Consolidated "Nespresso" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Nespresso" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: CX Gold
Apologies first for the thread necromancy..

I have just picked up a machine here in tokyo; and here the capsules are 735-840 JPY per pack. In the UK I now know they are 2.70-3.10GBP.

Are the capsules safe in checked luggage? I am over to Uk/Paris in May, I at 50% cost, I might stock up!.. but then I dont want 250 capsules to die on the Long Haul back!

Any ideas?

oh, and on topic: Pro - fast coffee that tastes great for someone who likes to make latte using the aerochinno Con, it seems my capsules are super pricey!
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by simonjp
Are the capsules safe in checked luggage? I am over to Uk/Paris in May, I at 50% cost, I might stock up!.. but then I dont want 250 capsules to die on the Long Haul back!
They won't - I've taken them in checked luggage many times, even packing them last minute on the outside of suitcases, where the danger is that they will bend from any impacts - so that is the limit of damage - but haven't lost one yet! (Bent, but still usable)

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Mar 28, 2010 at 9:14 am
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I am a fan of Nespresso when the usage is small and there are a variety of preferences so the same beans don't work all the time. Otherwise I prefer the Jura machines. Nespresso capsules are very expensive but there's no other way to fulfill conflicting desires in the same place at the same time.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Since this thread is active, I guess I'll post a question I had this morning. Good timing...

So I'm at a hotel with a Nespresso machine. The hotel provided a few capsules of coffee and a few regular tea bags. I'm not a huge fan of coffee and would much prefer to have the tea. Is there any way to make a traditional cup of tea with the machine?

I'm assuming if I don't put a capsule in the machine will just give hot water. However, there's a step by step instruction sign that says the machine will not work unless there's a capsule. I figured I'd post here before making a mess doing something wrong.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
It will work. There won't be any mess.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Since this thread is active, I guess I'll post a question I had this morning. Good timing...

So I'm at a hotel with a Nespresso machine. The hotel provided a few capsules of coffee and a few regular tea bags. I'm not a huge fan of coffee and would much prefer to have the tea. Is there any way to make a traditional cup of tea with the machine?

I'm assuming if I don't put a capsule in the machine will just give hot water. However, there's a step by step instruction sign that says the machine will not work unless there's a capsule. I figured I'd post here before making a mess doing something wrong.
If the machine does not have a separate hot water outlet (at top left on the Delonghi machines), then simply run water through it once to clean it (with the handle down), and then use the second flush for your tea.

I have no idea which unit you have there, but it might be worth your while to look for the manual online if you have the make/model of the Nespresso machine.

Originally Posted by pvs001d
It will work. There won't be any mess.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Some Sofitels have a Nespresso machine which looks like it might not work without a capsule. Didn't look too closely but it looked to be a custom made model for the hotels. Most home capsule machines have a tea making attachment of some sort.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL KM
Does anyone here know-or care-if there is a date code on these little containers?
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Originally Posted by Easy Victor
Does anyone here know-or care-if there is a date code on these little containers?
I don't think there is a date code - but they do write a bit about this in the FAQ: http://www.nespresso.com/#/no/en/cof.../nespresso_faq
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: DL KM
"Hermetically sealed....... to be preserved over several months."

I guess if you don't care when your coffee was packaged, this might work for you. With no date code, you could be getting coffee a year or more old.

Personally, I like to know how old my food is when I consume it. For coffee, I buy freshly roasted and grind it just before I use it.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Thank you everyone for the responses. I just had a nice little cup of tea before my shower.

The machine was a Nespresso Essenza. No other branding. It was simply run the machine without a capsule.

Quite honestly, it wasn't a big deal and I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't see the thread active last night. Thank you again, it was a pleasant surprise for a cold, rainy morning.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Easy Victor
There is a date code on the cartons/sleeves the capsules come in, though not on the capsules themselves.

A few weeks back there was news that some of the Nespresso patents had expired, and a french retailer was planning on selling their own discounted capsules. Anyone hear anything further on this?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:31 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Pro. It's not the greatest espresso available, but, all things considered, it's a wonderful product. It's really a value-add in a hotel room.

I found the Variations 2009, with Apricot, Chestnut Cream, and Gingerbread flavors, to be outstanding.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by FLLDL
There is a date code on the cartons/sleeves the capsules come in, though not on the capsules themselves.

A few weeks back there was news that some of the Nespresso patents had expired, and a french retailer was planning on selling their own discounted capsules. Anyone hear anything further on this?
I'm led to believe that the first tranche of patent expires in 2012 but there is a French company who have already started producing their own capsules for sale in France in May. They are supposedly going to undercut Nestle by 20%

Nestle are said to be exploring their options for the alleged breach.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: CX Diamond, LH Senator
I love Nespresso!

I purchased my first machine in 2002 and haven't looked back. Prior, I too went through the ritual of purchasing beans, grinding them manually etc, but found it took too much time/mess etc.

Someone in the industry told me that a nice feesh kilo of Arabica/Robusta blend (60:40) will be fresh for about 5 days after the bag is unsealed. After that, the natural oils in the beans become rancid. No problems in our office where we use ca. 2kg per day.

But at home, I might only have one cup or two max on a weekend. So the Nespresso system is ideal. Fresh coffee, high quality, no mess to prepare, and the capsules are delivered on the 3rd working day (Australia). Yes, the cup is expensive, but still cheaper than going out.

The Vienna nespresso shop/bar only gives out coffee to those with intention to purchase and upon presentation of membership card. Pity really, I know of a few people who used to hold business meetings upstairs because of the coffee...

By the way, the commercial Nespresso Gemini system uses flat pods rather than capsules, and contains a couple of grams more of coffee... Really cool action as it sucks in the pod a bit like a CD into the slot.

NG1Fan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.