Wiki Posts
Search

Insurance for wine collection?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free Agent
Insurance for wine collection?

So I took inventory of my wine collection, and it was a bit more extensive/expensive than I had realized

Does anybody insure their wine? If so, can you point me to an insurance broker or company that I can get a quote from? Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Condition One
So I took inventory of my wine collection, and it was a bit more extensive/expensive than I had realized

Does anybody insure their wine? If so, can you point me to an insurance broker or company that I can get a quote from? Thanks!
interesting.. on a similar vein would anyone know one that can insure a whiskey collection?

FDW
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My wine is on my general household policy, which is one which covers fine art etc. I have to itemise any item over £2000 but sadly none of my bottles are over that amount. The only thing which now occurs to me is whether an unopened case counts as 12 items or one....
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You should check with your current carrier/broker. Many times an additional rider to your coverage is easier & less expensive than a solo policy which may have many conditions or exceptions.
That is unless we're talking really substantial value for your collection. Then you'll want something more specialized like offered here: http://insureyourwine.com/wine-insur...SAAEgLOo_D_BwE
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I found insureyourwine.com on my own, and got a price quote of $275 for $50,000. I'm going that route.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Thanks! I found insureyourwine.com on my own, and got a price quote of $275 for $50,000. I'm going that route.
Did they indicate who the actual insurance company is that they are placing the policy through?

$275 seems like a fantastic price; what is the deductible?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

There is no deductible for fire, theft, breakage, or spoilage. Flood and storm deductibles are 10% or $5000, whichever is higher.

Insurance is through AIG.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Member

There is no deductible for fire, theft, breakage, or spoilage. Flood and storm deductibles are 10% or $5000, whichever is higher.

Insurance is through AIG.
I'm impressed.

I owned a small insurance agency for over 40 years and the price, coverage and company make it look like a great value
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Is it not covered by a general homeowners policy?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Is it not covered by a general homeowners policy?
Most homeowners policies will cover wine the same as any other content. however, the coverage is limited to the perils insured against ( contents coverage is usually not as broad as building coverage) and there is no particular value assigned to each bottle or case.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:50 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

what do the insurance groups use for valuation? Auction sales? price paid? I have a good amount of bourbon who's street value is much more than what I paid for it, but don't know it they will take the sales on a Facebook group for valuation....

FDW
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.