Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying transatlantic with medical problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying transatlantic with medical problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk darrenp. As pointed out in this thread, we have a dedicated forum for this discussion, and we'll move this to that thread.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:17 am
Community Director Emerita

Is this a relocation trip for your mother, so that you only need to be concerned about her making the trip one way?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Well, I would say that generally you'll get a more sympathetic hearing from a European crew than a US one, but every airline has good and less good cabin crew, so it's really not much use relying on this.
air new zealand also does london to los angeles, not sure re comparison
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Narrow bodies as well, if it's relevant, but I believe only on more recently built aircraft. The toilet only becomes bigger, however, because the inner wall is designed to be folded so that two adjacent toilets are converted into one.

There is absolutely no guarantee, in fact it's decidedly unlikely, that the OP's mother's flight will have this facility in the first place.
And it might turn out it does but the crew doesn't even know it.

My wife was injured while abroad, she used a chair for the flight home, including on the airplane. Only when we got across the Pacific did we find out there actually was a handicapped bathroom up in front.

BTW, it's not always combining 2 into 1--I've seen a 747 where there were panels that could fold out turning between-lavs aisle into part of the lav. While it didn't involve another lav it would block off access to the other lav. (Although if they had a carer the carer could use the other lav with privacy.)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:54 am

SAS with LHR-CPH-SFO could be a good option.

1) They have both economy and a real premium economy seat which is quite nice. (Not just economy with more seat pitch)

2) both economy and premium economy have 2-4-2 seating. So the mom and travel companion do not have to care about another person in the row

3) seat reservations can be made for a small fee in economy, free (as far as I know) in premium economy

4) by some strange reason the SAS lavatories are quite roomy, and even have Windows

5) I know a direct, non-stop fight would be better but CPH is a very efficient, small and easy to navigate airport. No comparison with FRA, CDG or LHR

6) if considering LH for their premium economy product go via MUC, avoid FRA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.