Wiki Posts
Search

Alternatives to Starbucks?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by emma69
A friend of mine who is a 'no fuss black coffee' drinker says that McDonalds do a decent cup.
I think it improved when they reformulated but McDonald's coffee still tastes like a cigarette to me.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Get off my lawn!!! LOL just kidding

I feel that way too

like another poster said, I use my coffee maker and at the office we have free coffee in the pantry so I seldom use SBUX. I used to go a couple of times a day until they priced me out of the market as $2.06 for a tall just isn't worth what I'm getting in return.

I do have the app loaded with some cash for when I am traveling though and their coffee is the same as all the other chains. DD is ok but the difference to me is minimal. Actually DD coffee is too hot for me; I can never drink their coffee until I'm 10 minutes down the road

I'm not sure what chains are around DFW but around here its SBUX, DD, or Peets

Around LAX I'll add Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.

So maybe some DFW area FT'ers can direct you to something more local but all in all, get a good coffee maker for home and or work and you should be happy.
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Yeah. It's called your kitchen. The folks there always know how you like your coffee, and it can be made so that it's available to you at EXACTLY the same time every day. No lines. If there's a custom order, it's only because you placed it. And it's amazingly cheaper than Starbucks.

You're welcome.
Originally Posted by gaobest
After reading OP response, I wondered if it was possible to return home Inbetween school drop off and work. Otherwise why not bring a thermos of coffee and have other relaxation moment before work?

I'm very happy with my home coffeemaker - mind you I only got one this year after 2 decades of buying coffee at local cafes etc. I'm very late. But I'm thrilled to do it. I'll still buy coffee on holiday.

There is a cost and environmental savings. I own SBUX stock as stock and part of DIA etf. Better financial return.

But let's also remember OP and that the request is for coffee shop alternatives, not a lifestyle alternative :-)

Yum yum
Message received: do it your damn self!

FYI...I tried the mobile app this morning with good results; got lucky on the parking lot situation, so the experience was better than the day before.

@dchristiva...you're even more crotchety than I am. I suppose if I asked for a really good place to get a perfectly cooked stead you would direct me to the grill in my backyard.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you're in New York, you have many choices of smaller chains and independent ones too. I like Financier.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Another 7-11 fan, I like the blueberry they typically brew in the morning. Not much blueberry taste but I love the aroma of it.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
This won't help you in DFW, however if you are ever in the Philly/South Jersey area, Wawa has excellent coffee at a very reasonable price.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
QT/QuikTrip is usually pretty good too.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
If you're in New York, you have many choices of smaller chains and independent ones too. I like Financier.
Are they still around?? There were a bunch of them in Chelsea and the Village but they all closed.

I liked their pastries but not their coffee.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by phillygold
This won't help you in DFW, however if you are ever in the Philly/South Jersey area, Wawa has excellent coffee at a very reasonable price.
I love Wawa ^

We just started getting them in the past year or so (that I know of)

The closest one that I know of is down by the air and space museum just south of IAD. But I go by there every so often and stop in
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
The Metroplex is a big area, there are quite a few independent places. I am not a Starbucks fan so I look for theses places too.

Saxbys - Allen
Astoria Cafe - Addison
Nerdvana -Frisco
Pearl Cup - Richardson
Cultivar - 3 locations
Biggbys- Allen

And a mighty fine list here.

https://www.yelp.com/list/21-good-in...e-shops-dallas
I didn't know the Biggby's expansion had reached as far as Texas. I still prefer Starbucks, but Biggby is pretty good too.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I patronize Starbucks less for its coffee and more for its SJW lean.

Let's see if that will get us into Bad OMNI.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by oneant
Message received: do it your damn self!

FYI...I tried the mobile app this morning with good results; got lucky on the parking lot situation, so the experience was better than the day before.

@dchristiva...you're even more crotchety than I am. I suppose if I asked for a really good place to get a perfectly cooked stead you would direct me to the grill in my backyard.
I love SBUX app - it's helpful even if they aren't busy. Sometimes I've used it when I'm there because of lines but in general if I plan to get SBUX then I'll use app before driving over. I mostly only use it when on vacation :-)
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:32 pm

I've gotten a decent cup @ Einstein's Bagels...might try Hardee's/Carl's Jr.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:21 am

Dunkin Donuts does have good coffee. McDonald's has good coffee as well.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:49 am

SBUX mobile app is what I use 90% of the time when I go there. This removes people that know what they want from the ordering queue and makes the occasional unplanned trip not as bad with regards to line length.

Although I am the type of customer that SBUX wants (person that buys some of their high margin food items as well as the convoluted concoctions that tend to be expensive), I rarely go there anymore. This is, in part, due to parking concerns at many of their well-visited stores. I have learned to avoid the double-star days as many of their food items are wiped out and they are busier than normal so drink orders take longer to fill.

Last year, I spent about $600 at SBUX and obtained 7 rewards. This year, I have spent $500 with a little over $41 left on the card currently. I have redeemed 3 rewards and have 637 stars currently so the new system has been beneficial to me numbers-wise. Although absent the star dashes that would not be true.

Peets and Dunkin are OK but they have their limitations just like SBUX. It's more of a personal preference. it depends on location, obviously, but SBUX usually wins in store location volume so that convenience is part of what drives me when I get the urge.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
The biggest problem is that Starbucks are everywhere and in some places other nearby options are limited. I haven't tried 7-11 lately, but their stores all seem to have that "7-11 smell" that I'm not fond of. I do like Wawa (Racetrack's not bad either), and I love the 79 cent any size that they do occasionally.

As far as non-convenience store options, I think DD is about the only place that has decent coverage, but even then nowhere near as prevalent as sb.

As others have said, I'll always give a local place or small chain a try if there's one nearby but in some places sb has just saturated the market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.