Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Restaurant Pet Peeves" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Highest on my annoying list is the waitperson who REEKS of cigarette smoke as they take your order and re-REEKSs with refreshed cigarette smoke upon each re-visit. Also detest the waitperson who tries to up-sell everything (cocktails, bottled water, special wines, desserts, after dinner drinks etc).

MisterNice
That's a BIG +1 don't know why I didn't think of that.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I must say I agree with almost all of the pet peeves listed so far I also dislike being asked if we want "water" for the table with the underlying assumption that "water" means some expensive bottled water. Bottled water is on the menu - if I want it then I'll order it. Being asked - is a good way to get the "no - bottled water is not environmentally friendly" response from me which usually results in an embarrassed wait-person.

I also detest wait-persons who over-fill wine glasses and/or top up too frequently (like every time you take a sip).
Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pschafer
I must say I agree with almost all of the pet peeves listed so far I also dislike being asked if we want "water" for the table with the underlying assumption that "water" means some expensive bottled water. Bottled water is on the menu - if I want it then I'll order it. Being asked - is a good way to get the "no - bottled water is not environmentally friendly" response from me which usually results in an embarrassed wait-person.
I guess I'm in the minority -- I don't mind being asked, just as I don't mind being asked if I'd like a cocktail before dinner. We like to have sparkling water with our meals, so we always say, "yes," when asked about water. My recollection, too, is that we're always asked in restaurants in Europe.

I also detest wait-persons who over-fill wine glasses and/or top up too frequently (like every time you take a sip).
I will never complain about a glass of wine being too full.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by PTravel

Me neither I could never be so lucky.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:56 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
It's not really a restaurant exclusive, but people who don't know me asking "how things are going?" or "how are you tonight?" or some such thing.

Every so often i respond with "Mediocre, thanks for asking" or "Miserable, get me a drink."
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Fredd
On a similar note, whenever I'm cheerfully asked, "How are we today?" I reply "We're fine, and how are we?"
I was asked in a physician's office, "Are we still at 100 Main Street?"

I replied, "I live there but I don't know about you."

The secretary was steamed.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
I will. Wine, especially red wine, should never fill a glass more than half full, so that much the vapors that have come off the surface will stay in the glass, and the aroma will enhance the taste of the wine as you drink it.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
Originally Posted by SJC1K
I will. Wine, especially red wine, should never fill a glass more than half full, so that much the vapors that have come off the surface will stay in the glass, and the aroma will enhance the taste of the wine as you drink it.
Well, good thing i think red wine tastes and smells like gym socks And i've been well educated in the subject and tasted some of the best. It's just not my personal fave.

If you're being given it by someone who doesn't know you're probably not in a fine dining establishment that really cares in the first place or really carries anything that's worth that kind of effort. Kinda like how chicken nuggets don't belong on good china.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:36 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
After reading this thread, I have new sympathy for people who work at restaurants.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:35 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
Me (or my wife): Can I have a glass of water please?

Waiter/Waitress: Still or sparkling?

Me (or my wife): Tap with ice is fine.

I can't really say this is a pet peeve, because the restaurant is in business to make money and some people do like their bottled water and are willing to pay for it. It was actually here on FlyerTalk someone pointed out there's that third tap option, but the waiters are trained to just give you the two options because instinctively, you just purchased that bottle of water. It took my wife a while to not fall victim to it (we eat out a lot), but we've got it down to a science now. Half the time you're just getting purified tap water anyway!

My other pet peeves:

1) Not having free re-fills on soft drinks (especially if they're fountain drinks).

2) Unlike others here, not refilling my water gets to me.

3) Taking my plate before others at my table are done.

4) If we're having multiple courses, do not bring two at the same time (certain touristy steakhouses in NYC are known for bringing salad and appetizer at the same time or shortly after one another). If I feel rushed, there's a very good chance of me ordering a small cup of coffee and savoring it.

5) I used to have a pet peeve about the check coming before I asked . . . but, as an American Ex-pat in London right now, where you don't ever get the check until you physically ask, I'd prefer more of a happy medium--perhaps with dessert automatically.

6) Service charge added. I now always ask for it to be removed (which in most states/countries is legal) and then leave my own tip (its usually more than the auto-charge, but I like to have it at my discretion).

I guess that's a lot of pet peeves . . . but that's really all they are . . . personally, I think no matter where you dine, you'll encounter something that bothers you because we each have our own personal preferences and as we can see from this board, what one likes, another hates. So, my pet peeves might sound picky, but they don't all really get me all that bothered.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:17 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
When dining in a small group (say around 4 to 6 people), having a significant delay betwen various people getting their meals - eg. my main course arrives 5 minutes after the person next to me receives theirs. No problems with them commencing eating theirs when it arrives, but they should all arrive at about the same time.

Being asked "How was your meal?" or "did you enjoy your meal?", no matter the good intent of the question. Almost comes across as a bit of a challenge..."Well, how did you like it, punk? The chef has a particularly large cleaver with him tonight!" But the question should not be asked at all...let diners offer an opinion if they wish to, and not feel compelled by politeness to answer the question.

I like it when, especially if you're in a reasonable sized dining group, the waiter knows when serving it, exactly what dish is for what person. Too often, a waiter will walk out and ask the table "Who had the rare sirloin" or somesuch.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:18 am

Programs: CO One Pass, Lifetime PC, 1/5 to 1M
Originally Posted by jjlankin
I just absolutely hate it when servers come up to my table and say how are you "guys" doing.
If I am called "honey" (or worse, "hun"), or "dear" the tip goes down significantly.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cupertino
If I am called "honey" (or worse, "hun"), or "dear" the tip goes down significantly.
If the waitress is cute and calls me "honey," the tip goes up. Now that I think of it, though, I can't remember the last time anyone called me "honey" (including my wife). Ah, the joys of late middle of age.
ariel81 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:14 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Living in the land of sweet iced tea (and not liking it (the sweet tea, not the land)) can be a challenge. If I am not ordering a real drink I generally get iced tea. I have to specify that I would like an unsweetended tea. The tea is then brought to the table and many times a small mountain of pink, blue or yellow packets arrives with it without a chance for me to say "no thank you." Then comes the refill. I have to watch very carefully or I could end up with with sweeat tea dumped into my pristine tea. It can be so tiring to keep a vigilant watch over my drink.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:11 pm

Programs: Amtrak AGR
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I was asked in a physician's office, "Are we still at 100 Main Street?"

I replied, "I live there but I don't know about you."

The secretary was steamed.

Being a complete DOG, I respond - I live there and I've been waiting for you to stop by.

I did something like that in my Internists office - to his wife (a cutie)

Last edited by RRrich; Apr 27, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.