Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Restaurant Pet Peeves" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Consolidated "Restaurant Pet Peeves" thread

I just absolutely hate it when servers come up to my table and say how are you "guys" doing. It seems to go on at every restaurant and it needs to stop. Also when they put their dirty fingers inside glasses, eww disgusting. Let me know what you hate about restaurants.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate it when restaurants aren't busy, but they still "clump" diners together in one small section. We eat out to have a relaxing and pleasant experience, not because we're lonely and feel a need to be part of a herd.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel
I hate it when restaurants aren't busy, but they still "clump" diners together in one small section. We eat out to have a relaxing and pleasant experience, not because we're lonely and feel a need to be part of a herd.
they do this so they don't have to open up another section, thus wasting money. But this is really annoying and kinda gross. I don't wanna watch people eat.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:15 pm

We hate this too We've had it happen over and over again.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"What kind of bottled water would you like?"

...tap.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I'll take that one step further. I hate it when restaurants aren't busy, period. It's totally creepy to be the only diners (or one of just a few tables) in a restaurant. I've been known to walk in and walk right out if there aren't a decent number of tables filled. It has nothing to do with perceived quality of the food or service or anything like that, it's simply about heads in the establishment.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:44 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I hate it when 2 of us dine in a half empty restaurant and they put us on the smallest 2 Table and leave the roomier 4 Tables empty all night, especially mid-week.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jjlankin
I just absolutely hate it when servers come up to my table and say how are you "guys" doing. It seems to go on at every restaurant and it needs to stop.
Agreed. For some reason, "folks" wouldn't bother me but "guys" is annoying.

On a similar note, whenever I'm cheerfully asked, "How are we today?" I reply "We're fine, and how are we?"

The first time somebody asks "How are we guys today?" I swear I'll walk out.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Originally Posted by jjlankin
I just absolutely hate it when servers come up to my table and say how are you "guys" doing. It seems to go on at every restaurant and it needs to stop. Also when they put their dirty fingers inside glasses, eww disgusting. Let me know what you hate about restaurants.
The 'guys' thing gets under my skin.

The other is when they interrupt our conversation to say 'how is everything'. Everything was fine until you came and interrupted our conversation with your inane questions. Now bugger off. If I need you, I'll rattle your cage.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
I hate restaurants with white napkins only. I know a number of restaurants will offer a black napkin if you ask. Stand up after a meal using a white napkin and the lint is horrible.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyb
I hate it when restaurants aren't busy, period. It's totally creepy to be the only diners (or one of just a few tables) in a restaurant. I've been known to walk in and walk right out if there aren't a decent number of tables filled. It has nothing to do with perceived quality of the food or service or anything like that, it's simply about heads in the establishment.
creepy

if you dont mind me asking, im just curious >
what % is "decent"?
how big of a restaurant?
what price level?
do you always eat out at "busy" times?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 24, 2008 at 7:46 pm
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
How do you feel about having waiters come up to check at hotel buffets?

It's one thing to come up and check the first time, but to come back again and again... I understand the waiter is working for tips but for buffets, I will help myself.

Move on, nothing to see here!
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
I dislike it (intensely) when they are in a rush to clear plates. "Are you still working on that?" is the most common and totally inappropriate question asked. I suspect they mean well, but it sounds like eating their food is such a chore. It just sounds rude.

I especially dislike it if my companions are still enjoying their meal and the server wants to take mine away. It sort of rushes them also if I sit there with nothing in front of me, and what if, heavens, I was saving half my entree to share with my husband?

Well, like almost everyone I'm also not too fond of "My name is Bubba and I'll be your server tonight."
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:10 pm

I hate hate hate watching someone wander around, picking up peoples' dirty glasses, filling them with water, and moving on to the next one, spreading god knows what from glass to glass. It's that hard to pour from a few inches above?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lili
I dislike it (intensely) when they are in a rush to clear plates. "Are you still working on that?" is the most common and totally inappropriate question asked. I suspect they mean well, but it sounds like eating their food is such a chore. It just sounds rude.

I especially dislike it if my companions are still enjoying their meal and the server wants to take mine away. It sort of rushes them also if I sit there with nothing in front of me, and what if, heavens, I was saving half my entree to share with my husband?

Well, like almost everyone I'm also not too fond of "My name is Bubba and I'll be your server tonight."

that's a BIG problem for my wife...and thus me...it's rude to everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.