Search

Tipping on room service [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, AA Gold, HI Platinum; every other airline and hotel chain
Tipping on room service [merged]

Since it's dining I'll post this here.

I've often wondered about tipping on room service. There is usually the service fee included; but how much of that goes to the guy who delivers my meal?

The always have the tip section on the bill and I usually throw on a couple of bucks, but I never know what is appropriate in these cases.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
If the order comes on time and the person delivering it sets it up in the room (as opposed to dropping it and hands me the check), I usually will give something extra like $5 in cash (or more if there is more than one tablesetting). This way I've given it directly to the delivery person and if he/she chooses to share with someone else that's their decision. I've gotten many appreciative responses by doing this.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 3:00 pm

I think it's quite acceptable, appropriate, and sane to tip only once! The mandatory tip is usually fairly high already, and that's for what is decidedly limited service. (Here's your food, bye!). As to how the tips are split, it's not really my business.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:00 pm

A timely subject for me since I ordered room service at a 'W' this weekend. The 'service charge' was $3.50 and the 'gratuity' was 22%. In addition, the service charge was added before the gratuity so that, in effect, I was charged an additional 22% on the service charge. A $13.00 cheeseburger became $20.00 and change plus tax (total about $21.50). Frankly, I think that's enough for a person to make a short trip to a room, set the tray down and say, 'have a nice evening'. How they split up the charge/gratuity is up to them as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, they overcharged me $2.50 for the burger and, even though they adjusted that when I pointed it out, they didn't adjust the gratuity.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is promptly delivered and well set-up on applicable meals, I'll thrown in about $4-6.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:25 am

yeah. i've always wondered about this. is there a minimum tip??
Old Jan 8, 2008, 1:46 am

Programs: AA Gold .25 MM :) & Marriott Gold
I usually tip on top of the added service charges and gratuities because one of the following inevitably occurs: (1) it's a hotel I've become a regular at and the room servers remember me; (2) I'm starving after resisting food at the airport or on the plane and the service is very timely, and (3) I remember my table-waiting days. At some Marriotts, I've noticed there are only 1-2 regular room service staff members M-F, and these guys/gals work their butts off. So, I throw in the extra few dollars (cash is preferable for all those collecting tips ).
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:48 pm
ROC

Tipping for Room Service meals

Hi,

I'm staying at a 5 star hotel in California, and will be ordering room service tonight. There is a 20% service charge added to the bill for room service. So, does that cover the tip? Or am I still expected to tip on top of that? And if so, how much should I tip?

I've actually been fairly generous with tipping on this holiday, but don't want to tip where I don't have to.

Cheers!
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
That service charge is your tip. You'll probably also be charged a delivery fee on top of that 20%.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will still put a line on the receipt for you to add additional gratuity. Feel free to add zero extra.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
They will still put a line on the receipt for you to add additional gratuity. Feel free to add zero extra.
+1^. Bad enough being forced to pay a 20% tip regardless of service but the extra line for extra will never get more than a big fat zero from me.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I've never given a tip for room service. Ever.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I've never given a tip for room service. Ever.
^ The 'forced' tip is bad enough when you are paying for overpriced food to begin with. Add bad service to the mix and you feel like you were the mark in a tourist scam.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
No way. Don't tip on top of a 20% "service charge" or whatever they want to call it. Totally unnecessary.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
As others say, don't tip on top of the 18 to 20% service charge. That's just theft!!! Especially where there is "ALSO" a delivery charge. Ha. Try asking if you can go down and pick up the delivery yourself. Double ha. The price padding is just obscene and insulting to the intelligence.

I no longer order from hotel room service -- too many slimy and questionable practices. They'll put out their hands and pretend they don't understand English when you point out that you already paid the service charge. Scrawl "no" or "zero" or another word that can't easily be altered on the "gratuity" line, don't just put a zero, they'll change that to $10 or $20.

Call a pizza place, have them deliver, and tip that guy generously instead. You'll come out way ahead, and the pizza might even be edible, as opposed to the "five star" room service menu which often comes from the lowest tier kitchen in the entire resort. Ugh. Pizza guys are slipping in more and more to the hotels, and I for one welcome them, although I suppose hotel security will chase them out if they notice. So them I'd tip very well for their trouble.

I consider myself generous. However, I don't reward scammers. You make it more difficult for everyone when you do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.