Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Food that's nasty no matter how you look at it...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food that's nasty no matter how you look at it...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by redbeard911
Gas station hot dogs.
There have been 2 or 3 instances, which we won't get into, when the gas station hot dog has seemingly been the most delicious thing I had ever eaten.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Tripe (menudo) prepared any which way.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by ColoBill1
"Authentic" Mexican food....made with shredded cheddar cheese.
You must believe that the cheese used on most "authentic" Mexican food in the US, "Jack" is Mexican, simply because some of it once came from Monterrey. I can find you a lot of authentic Mexican food not made with Queso Asadero, Cotija or Fresco, rarely available (even on a limited basis ) in Colorado. Actually, domestic "Cheddar" tastes more like some Mexican cheeses than does the Jack cheese so often used instead of orange Cheddar.

I will admit that Velveeta brought about the invention of "Chile con Queso", not Mexican at all, but that El Mat, El Toro, Joe Garcia's, La Fonda anda few others used Cheddar with no loss of "Authentico". After all, both owners and cooks shared the heritage. For the "authentic" alternative to Chile con Queso, "Queso Flameado", neither Cheddar or Jack works well.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Pretty much anything encased in Aspic. I don't know why it offends me the way it does, but ...gag!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by nordic1
Pretty much anything encased in Aspic. I don't know why it offends me the way it does, but ...gag!
I completely agree. Aspic is truly nasty.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Chitterlings are revolting upon first smell, no need to look. I am stupid enough to have ignored the smell and look, and let me tell you that the taste is appropriately nasty.

Dog, however, is not revolting. It is a lean, red meat that is quite tasty on the grill.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:53 pm

Programs: HA Gold, Wn CP, US Silver, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres Circle*, HH silver,
head cheese.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Ahhhh-you beat me too it.
Almost any thing that involves rotting food is disgusting.
Balut is not rotten. It is fertilized duck egg. And actually doesn't taste that bad.. just don't look at what you eat. Not sure if it has anything to do with Vietnam, but in Chicago Vietnam town they seill it as 'baloot', which is a filipino name for it.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Chitterlings are revolting upon first smell, no need to look. I am stupid enough to have ignored the smell and look, and let me tell you that the taste is appropriately nasty.
They're best when you still find a grain or two of corn in them.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Pork rinds. They leave your mouth with a fuzzy feeling. Yuck!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
My own favorite "nasty" example is the use of silicone products (dimethicone? simethicone? I forget) in fast food fry oils.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA1P - Hilton Diamond
I love Chinese food (the real one, served in China), but once they brought a huge bowl in the middle of a table. In the bowl there was some type of soup... and in the soup there were those huge boiled, stringy geese wings. That - to me - was nasty looking... never tried to taste it.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:06 am

Portions of the post that previously appeared in this space has been deleted. I would provide you with a reason why, but doing so would likely be against the TOS.

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Dec 18, 2008 at 8:47 am
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:53 am

Chitterlings

Go on.... google it!!
Old Feb 12, 2008, 5:20 pm

Sea urchins, vegemite, Chinese fermented eggs, and stir-fried red ants and giant waterbugs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.