Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crabbing
opentable wiki

the basics:
1. create an account at opentable.com. i believe you assign your default metro area when you make your account.
2. use the website to find restaurants in the neighborhood of your choice. you can pick a specific neighborhood if you know it. there is a hidden map feature, accessed through an upside-down raindrop.
3. pick the location, time, and number of people in your party. note that some places impose min/max party size.
4. you can also find 1000-point times for certain locations, which appear on the list of times with a "+."

using points:
  • start here to access the list of restaurants that accept opentable gift cards.
  • gift cards are sent via email.
  • OT gift cards are either tied to a specific restaurant, or you can choose a generic card that can be redeemed later (if anyone has done this, please update the wiki as to whether you still have to choose the restaurant and redeem online)
  • note: the number of restaurants that accept OT gift cards is significantly smaller than the number of restaurants that award OT points.

tips and tricks:
  • if a location is not busy or the receptionist is forgetful, they might not remember to check you in, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • you often can be early or late and still get points, but the flexibility depends on the specific restaurant.
  • sometimes they can be flexible on the party size - this is particularly useful if it's just yourself (for places with a min of 2), or you have a large party.
  • if a place doesn't credit, usually an email to OT will get it credited. you might need a receipt as proof.
  • some places credit your points as soon as you check in with the restaurant, while some can wait until several hours later.
  • some restaurants allow reservations but do not award points. some have point-earning times and non-point-earning times. and some really sneaky places give points made through OT, but not through the OT/reservations link on the restaurant's own website. worse, they may set a "session cookie" that ensures your reservation is flagged "no points," so your best bet is to close and reopen your browser to reset the session cookie before making the reservation (or canceling and rebooking).
  • don't forget that OT has nothing to do with how you pay for a meal. so it "stacks" with chase first friday bonuses, rewards network, restaurant.com certificates, coupons, etc.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Open Table" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I've used it to make several NYC restaurant reservations and haven't had any difficulties. I can't say there are any advantages, other than not having to pick up the phone and call the restaurant. I guess the disadvantage is pretty much the same - you don't get to talk to anyone, so there's no chance of "sweet talking" your way into a table.
No advantages???

How about the advantage of earning points for each reservation completed, which can later be redeemed for dollars-off of meals at ANY OpenTable restaurant?

How about the advantage of having a printed confirmation to show, just in case?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:05 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
Consolidated "Open Table" thread

Anybody have any experiences with redeeming through OpenTable.com ?

I made an online reservation for dinner at a restaurants website, and it automatically linked to Opentable and required use of this system...

Interested to hear any experiences... particularly Canadian if there are any...
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
OpenTable

I've used OpenTable.com a bunch of times, but I'm still 200 points (2 dines) short of redemming for a gift certificate.

I've only had one problem with them. That was when I changed a reservation time and I wasn't credited. OpenTable.com emailed me with a warning that I missed my reservation without telling them. They have a whole system built in to dispute that. I did the dispute, as I called the restaurant beforehand and told them I had to change the reservation to 45 min later. OpenTable.com reviewed my dispute, said it was okay and gave me the points for that dine.

Other than that one misunderstanding, I'm quite happy with them. ^
OpenTable.com seems to be in place at a bunch of the higher dollar restaurants in my area.

Steve
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:27 pm

I have never redeemed anything at Opentable.com but I find it's a very useful service for making reservations. Here in DC almost all of the mid and upper scale restaurants are on it, so it makes it very easy to select where you want to go and book it.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used Open Table for reservations many times and find it really convenient. I also have a bunch of points but I really don't keep track of them.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I use it extensively. Very reliable, but I haven't redeemed anything yet.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:58 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I am not seeing it on opentable.com but if it is an option someone wants a referal send me your link and I'll be happy conga with ya.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
I use opentable a lot. I've redeemed two $10 checks so far. You receive them pretty quickly.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:42 am

dinnerbroker.com works pretty much the same way, and has a different set of participating restaurants.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by crabbing
dinnerbroker.com works pretty much the same way, and has a different set of participating restaurants.
Beware - I just checked dinnerbroker for a random restaurant tonight in DC.

The restaurant had availability at 8:30, 9 and 9:30 per OpenTable; per Dinnerbroker, the earliest available was 10 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K
Opentable is GREAT!

Originally Posted by puchalskir
I use opentable a lot. I've redeemed two $10 checks so far. You receive them pretty quickly.
I'm an avid user of the service and built up so many points (for a while, I was only dining at 1,000 point restaurants) that I cashed in for $300 in dining cheques. I blew them all in one night at Michael Mina in downtown SF for my girlfriend's birthday. Fantastic service with great rewards! Highly recommended.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Open Table is reliable and convenient. If time you want isn't avail, you can call restaurant the old fashioned way and seek an accommodation.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
I LOVE opentable. My motto is if you aren't on there, I'm probably not going to eat at your restaurant. I have had only the best experiences with them - no problems to report at all.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:25 am

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
I find Opentable an excellent resource for securing reservations without having to call. If you however need to change your reservation by phone Opentable will mark you as a no show and if you have enough of those you will lose account privileges.

If you book through Opentable more than 12 times in a calendar year you achieve VIP status... surprised no one has mentioned that considering it is FT
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by crhptic
Beware - I just checked dinnerbroker for a random restaurant tonight in DC.

The restaurant had availability at 8:30, 9 and 9:30 per OpenTable; per Dinnerbroker, the earliest available was 10 PM.
good tip. i've only used dinnerbroker when the place i want isn't on opentable; i will continue to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.