Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where can I find good German food in North America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2003, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat

Areas that I am most curious about are:
- Cleveland/Akron
- San Francisco Bay area, esp. Santa Clara County aka Silicon Valley.
- Toronto
- Seattle
- Denver

regards,
ethernetWeasel!
Old May 12, 2003, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Don't know about the places you mention but if you are ever in YVR (one place is quite close to YVR) try:

http://www.flyertalk.com/dining/ftdi...ML/000017.html

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/dining/ftdi...ML/000024.html
Old May 12, 2003, 8:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ethernetWeasel:
Where can I find good German food...</font>
Aha! A trick question!

Old May 12, 2003, 12:34 pm

Maybe you should consider Cincinnati instead of Cleveland. There are some very good German restaurants in that city.. it's always had a large German population.
Old May 12, 2003, 4:43 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zuriga:
Cincinnati instead of Cleveland. There are some very good German restaurants in that city.. it's always had a large German population. </font>
Agreed, Cincinnati also has a HUGE Octoberfest.

I was going to say WI and Milwaukee as other places.

While German food in the US can be good, I believe that if German food in the US was prepared like the food I had in Western Germany (Trier area), that it would be much more popular in the US than it is now.
Old May 13, 2003, 10:50 am

Germantown "Schmitz" in Columbus OH ...
Old May 13, 2003, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zuriga:
Maybe you should consider Cincinnati instead of Cleveland. There are some very good German restaurants in that city.. it's always had a large German population.</font>
Same could be said for Milwaukee and many other areas in the northern midwest. The trouble is that the cuisine (and all others from abroad) is being affected not only by ingredient quality and availability but the taste of the U.S.-born descendants. Not to say the food isn't good but it invariably starts to differ from how it is prepared and served in its homeland.

The best thing is to find a restaurant with German chefs and hope that they still prepare and cook food classically.
Old May 14, 2003, 9:30 pm

Jasper, Indiana - a small town in southern Indiana between Louisville, Ky., and Evansville, Ind. I've heard it called "Little Munich" for its Bavarian-American population.
Old May 15, 2003, 11:03 am

The German "Sausage Guy" has a cart on 5th ave in NYC. Around MoMA, I think.
Old May 16, 2003, 11:28 am

Some of the best Germany food I've had here in the US is at the Soldatenstube, Redstone Arsenal, AL. It was started to feed the German scientist. Nice German sized portions, and more of a selection than wurst.
Old May 17, 2003, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JeremyZ:
The German "Sausage Guy" has a cart on 5th ave in NYC. Around MoMA, I think.</font>
I'll have to check that out. If you consider Jewish food to be German to some extent, there is a lot of German in NYC. OTOH, non-Jewish German is almost completely absent in NYC. There is a place on 48th and west of 9th on the south side of 48th which is very good, but the cooks are Turkish/German. Agreed that German food in the US is NOT the best that German food can be. That said, Berghoff's in Chicago is well-known and popular. Is Little Heidelberg on North Lincoln still there? Schulien's was always one of the better neighborhood places in St. Ben's nabe of Chicago, but it's an Irish sports bar now - , like Chicago needs another one of those ...
Old May 18, 2003, 3:52 am

Programs: UA
For the Seattle area, try Leavenworth, the Andreas Keller Restaurant. Say a hi to Heide, the owner, lovely lady who spend her youth in northern bavaria. They have also an (imported) german cook.

Skip New Braunfels, TX, they might play big german town, but after living there... they have good Texmex, leave it there.
Overall I found in the US german style food very stereotypical. We have a lot more than Schweinshaxn on our tables!

Uh, for the Seattle area, if you are buying meet, there is on Pike place market a german butcherer, left to a fish stand. Very nice guy and according a friend of mine good quality meat (I am a vegetarian).
I have a friend living in Stockton, CA, who swears on their local german restaurant. Never been there, but he goes there since 20 years.
Old May 19, 2003, 4:26 pm

Although it's not located in one of the cities you mentioned, if you are ever in Detroit, check out one of its jewels, The Dakota Inn. A true German establishment with excellent German food, drink, and entertainment. www.dakota-inn.com
Old May 19, 2003, 7:35 pm

Programs: None, but flying a lot more Delta these days
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Daydream:
Uh, for the Seattle area, if you are buying meet, there is on Pike place market a german butcherer, left to a fish stand. Very nice guy and according a friend of mine good quality meat (I am a vegetarian).
I have a friend living in Stockton, CA, who swears on their local german restaurant. Never been there, but he goes there since 20 years.
</font>
That is Uli's Sausage and is indeed quite good. They make the sausage in the backroom right at the market. They will also cook up a sandwich for you if you want to eat your sausage as you shop.

http://www.ulisfamoussausage.com/
Old May 21, 2003, 1:46 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ethernetWeasel:

Areas that I am most curious about are:

- Seattle

regards,
ethernetWeasel!
</font>

In Seattle I STRONGLY reccomend going to the Bavarian Meats shop in the Pike Place Market. While it is not a restaurant, they do have pretty much everything edible *from* Germany (and not some faux-German like Leavenworth, WA) and I am sure that they can reccomend a restaurant.

The staff is either German or first generation American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.