Trying to buy Swiss Emmnenthaler at a supermaket deli

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:27 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I was in a supermarket earlier today, I passed by the deli counter and noted they had a sale on Switz. Swiss (= Emmenthaler) Cheese. I stated my order, the deli man asked: "do you want Jarlsberg Cheese", "no, I want Switz Swiss", deli-man: "Jarlsberg is imported cheese".
Don't deli people realize there is not just ONE imported Swiss (type) Cheese.
In more upscale cheese stores, Swiss Emm. comes in (1)mild, (2)medium, (3)aged and sometimes (4)"cave" aged.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Cool story bro. There are plenty of grocery stores where this wouldn't be a problem. Maybe the guy just wasn't familiar with every single product in the deli case?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

Not surprised. In America "Swiss Cheese" = Domestically produced white flavorless cheese with large holes in it. You know, the one that isn't the yellow "American Cheese" food.

The Swiss produce some amazing world renowned cheeses but "Swiss Cheese" is certainly not one of them. I feel your pain. My wife is swiss and cringes every single time she sees swiss cheese on a menu here in the U.S.

FYI All Emmentaler cheese must by law come from that region in Switzerland and indeed does come in different styles and ages.

My advice is to find a great cheese store and talk to them about Swiss cheese rather than trying to talk to the supermarket deli guy.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Lots of Swiss cheese here in Switzerland. I've not found any I'm particularly fond of yet, but then it can be difficult to tell many of them apart.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Lots of Swiss cheese here in Switzerland. I've not found any I'm particularly fond of yet, but then it can be difficult to tell many of them apart.
Personal opinion: I don't get what all the rave about Emmental cheese is about. I find it utterly utterly boring and I'm a bit sad that this is (probably?) the most exported/most well recognized Swiss cheese abroad. My sister used to eat it with ketchup. Definitely not a sign of quality for the cheese

As far as big brands go, a Gruyere (the older the better, but any kind will do) makes me very happy; bite-sized blocks together with some pickled gherkins and maybe a nice dry sausage on the side..
Then of course there's the smaller producers who's names I never really remember but just try at random; sometimes superb, sometimes average, but always a good adventure
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Go here if you want someone to know about the cheese you'd like.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:29 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flaneurs
FYI All Emmentaler cheese must by law come from that region in Switzerland and indeed does come in different styles and ages.
As far as I know only "Emmentaler Switzerland" is protected but "Emmantaler" by itself is not and can come from a range of countries including France and Germany and even Scandinavia. Not certain, but I think I have even had some English Emmental.

eg French Emmental

http://www.entremont.fr/

Gruyere however is protected.

Last edited by uk1; Apr 7, 2015 at 11:44 am
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:34 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zehbra
Personal opinion: I don't get what all the rave about Emmental cheese is about. I find it utterly utterly boring and I'm a bit sad that this is (probably?) the most exported/most well recognized Swiss cheese abroad. My sister used to eat it with ketchup. Definitely not a sign of quality for the cheese

As far as big brands go, a Gruyere (the older the better, but any kind will do) makes me very happy; bite-sized blocks together with some pickled gherkins and maybe a nice dry sausage on the side..
Then of course there's the smaller producers who's names I never really remember but just try at random; sometimes superb, sometimes average, but always a good adventure
Even the mild Swiss Emmenthaler has a certain flavor that I find very nice!
Have you ever tasted AGED SE? Super taste.
PS: I detest ketchup--but your sister doesn't. That is why not all foods have only one brand and taste... people have different likes and dislikes.

But in my OP, all I wanted was that the deli man give me what I ordered.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:49 pm

I believe the Emmentaler AOC is indeed protected. This from www.emmentaler.ch:

Our Emmentaler AOC is produced exclusively from untreated milk and matures for at least 120 days in a cheese cellar – considerably more than most other types of cheese, and you can certainly taste the difference. We do not use any artificial additives and our experienced dairy-masters continue to produce our cheese using traditional artisan methods. Incidentally, each Emmentaler AOC can be traced back to its origin and place of production thanks to its dairy number.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:05 pm
uk1
Suspended

I believe the Emmentaler AOC is indeed protected. This from www.emmentaler.ch:

Our Emmentaler AOC is produced exclusively from untreated milk and matures for at least 120 days in a cheese cellar – considerably more than most other types of cheese, and you can certainly taste the difference. We do not use any artificial additives and our experienced dairy-masters continue to produce our cheese using traditional artisan methods. Incidentally, each Emmentaler AOC can be traced back to its origin and place of production thanks to its dairy number.

Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:08 pm

I wonder if French Emmentaler is like saying sparkling wine is produced using the champagne method. Anyway this is definitely a little OT, sorry for the derailment.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:18 am
uk1
Suspended

I wonder if French Emmentaler is like saying sparkling wine is produced using the champagne method. Anyway this is definitely a little OT, sorry for the derailment.
No, it is completely different. The description "Champagne" is protected - it can only be described as so if it comes from the area, whereas "Emmental" is not - it can come from anywhere. Gruyere is different. It is - as far as I know - treated in the same way as champagne.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:34 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Looks like the names "Emmentaler AOC" and "Emmentaler Switzerland" are protected - "Emmental" is not. It's rather like "Champagne" vs "Methode Champenoise", to take that comparison.

Also, isn't Jarslberg Norwegian?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:55 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut
Looks like the names "Emmentaler AOC" and "Emmentaler Switzerland" are protected - "Emmental" is not. It's rather like "Champagne" vs "Methode Champenoise", to take that comparison.

Also, isn't Jarslberg Norwegian?
Exactly. They are both protected not because of the name Emmental but because it denotes the origin.

Jarlsberg is as you say Norwegian and I believe their independent nature made them feel that a completely different identity would be more marketing valuable. As it happens I prefer Jarlsberg to Emmental. I prefer the idea of Emmental but prefer the taste of Jarlsberg.

The hole truth about Jarlsberg cheese
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:59 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Depends on the use. Emmental and Gruyere are, for me, melting cheeses. Jarlsberg and Comte are the sandwich/oatcake/big chunk cheeses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.