The consolidated "Mexican food & Mexican food restaurants in the U.S." thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated "Mexican food & Mexican food restaurants in the U.S." thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Since meat has traditionally been a luxury to lower income ranges, everyday Mexican chorizo is made from organ meats. "Cuban" chorizo is something quite different, only vaguely connected to either the Spanish "cured" original and the Mexican to which you're accustomed.
In this case, the problem was that the Hialeah comapny was making and marketing a product they called "Mexican-style chorizo" but it was nothing like what I grew up with (it could very well have been more like the Cuban recipe/product that you are describing).

There is a concentration of Mexican restaurants down in Homestead (far south Dade county, nat the threshhold to the Keys) that service a Maxican migrant worker's community. Some of those restaurants were using the Mexican style, however, the drive down there was quite far, as I live in central Broward. However, the good news is that the small market attached to Dona Raquel's restaurant mentioned above sells the same chorizo used in the restuarant - this is where I now buy it for when I want to cook my own.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Rubio's Baja Grill! ^
Oh boy! I had forgotten about Rubio's. Shame on me!!! I just had a good lunch there last week too. Thanks for reminding me!

Last edited by fabulousflygirl; Sep 14, 2008 at 10:17 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Rubio's Baja Grill! ^
...founded in San Diego by Americans who got the idea while surfing in Baja California. The first location in Pacific Beach is still there.

Growing up in San Diego, I loved the Roberto's, Alberto's, Hilberto's, Adalberto's, Humberto's, etc. Rolled tacos and quesadilla. Yummy!
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:55 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by redbeard911
...Growing up in San Diego, I loved the Roberto's, Alberto's, Hilberto's, Adalberto's, Humberto's, etc. Rolled tacos and quesadilla. Yummy!
Going to college in SD I loved these as well as the street food in TJ.

Now I'm stuck in the hades that is our nation's capital.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Yes there are lots of Mexican restaurants now across the US but good? Not so much. But then after several years living in El Paso I'm spoiled
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
Smile

When a place has Jaramillo brand soda pop in bright colors in the cooler, it ain't aiming at Anglos....
Good post... but what is Jaramillo brand soda?

Most local Mexican places around here carry Jarritos brand, and its colorful and very popular.

--Russ
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:11 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by JerseyVics
Good post... but what is Jaramillo brand soda?

Most local Mexican places around here carry Jarritos brand, and its colorful and very popular.

--Russ

My Bad! It's Jarritos.... ...And these days, Senorial brand "Sangia" non alcoholic soda pop and Mexican Coca Cola made with cane sugar.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Bama: I am thinking Michigan UP. That has to be my bet for a place without too many Mexican restaurants. At least nothing decent. (I only say that because I've never been there, and just seems so remote to me).
I lived in da UP for a few years. If you wanted Mexican food, there was a so-so place in Escanaba that I went to on occasion. It was clearly an establishment aimed at gringos, but vastly superior to nothing.

I was also pretty underwhelmed by the Mexican food available in Phoenix the last time I went. I think I'm almost better to go to the taqueria a few blocks from home. Jarritos in the window. Lengua in the tacos.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by gre
Going to college in SD I loved these as well as the street food in TJ.

Now I'm stuck in the hades that is our nation's capital.
as another UCSD alum who decided that he enjoyed life just a bit north of Hades... can testify that there's some excellent Mexican food in the farm country south of Philly/West of Delaware in Kennet Square, PA... A place called Moroleon is absolutely fantastic.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
You CAN NOT find good mexican food in Miami Dade County. Tons of Latin American food but not mexican.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:44 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by civicmon
as another UCSD alum ...
How'd you know UCSD ('86, 3rd College) and not SDSU? Because I could form a sentence?

Most of the miserable, tasteless Mexican food down here is premade and put in the freezer for future reheating, except for the tacos where they use hard premade shells ala Taco Bell, or even worse, flour tortillas.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Steph3n
You CAN NOT find good mexican food in Miami Dade County. Tons of Latin American food but not mexican.
Because of the Mexican migrant workers down in the Homestead area (admittedly in the extreme southern end of M-D, but still in the county limits), there are some decent places down there:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/nf/12/1118...an-restaurants
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: Miles N More, One World

The original "Chile con queso" was a dish of white cheese topped with cooked, crumbled chorizo then broiled to melting. Ummm, good!
Out here in Douglas AZ they call it Queso Fundido
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: Miles N More, One World
You can't get Mexican food in New Mexico,

One a trip from AZ to Denver we stopped off in Taos for the night.
When asking the B&B owner where we could eat mexican food, her reply was
"well we're New Mexican and we dont cook mexican food here".
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Lufthomie
You can't get Mexican food in New Mexico,

One a trip from AZ to Denver we stopped off in Taos for the night.
When asking the B&B owner where we could eat mexican food, her reply was
"well we're New Mexican and we dont cook mexican food here".
You go to Taos for the bread. I found decent Mexican in Santa Fe 30 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.