Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How does Chipotle compare to Rubio's or Baja Fresh?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does Chipotle compare to Rubio's or Baja Fresh?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Question How does Chipotle compare to Rubio's or Baja Fresh?

While we've driven by several Chipotles, the closest one is about six miles away and we just haven't tried them yet. Have been a fan of Baja Fresh for YEARS and recently started getting tacos at Rubio's for an occasional lunch. Is Chipotle any different? Just a newer fresh fast Mexican restaurant? Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:41 pm

Programs: CO-Silver, Hertz, Marriott Silver, Hilton
Baja Fresh has a wider of range of offerings on their menu. Chipotle is mainly a build-your-own (gigantic) burrito place. You can also get tacos and salads there, but it's known for its customization. You pick out the type of salsa, veggies, meat, beans, rice, etc., that you want in your burrito/taco/salad/whatever.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Chipotle is VERY simple but really really really bad for you..Check out their nutrition counter on the website and just build a typical burrito and see how many calories and all that it has. That being said, it's so delicious. Compared to Rubios, it doesn't have anywhere near the variety that Rubios has and no fish tacos at all. Compared to Baja Fresh, basically same story. IMHO, I rank Chipotle 3rd out of those choices.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:54 pm

Programs: Various
Since you're So Cal based, here's a few of my tips for places to try:

Chipotle is not one of my favorites, some people rave about it. It's under the parent company of McDonald's. I'd rate it at the bottom of my list, everything seems seasoned improperly.

Baja Fresh is good mostly because I like the salsa bar. It's parent company used to be the same as Wendy's. I'd rate it in the middle of my list.

FINS is good, but used to be better and they closed many locations. I'd say they have one of the better fish tacos. K-38 is my choice of meal. I'd rate them closer to the top of my list.

Wahoo's is good, but big on piling on the beans and rice-less, small on the entree. To me everything besides the fish taco is good here. I'd rate it closer to the top of my list as well.

La Salsa is very good, but seems to be on the pricey side. Their salsa bar is good and menu selections are decent. I'd rate it near the top of my list.

Taco Mesa is excellent. They have creative menu items that taste authentic and the only thing I don't like is they are only in Orange County. Probably #1 on my list, worth the effort to go to this place!! (Plus they serve beer!!)

Rubio's is good, fairly consistent, better are the fish tacos compared to most of the rest of the menu. I'd rate it somewhere above the middle, but below the top of the list.

Sharky's is my current pick. They serve Organic food and it tastes good (especially the brown rice if you can believe that). Limited locations, but they're fairly new.

Speaking of favorites, there's a place on the web to visit that I like to check now and then for restaurant picks. Give it a try: Chowhound
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Didn't McDonalds sell off Chipotle? I agree with your list for the most part, especially about Fins.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UCBeau
Chipotle is VERY simple but really really really bad for you..
THAT is why we stopped going to Baja Fresh. We didn't go very often, but like everything we've had. When DH read how many calories are really in the burritos, he decided to skip them for awhile. Partly that we are trying to lose weight.... I doubt Baja Fresh is really any worse than any other, it's just that we liked several things and took the time to read the nutritional online info.
Originally Posted by Robt760
FINS is good, but used to be better and they closed many locations. I'd say they have one of the better fish tacos. K-38 is my choice of meal. I'd rate them closer to the top of my list.

Taco Mesa is excellent. They have creative menu items that taste authentic and the only thing I don't like is they are only in Orange County. Probably #1 on my list, worth the effort to go to this place!! (Plus they serve beer!!)
Interesting list. These are two I am unfamiliar with. Also, part of it is proximity. Baja Fresh and Rubio's are VERY close and Sharky's is a mile farther.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
WOW, even skipping the rice puts a Chipotle burrito up over 1,000 calories if you include sour cream and guacamole.

I don't like Wahoos...the contents are often dry and I hate the mound of cabbage they layer on the tacos.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally got around to trying a Chipolte, and I thought it was pretty good. It was way too much food. I can't eat that much anymore. If they had a smaller size I might eat there more often.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA
I don't particularly care for Baja Fresh. Maybe it was just the one I ate at, but it was a lot of money for very little food. I'd much prefer eating at Rubio's, where I never felt ripped off!

Miss Fins, though. They were a part of Mileage Plus Dining

Wahoo's piles on the cabbage. I'd scoop some of it out so I could taste what I was eating.

Chipotle's good if you're really, really hungry (or not watching weight) as their portions are enormous.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K!, NWA PE
Originally Posted by bocastephen
WOW, even skipping the rice puts a Chipotle burrito up over 1,000 calories if you include sour cream and guacamole.

I don't like Wahoos...the contents are often dry and I hate the mound of cabbage they layer on the tacos.
Not to mention that a chipolte burrito will often weigh more than barbell... my colleague brought one back for lunch that felt like 2 lbs.

I would say Chipolte is great for a family, because 1 item on the menu would feed 4.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
THAT is why we stopped going to Baja Fresh. We didn't go very often, but like everything we've had. When DH read how many calories are really in the burritos, he decided to skip them for awhile. Partly that we are trying to lose weight.... I doubt Baja Fresh is really any worse than any other, it's just that we liked several things and took the time to read the nutritional online info.Interesting list. These are two I am unfamiliar with. Also, part of it is proximity. Baja Fresh and Rubio's are VERY close and Sharky's is a mile farther.

I've never been to FINS, but Taco Mesa is first rate. I was introduced to it a few months ago. Taco Mesa has a location in Costa Mesa off 19th St. a few blocks somewhere west of the DMW. They have another location in Orange off Chapman and Prospect in the same mall as the In-N-Out. I love their Cream Cheese flan....ooh...that'll kill your diet

I'm not a big fan of Chipotle, although they've been opening them around here like weeds grow.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I grew up on Chipotle in DEN, the original store is at the University of Denver. It is one of my favorites when I am starving, but you are right about the mass of the burritos and the calories.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by UCBeau
Didn't McDonalds sell off Chipotle?
Yes. The transaction was completed in 2006.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
I guess I'll throw in a minority vote for Chipotle. But I tend to keep things simple - my typical burrito @ Chipotle has black beans, barbacoa or chicken, green salsa, and cheese. Definitely not one of those monsters full of rice, guac, sour cream & lettuce. I'd rate Chipotle's guac way ahead of Baja Fresh. OTOH, you can get taquitos at Baja Fresh...
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
All of the calories are in the tortilla. Get a burrito bol if you're trying to lose weight.

Better yet, if you're trying to lose weight, eat at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.