Wiki Posts
Search

Broasted Chicken

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Broasted Chicken

Have you ever had Broasted Chicken? No that isn't a typo...for those who don't know about this delicious delicacy of a time gone by Broasting is the process of pressure frying. Typically chicken is Broasted in paprika and spices

Broasting can not be done at home, and the equipment is only sold by one little company in Wisconsin - this was big in the 1950's and really hard to find today.

If you've never had it then go find some, and if you have had it please post here and let us know where it is! Below is my list.
  • Pittsburgh Broasted Chicken - Los Alamitos, CA
  • Yoder's - Sarasota, FL
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:03 pm

Such things feature prominently in one of my favorite books by William Gibson, Spook Country:

She ate dollar-fifty-nine barbecue beef rib with broasted potatoes off a paper plate on the trunk of the Passat, waiting for Alberto to turn up at Mr. Sippee, a blessed oasis of peace and mutual respect situated in a twenty-four-hour convenience store at the Arco gas station at Blaine and Eleventh.

Nobody messed with you in Mr. Sippee. She knew that from her previous stay in Los Angeles, and that was what brought her here now. Close to the tents under the freeway, Ms. Sippee catered to an eclectic clientele of the more functionally homeless, sex workers of varied gender and presentation, pimps, police officers, drug dealers, office workers, artists, musicians, the map-lost as well as the life-lost, and anyone in serious search of the perfect broasted potatoes. You ate standing up, if you had a car to put your food on. If you didn't, you sat on the curb out front. She had often thought, while eating there, that the United Nations could do worse than investigate the pacific powers of broasted potatoes.

[...]

She studied the pattern of potato grease on her empty paper plate. If you knew enough Greek, she thought, you could assemble a word that meant divination via the pattern of grease left on a paper plate by broasted potatoes. But it would be a long word.
Will never be able to think of broasted food without thinking of that book.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I thought all KFC was pressure fried?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:11 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Had it in Richland WA. Can't remember the name of the restaurant. It was about 30 years ago.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I remember a place in either Lanesboro or possibly Cheshire, Ma. It had a big rooster out front and a sign advertising Broasted Chicken. My father in law would pick it up about once a month. Some of the best chicken I've ever eaten. Juicy but never greasy.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL GM
Broasted Chicken

It's pretty common in the Detroit area. I'm pretty sure chicken shack is broasted chicken, and a few of the Coney Island type restaurants here serve it. It's a little greasy, but better than KFC.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I love broasted chicken. And it's not as gone as you'd think. The Broaster company is very much in business and has a store locator here: http://www.broasterexpress.com/store-locator/
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: Platinum
This brings back memories of Gladstone, Michigan

Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:23 am

Learn something new every day. I'll keep an eye out for it when I am next in the USA. Sounds good
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:49 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I thought all KFC was pressure fried?
It is

Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
It's big around Harrisburg, PA.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:39 am
Suspended

Presumably the reason why you'd broast a chicken rather than roasting one in America is because it is both quick and less healthy ?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Originally Posted by uk1
It is

Or it was. If it still is you could have fooled me. KFC tastes nothing like it used to.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:09 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by SimonB77
Or it was. If it still is you could have fooled me. KFC tastes nothing like it used to.
Nevertheless ... it is the way that all KFC chicken is still cooked. Fried and shaken several times and arranged in the basket in a precise way as precisely directed in the operators manual.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SimonB77
+1 I agree KFC tastes nothing like Broasted Chicken no matter what technique they use to cook it. The broasted chicken i have had wasn't breaded just seasoned and the skin was crispier than a breading would be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.