Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Bagels" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum,
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
As a native New Yorker now living in the South, I find it very difficult to get good bagels anywhere outside the NYC area. By "good" I primarily mean chewy, with (optional) strong-flavored, plentiful toppings such as garlic, onion, or salt. Every bagel I've had here in Richmond has the consistency of white bread or a kaiser roll with a hole in it.

I've been to 48 states in my lifetime but have only found two bagel bakers in the entire country, not including NY/NJ/CT, that make true New York-style bagels.

The two places on my list with good NY-style bagels outside NY are:

Bodo's Bagels, Charlottesville, Virginia - all boiled the old-fashioned way, fresh in store, with a good variety of toppings/flavors

Marty's New York Bagel Deli, Anchorage, Alaska - yes, Alaska of all places. Found this gem in an Alaska visitor's guide and checked it out just this past week while in Anchorage. Bagels are a bit on the small side, but have the correct consistency and are also boiled in store. Brought a baker's dozen home to Virginia to eat.

There are bound to be others, and that's where your input comes in! Let us know where you get your bagel fix outside NYC.

^ Bodo's Bagels are goooood. Some friends who were attending UVA for college took me there and they were to die for. So good.
Old May 19, 2006, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
In the Atlanta area, the Palace Bakery located in the Toco Hills shopping center (just northeast of the city limits of Atlanta) has the best bagels I've found in the area.

To be perfectly fair, though, the attached restaurant has a local following but is pretty awful for anything other than their bagels. Your best bet is to get a sackfull of bagels from the bakery counter to go.
Old May 19, 2006, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Believe it or not, until a few years ago bagels were unknown in Israel!

Today, there are several places where you can get acceptable bagels but the best are at Tal Bagels in Tel Aviv. They also have great shmears to put on them, including excellent chopped liver.
Old May 21, 2006, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I've been to 48 states in my lifetime but have only found two bagel bakers in the entire country, not including NY/NJ/CT, that make true New York-style bagels.
Just before I moved away from Marin County, California, a New York guy opened a small deli in San Rafael. Not only did he fly in his pastrami from a smokehouse in Brooklyn, he had "real" New York City water shipped in to use in makling his bagels. He claimed that it was the unique mineral content of the water that made the difference. I remember that the bagels were expensive, but good....
Old May 21, 2006, 7:20 am

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Even farther away from NYC...

Don't laugh but... really far away from NYC you can get some almost decent bagels in Germany at Bagel Brothers (Hannover, Hamburg, Leipzig and probably some others). Not NY bagels, but bagels...and I've waited 20 years for them here! They even have ETs, although the waitress don't even know what ET means (for the non-NYers, EveryThing). Can't tell you how many times I stank up my luggage and 1/2 the plane with the garlic bagels we carried from NY to Europe.
Old May 21, 2006, 11:00 am
Commander Catcop

Is Hoboken far enough outside NYC...

A place called "The Bagel Smashery" has good pressed bagels (I love the garlic

http://www.bagelsmashery.com/history.html

There's also UPtown Bagels in Hoboken, which has two or three locations. Bagels are good, but service can be surly.
Old May 22, 2006, 2:04 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by tdo-ca
Just have H & H FedEx some to you. They keep nicely in the freezer and are better, even after time in the air, than most "local substitutes."
Who's H&H? Do you have contact info or a website?

Living in Hawaii has lots of advantages, but access to NYC deli food isn't one of them.
Old May 22, 2006, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by keeton
In the Atlanta area, the Palace Bakery located in the Toco Hills shopping center (just northeast of the city limits of Atlanta) has the best bagels I've found in the area.

To be perfectly fair, though, the attached restaurant has a local following but is pretty awful for anything other than their bagels. Your best bet is to get a sackfull of bagels from the bakery counter to go.
Other decent bagel places in Atlanta include Goldberg's Bagels (2 locations - Roswell Road / Wieuca Road & West Paces Ferry / Highway 41) and Bagelicious (the "other" Roswell Road in E. Cobb).

RLG - too bad you don't live in HNL...I could bring some ATL bagels to you later this week...
Old May 22, 2006, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RLG
Who's H&H? Do you have contact info or a website?
http://www.handhbagel.com/
Old May 22, 2006, 7:46 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Looks interesting.

You wouldn't happend to have a good source for bialys would you?
Old May 23, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RLG
Looks interesting.

You wouldn't happend to have a good source for bialys would you?
The midtown H&H has 'em

http://www.hhmidtownbagelseast.com/

and Kossar's on Grand

http://www.kossarsbialys.com/
Old May 24, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sangster
^ Bodo's Bagels are goooood. Some friends who were attending UVA for college took me there and they were to die for. So good.
Yuck! I've got to say, you and wahooflyer have lost your taste buds! I'm a native NY'er and live in C'Ville and Bodo's is just terrible. I mean, they're okay when their right out of the oven, but in 20 minutes, they've already begin to turn too hard. Plus, their much too small to compare to NY bagels. My parents brought down a big bag of 'em from Queens last weekend, so I was able to compare.

Honestly ... Bodo's is for Virginians, not ex-pats from NY.
Old May 24, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
The midtown H&H has 'em

http://www.hhmidtownbagelseast.com/

and Kossar's on Grand

http://www.kossarsbialys.com/
Kossar's bialys are very good (not that one has a lot of bialy options, even in NY), and I think their bagels are better than H&H (smaller, less sweet, less fluffy).
Old May 24, 2006, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tenerife
Don't laugh but... really far away from NYC you can get some almost decent bagels in Germany at Bagel Brothers (Hannover, Hamburg, Leipzig and probably some others).
So, you've got decent bagels in Germany but I can't get a NY style bagel in Washington DC in the same time zone??
Old May 25, 2006, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by miki
How about Noah's New York Style Bagels in Seattle? I think they deffinately have the best outside of NYC. They have three locations that I can think of off the top of my head.

One on Broadway in Capitol Hill.
One on Queen Ann Ave. in Queen Ann
and One in University Village in the QFC.
They (Noah's) are also sold in Costco (at least in California).

I don't care if they don't meet some NYC'ers standard, they taste fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.