Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Red Lobster waitress: "will you eat them if they live on land and crawl in backyard?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Lobster waitress: "will you eat them if they live on land and crawl in backyard?"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

So.... we went to the local Red Lobster to burn up about two $100 Red Lobster gift cards. The gift cards were also good at their sister restaurant, Olive Garden. Should have gone to Olive Garden instead, because I've lost my appetite for lobsters forever!

The reason? When the waitress brought out our cooked live lobsters, she said: "will you still eat them if they live on land and crawl around your backyard or attic?" (wish I had my phone on and recording her comment so I could post the video on YouTube.... it would have been priceless)

She said it as a joke, but it made me physically sick while ripping apart my lobster. It was like I was eating a giant cockroach... Yes, I know lobsters and cockroaches are remotely related, biologically.... I ended up swapping my lobster with my friend's shrimp dish. Same difference, but at least the shrimps are breaded and fried, so I couldn't see what I was eating.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'd have asked for the manager and explained that you no longer wanted your lobster dish, and would've asked for something else.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
If you're that squeamish about your food, you might want to consider becoming a vegetarian.

I remember buying whole shrimp and cleaning them with my 16 year old daughter. The experience put her off shrimp for a year. She could handle the thought of eating the critters until she had to cut heads and pull off those little legs. She's over it but I'm sure she doesn't ever buy them whole.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
If you're that squeamish about your food, you might want to consider becoming a vegetarian.

I remember buying whole shrimp and cleaning them with my 16 year old daughter. The experience put her off shrimp for a year. She could handle the thought of eating the critters until she had to cut heads and pull off those little legs. She's over it but I'm sure she doesn't ever buy them whole.
I hunt, so I know where red meat comes from, but the comment about the lobster would make me a little uneasy.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:48 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I agree with Kipper, I would have had a conversation with the manager. It is not proper for any waitstaff to make that type of comment before one is going to have their dinner.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:53 am

That comment just seems so random. If you have such an issue with lobster and people eating lobster...then why do you work at Red Lobster? Work at Sweet Tomatoes or something!

Even as a joke it's not funny. I'd ask the server if he/she realizes what poor taste the comment was, then depending on the response I'd talk to the manager.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:22 am

Yes, with clarified butter.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
I hunt, so I know where red meat comes from, but the comment about the lobster would make me a little uneasy.
The comment was weird and inappropriate and probably should have been reported to a manager. It wouldn't have kept me from eating the lobster I had ordered. There are subjects that might put me off eating, such as a server saying "I just came from the men's room and I didn't wash my hands", but the fishing magazines I read often affectionately refer to lobsters as "bugs" and I think the southern version without claws looks even more like an insect.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
If a comment that innocuous is enough to make you "physically sick" and lose your appetite for lobsters "forever" then do not ever go to a place where any of your food is processed. Some people do not have the stomach to learn where their food actually comes from and the path it takes to get to your plate.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Badenoch
If a comment that innocuous is enough to make you "physically sick" and lose your appetite for lobsters "forever" then do not ever go to a place where any of your food is processed. Some people do not have the stomach to learn where their food actually comes from and the path it takes to get to your plate.
As long as you don't know how the sausage is made, as they say.

What was the context of the comment? Was it just out of the blue from the waitress? I have a hard time believing that one would make such a comment without it being a response to something. If she said, "Will you still eat them...?", there had to be something to which she was responding.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by TENYKS
So.... we went to the local Red Lobster to burn up about two $100 Red Lobster gift cards. The gift cards were also good at their sister restaurant, Olive Garden. Should have gone to Olive Garden instead, because I've lost my appetite for lobsters forever!

The reason? When the waitress brought out our cooked live lobsters, she said: "will you still eat them if they live on land and crawl around your backyard or attic?" (wish I had my phone on and recording her comment so I could post the video on YouTube.... it would have been priceless)

She said it as a joke, but it made me physically sick while ripping apart my lobster. It was like I was eating a giant cockroach... Yes, I know lobsters and cockroaches are remotely related, biologically.... I ended up swapping my lobster with my friend's shrimp dish. Same difference, but at least the shrimps are breaded and fried, so I couldn't see what I was eating.
What a strange comment by a Server who I assume is hoping to receive a 'tip'
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
My question is, why the server made that comment in the first place. That's oddly specific for a 'random' comment.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: Independent
There had to be more to the conversation than that, so it is hard to judge. It sounds like a commen I would make myself. Of course, I can't even be around the table when someone is cooking or eating lobster because of the smell and looks. My mother used to talk to them when she cooked them in the big pot...

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Ewww! Just thing about that-eating food that has been sitting in dirt, has been covered in animal excrement to help it grow! The little cells all grow outward surrounding that stuff, too - ever see all the sand in a leek?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:36 pm

While that's a weird and offputting comment, it's no worse than what the hostess probably said: "Welcome to Red Lobster!"

Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:40 am

Hell yeah, I'd still eat it. I'd eat a lot more of it too since lobster would cost a lot less if they crawled around in my backyard and attic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.