Yelp's Top 100 in the USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yelp's Top 100 in the USA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azepine00
The list is based on yelp reviews with corresponding demographics.
I've been to probably a dozen (incl 1, 15, 16, 17) - they are all good and inexpensive places. This is not michelin etc formal dining but rather the kind of food i can afford to grab pretty much every day. (to address CMK10 comment - los agaves has some very good and some rather generic dishes just like most of them)
Well you say this isn't Michelin Star dining but Per Se and Eleven Madison Park are on the list too so it seems to be to be all over the place.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Why does anyone take Yelp seriously? I find the posts to be mostly whiney millenials who like to say extremely nasty things about a restaurant if the bus boy looks at them strangely.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:26 pm

Cochon Butcher in New Orleans is good, but it's the NOLA representative on this Top 100 list???

How amusing.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Why does anyone take Yelp seriously? I find the posts to be mostly whiney millenials who like to say extremely nasty things about a restaurant if the bus boy looks at them strangely.
Maybe it depends on the city and the particular restaurants. San Diego's listings don't seem too bad to me, for instance. Then again, I use Yelp mostly to find businesses and don't really pay too much attention to the reviews unless the business scores less than 4/5 or so.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The methodology is interesting, and may explain some of the quirks.

Businesses from across the country were compared using a ranking that looks at both the ratings and the number of reviews while accounting for quality, popularity, and statistical fluctuations. To localize the list, only reviews written by users whose profiles list their home location as within the reviewed businesses’ country were factored into the ranking.
The localization may end up penalizing especially east coast cities with multiple counties in the metro area. DC restaurants would exclude all the MD & VA residents who dine in the district; Manhattan restaurants would exclude workers from the other boroughs and NJ...
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

County or country?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the only values i have found in yelp is the accuracy of the address, and the phone number of the place.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by swag
The methodology is interesting, and may explain some of the quirks.

The localization may end up penalizing especially east coast cities with multiple counties in the metro area. DC restaurants would exclude all the MD & VA residents who dine in the district; Manhattan restaurants would exclude workers from the other boroughs and NJ...
That depends how localization works, as, i.e., The French Laundry is on the list, but very few Yelp diners would live within the same city, or even county, as the restaurant. However, a substantial percentage would live within 60 miles. And most of these would have a 94xxx zip code (same as the restaurant).
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To localize the list, only reviews written by users whose profiles list their home location as within the reviewed businesses’ country were factored into the ranking.

Why is everyone reading county?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
To localize the list, only reviews written by users whose profiles list their home location as within the reviewed businesses’ country were factored into the ranking.

Why is everyone reading county?
You're assuming we can read.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've been a regular Yelp user & contributor for several years and I've only been to one of these restaurants. Ironically the lowest on the list (#100). And that one restaurant cemented for me my current method of using Yelp: I look for businesses that are well reviewed on Yelp but not too well reviewed. A restaurant with a few dozen reviews and a strong average? Probably a solid place. A restaurant with thousands of raves? That's past the tipping point where crowd sourcing becomes groupthink.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Interesting. Past Yelp Top 100s seemed more exciting. I've been to about a dozen on this list. While some were deserving, some definitely were not. But its another list to review and there are a couple spots that I want to try that I've never heard of.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:24 pm

Yelp's Top 100- I would think the list would be more useful as a reference for restaurants to avoid than as a list of restaurants I'd want to patronize. Granted both types of restaurants are bound to be on the list, but if one were to choose randomly, the likelihood of a miss would be much greater than the chance of finding a great restaurant.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The problem with this list, and any put together from public ratings, is that it's more aligned with "exceeded expectations of the clientele" than "best". Check triapadvisor - you'll see very, very good Holiday Inn Expresses and Sheraton's at the top sometimes. They're very good for the price, and greatly exceed the norm for folks who stay there. But they're not Four Season's.

But if you're looking for a very good inexpensive restaurant, it's not a bad list to review. But food preferences vary so much, even the best list will be hit-or-miss for each person.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Atlanta--in fact all of Georgia--has only one place on the list, and it's a cheapo little lunch spot in Midtown. Whatta joke. Seems to me someone at Yelp HQ needed to spend a little more time composing this list and adjusting criteria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.