Wiki Posts
Search

Why Do People Like Filet Mignon?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Inspired by a thread on Morton's in the SF forum, I have to ask, why eat a relatively flavorless (albeit tender) filet when there are some much more flavorful cuts out there? I like an occasional steak but I never order a filet. It's just too lean and lacks that wonderful flavor that one can get out of something like a ribeye.

So, for those of you who love it, why?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Mouthfeel?

For me the reference on filet mignon is the Club Paris in downtown Anchorage and their 14 oz. offering. They'll sear the outside but will hit the mark on doneness in the middle. I think they have an option to stuff with blue cheese, but the plain one has always been fine for me. Maybe they do something super-secret to add flavor (though it doesn't come bacon-wrapped, or anything like that).
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:39 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum/ DL Silver
Honestly, I have no idea. Fat equals flavor and the tenderloin completely lacks fat due to the fact from where it is located on the cow. I guess it stems back from "if it costs more money it must be better".
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:30 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I agree, but a ribeye is much too far in the opposite direction. A fillet seems to work pretty well on airplanes - more forgiving, but I never ever order one in any restaurant or buy one at the store. Actually I almost never order steak in a restaurant because it's so much easier to make a far better one at home, but if I do, it will be a NY strip or sirloin.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by braslvr
I agree, but a ribeye is much too far in the opposite direction. A fillet seems to work pretty well on airplanes - more forgiving, but I never ever order one in any restaurant or buy one at the store. Actually I almost never order steak in a restaurant because it's so much easier to make a far better one at home, but if I do, it will be a NY strip or sirloin.
I enjoy a NY strip at home every now and again. As far as airplane food goes, I think filet is about the last thing that should be served. The beef is already too lean; cooking it and then reheating it just turns it into bland sawdust. No thanks. Braised beef is about the only thing that should be reheated and served - give me some short ribs, any day.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Filet mignon is my steak of choice. I like the tenderness of the meat coupled with the fact that no surgery is required to enjoy it.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by RustyC
Mouthfeel?

For me the reference on filet mignon is the Club Paris in downtown Anchorage and their 14 oz. offering. They'll sear the outside but will hit the mark on doneness in the middle. I think they have an option to stuff with blue cheese, but the plain one has always been fine for me. Maybe they do something super-secret to add flavor (though it doesn't come bacon-wrapped, or anything like that).
Very happy to see that particular reference!

However, I have to say I just had a filet from Orso (just up the street from Club Paris) that was pretty good, but more due to the creative preparation (with a glaze of veal stock and Spanish wine sauce, topped with melted cambozola, and served on a bed of wilted arugula in an apricot-walnut vinaigrette and polenta) than the quality of the steak itself. Club Paris, on the other hand, takes an excellent hunk of meat and cooks it to absolute perfection without the aid of foo-foo extras.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Filet mignon = fillet?

Each to their own, but I'd always go for sirloin in preference (for steak) or a topside joint for roasting. Fillet just lacks in texture and flavour in comparison.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by stut
Filet mignon = fillet?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filet_mignon

For once, we Americans actually spell and pronounce something more like the French than you do!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Aha!

You have your filet, we have our aubergines. It all becomes clear!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filet_mignon

For once, we Americans actually spell and pronounce something more like the French than you do!
I was always confused about that... <about the time AS released its Bacon Wrapped Petite Tender > Yes I drug out an old menu to ensure proper spelling

While were also talking about Anchorage Dining I'll add that Club Paris has excellent burgers too ^
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:43 am

Because it's tender and expensive. Those two things ensure folk forget that it doesn't taste of anything..
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:56 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
While I prefer rib eyes at home, at a really good steakhouse I'll go for the filet. They'll have prime, aged meat that develops some great flavor (it's not strong, but it is complex). Cook it up black & bleu, give me some wine, and I'm all set.

Originally Posted by stut
Filet mignon = fillet?
Filet ("fil-lay") is usually beef, with the pronunciation referencing the French; fillet ("fill-it") is the dominant use for fish.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:47 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Because they don't have any teeth? Or taste buds?

Actually, a high-quality filet done rare has its subtle charm.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Filet and porterhouse are my favorites. They both have plenty of flavor and no need to drench them with ketchup, A-1 sauce or any other steak related toppings. Oy!

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.