Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are there any restaurants whose food you dream about?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there any restaurants whose food you dream about?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Question Are there any restaurants whose food you dream about?

There's a little hole-in-the-wall Italian deli place I like that serves made-from-scratch food every day, with a small menu that changes from Monday to Friday. Dirt cheap and so delicious, that they ALWAYS have a huge crowd, and I laugh sometimes because people will be asking for their favorite items on the wrong day, just like I do.

Places like Burger King don't have this effect on me, can't figure out why.

What kind of restaurant is your favorite lunchspot?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
I love those little hole in the wall places.

The food I dream about, though? I worked at TooJay's Deli for a while when I lived in South Florida (about 20 years ago). I still crave their corned beef and pastrami sandwiches "specialized" and the dill chicken salad and the Killer Cake.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
my one white trash guilty pleasure is the salad at Olive Garden (the Dennys of Italian food). I just love a really cold salad.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:45 am

There's a small Mexican restaurant in PHL I think about a lot, wishing I could be there for dinner, called Zocolo. The food is so fresh and just plain good. I get there about once a month.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b1513
There's a small Mexican restaurant in PHL I think about a lot, wishing I could be there for dinner, called Zocolo. The food is so fresh and just plain good. I get there about once a month.
Oh, yeah - Philly is good for food - I like the fish and chips @ Elephant & Castle.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:22 am
ACB

I still miss Happy Joe's pizza from the midwest....mmmm taco pizza. Although it's never quite as good as I imagine when I eat there from time to time, it's so tied in to my childhood that I'll never shake the urge.

And, not a lunchspot, but I ate a couple of times at a restaurant called Lola's in Cleveland. I still think about the vanilla salad dressing, and the main courses I've had were also delicious.

For local lunchspots, I love a diner in the East Village called Around the Clock. It closed and supposedly is opening as a smaller restaurant, and I'm hoping the menu doesn't change too much. Great food and really cheap, for a sit-down place in Manhattan.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
There's a little restaurant in Chelsea called Cola's. They have a dish called Tuna Nicoise which is chunks of tuna, olives, capers, and a light red sauce served over linguini. It's a perfect mix of salty, fishy, olivey.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:42 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by ACB
I still miss Happy Joe's pizza from the midwest....mmmm taco pizza. Although it's never quite as good as I imagine when I eat there from time to time, it's so tied in to my childhood that I'll never shake the urge.
Well, I certainly didn't expect to see Happy Joe's in this thread, lol. I guess we must have grown up in the same general area, ACB, because I remember Happy Joes fondly as well...and get it from time to time when I am in the area.

The food I really dream about though is the Pad Thai at Honga's in Telluride. It was the first place I had pad thai and it was very HOT and wonderful. Not an easy place to just drop by for a bite though. In the 15 years since I first had it at Honga's I have had it all over the world, and funny as it is, I've never had it better. Memory is a great thing.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN P+, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
BLT's

There once was this place in Melbourne, Florida that had the best BLT sandwiches I've ever tasted. It was severly damaged in hurricane Jeane, but was supposed to re-open, it hadn't the last time I checked. Making me hungry just thinking about it!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:03 pm
Original Member

Greatly miss the famous French cheese restaurant, Androuet, in Paris. You could go there and eat numerous courses of cheese. Or, you could eat off of menu where everything had some type of cheese in it. Cheese appetizers, salads with cheese, entrees with cheese, desserts with cheese. Had a filet with a brandy and blue cheese sauce flambeed at table-side there, which I still salivate about.

Was fortunate enough to have eaten there about 3 times. It closed a few years ago. I believe the name is still attached to a couple of wine and cheese bars, but the original restaurant is no more.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
There's a little restaurant in Chelsea called Cola's. They have a dish called Tuna Nicoise which is chunks of tuna, olives, capers, and a light red sauce served over linguini. It's a perfect mix of salty, fishy, olivey.
Their calamari is excellent. I always order that.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I find myself often craving a horseshoe from The Dublin Pub in my hometown of Springfield, Illinois.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...oeSandwich.htm
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, if we're talking this thread into Central Illinois cuisine , I occasionally dream of a loaded-up mushroom burger from Murphy's in Champaign. I dream of the dark, dingy old Murphy's of 20 years ago: it doesn't feel the same now that it's about 4 times as big and more brightly-lit than it was.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, if we're talking this thread into Central Illinois cuisine , I occasionally dream of a loaded-up mushroom burger from Murphy's in Champaign. I dream of the dark, dingy old Murphy's of 20 years ago: it doesn't feel the same now that it's about 4 times as big and more brightly-lit than it was.
Where was that exactly? Wasn't that down by the movie theater on what's the name of the main street? Oh, wait, I think I remember. They redid it in frosted glass and ferns and brass fixtures, right?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Since it was featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay a week or so ago, I've been dreaming about Durso's Pasta & Ravioli Co. in Bayside, Queens. It is a few blccks from where my grandmother used to live and I grew up eating Durso's ravioli and their Italian sausage. Just last night I realized that do mail orders for their pasta and sauces, so I bought a few boxes of ravioli. They don't do mail order sausage, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.