am

It has not been renegotiated, as far as I know. The limit is still $400 USD
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:25 pm

I would have took the airlines wheelchair

Eventhough I dont use a wheelchair I would say hey you lost my wheelchair now Im going to use your wheelchair. And then if they can't find it they will have to pay for a new one . By law the airlines must provide an alternate wheelchair even if they need to provide their own.

IF one can't be found the airlines need to go to a rental and get one for instnce if it was a power char they need to rent a power chair. IF they need to spend 10,000 on a wheelchair then they must do it.

Now my quesition is who would steal a wheelchair?
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by danielonn
Eventhough I dont use a wheelchair I would say hey you lost my wheelchair now Im going to use your wheelchair. And then if they can't find it they will have to pay for a new one . By law the airlines must provide an alternate wheelchair even if they need to provide their own.

IF one can't be found the airlines need to go to a rental and get one for instnce if it was a power char they need to rent a power chair. IF they need to spend 10,000 on a wheelchair then they must do it.

When BA broke my fathers wheelchair on a flight to Tampa they did lend us a wheelchair for the duration of the holiday. They actually borrowed it from Southwest. The problem was the flight was 3 hours late so all rental shops were closed. Most wheelchairs at airports dont fold up, thereby making them less likely to be stolen. Luckily the Southwest chair did fold.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn

You need to re-read this thread. The above only applies to domestic flights, due to the Warsaw convention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.