Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Non-Drinkers Welcome at Bars?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:39 am
Original Poster

When I travel the biggest things I battle are boredom and loneliness. Often times when walking in or out of the hotel I pass the bar where I can see people chatting and having a good time. The only thing that keeps me from going in is the fact that I don't drink.

I go to bars with coworkers occasionally, but much of my work travel now is solo so I have few people to socialize with. My question is whether or not a bar could be a good place to socialize and find people with which to pass the time who are in a similar situation away from home. To be clear, I'm not looking for romantic companionship, I'm just fine on that front, just something a step up from sitting alone in a hotel room.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Absolutely. No one is going to begrudge you for drinking a soda water. If you order it with a lime wedge, people will just think you're sipping a gin-tonic or a vodka-soda anyway. You'll often have a fascinating vantage point to see people become progressively less coherent, as the evening rolls on.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

As long as you tip, the bartender won't care what or if you drink. Often a good option is to eat at the hotel bar rather than in the restaurant so that I'm able to talk to someone else also traveling alone.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Absolutely. If you don't want to stick out, get something that could just as well be alcoholic - sparkling water with lime looks exactly like a G&T. A virgin Mary is another good choice.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

I agree completely with the above responses. There are many ex-drinkers who still go to bars and drink non-alcoholic beer for example. Bartenders will be happy to serve you anything you would like to drink but please don't just tip 10% on a very low bill if you are taking up prime real estate at the bar. In Europe and elsewhere it is a little bit different on the tipping situation but you will still be welcome in the bar.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Absolutely. If you don't want to stick out, get something that could just as well be alcoholic - sparkling water with lime looks exactly like a G&T. A virgin Mary is another good choice.
100% My sister is a non-drinker. I order her a diet coke with a piece of lime - looks like cuba libre all day.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:26 pm

All those designated drivers are in bars. I haven't had a drink in 41 years & going to a bar doesn't bother me. Doesn't seem to bother anyone else either & I do tip very well.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:28 pm

I was once DD at a family-owned Irish pub in San Francisco where the matron responded "Oh, for [redacted per FT Rules] sake!" when I ordered a water. Other than that, never a problem.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 30, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

You'll be fine. Just order a non-alcoholic drink (or food) and tip well in the US. If anyone blinks an eye, you're probably not in the right bar for friendly/casual/non-"romantic" conversation.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium

I would imagine many would secretly envy your discipline. And for those who don't, more liquor for them!

A good friend of mine would always accompany us to the bars and never drank a drop of alcohol. We couldn't figure out how he tolerated us, but nobody ever gave him hell for it.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by djibouti
I was once DD at a family-owned Irish pub in San Francisco where the matron responded "Oh, for [redacted per FT Rules] sake!" when I ordered a water. Other than that, never a problem.
Was her name Annie? Sounds familiar!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
A hotel's bar is usually a bar-and-grill type place, serving part or all of the menu that's available in the attached restaurant. When I'm traveling alone I usually sit at such a bar to order dinner. Partly this is because I hate sitting at a table all by myself. The bar format makes it easy to strike up casual conversation with other patrons. And when ordering a meal at the bar there's no reason to feel like you don't belong there simply because you're not paying for alcohol.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I often sit at the bar and get dessert. Many folks end up commenting how good the dessert looks or wonder why I take photos of it (for blog). I often talk to the bartender and always tip more (I used to work in restaurants)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
A hotel's bar is usually a bar-and-grill type place, serving part or all of the menu that's available in the attached restaurant. When I'm traveling alone I usually sit at such a bar to order dinner. Partly this is because I hate sitting at a table all by myself. The bar format makes it easy to strike up casual conversation with other patrons. And when ordering a meal at the bar there's no reason to feel like you don't belong there simply because you're not paying for alcohol.
Might be the case in US but in most of the countries I visit for work the bar is for drinking and the restaurant is for eating.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
Absolutely. No one is going to begrudge you for drinking a soda water. If you order it with a lime wedge, people will just think you're sipping a gin-tonic or a vodka-soda anyway. You'll often have a fascinating vantage point to see people become progressively less coherent, as the evening rolls on.
I only drink occasionally, but I will often go to a bar and order a tonic water with lime. Never had anyone bat an eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.