Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite wines and wine advice!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
You are committing several fallacies in your comments.

First, I haven't appointed myself as anything other than someone offering advice (as with all advice constantly provided on FT!). If you don't like the advice , you are welcome to ignore it. Yet you are arguing with me about not the advice but about posts I made on another thread. The two are not related.

Second, I do follow my own advice--but in a different price range than you might, perhaps. I said:

That doesn't mean that all expensive bottles are not good! That also doesn't mean that a more expensive wine might not be better--just that that isn't necessarily true for everyone. Just because I like some expensive wines, too, doesn't mean I'm not following my own advice.

What would suggest that I'm not following this advice is if I only drank very expensive wines relative to what I can afford. Since I can afford quite a bit, I buy very expensive wines like Harlan and Colgin (cellared so they can age a long time) and much less expensive wines like Pahlmeyer and Jaysen. That may be a more expensive range for you, but it's still quite a range--from $550 Harlan to $48 Jaysen red. Yet I rarely purchase the super expensive Bordeaux (I have 3 bottles of 2005 Chateau Margaux, for example, but also 6 bottles of 2005 Pape Clement that I got from Costco!) I love Saxum syrahs and Dehlinger pinots, costing from $35-85, and these are far less expensive than any Rhone or Burgundy wines. If I can afford $550 for Harlan, then I can also afford $300 for many Rhones and Burgundies--but I choose the cheaper US options because I prefer them (and because they're less expensive!).

I also offered:

I stand by what I said, as I follow what I've said--relative to MY experience, and maybe not yours. I have available to me First Growth Bordeaux and most of the Grand Cru Burgundies, but I rarely purchase those (I've never purchased a Grand Cru or Premier Cru Burgundy for our cellar, in fact, other than rarely at a restaurant). I choose the wines that I LIKE the most for the price points I can afford...and almost always choose the less expensive of those when I like them comparably. Your version of hype is awfully all-encompassing, but it is not global. In your experience, all of my wines might be "hyped" but in Newport Beach where I live, I am am the exception that doesn't place stock in the Bordeaux and Burgundies that everyone around me can afford and has.

You are making the mistake of judging my wine tastes as being based on hype and price when that is not the case. There often is a reason why some wines are hyped and cost more--and that doesn't make them a bad wine! You are assuming that all wines that are expensive are wastes, and that is your prerogative. But that isn't a fait accompli by any stretch of the imagination.

Opus One costs $235 per bottle. Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red costs $150 per bottle--or $85 less, the same amount less that you would pay for Opus. For us as members of the Pahlmeyer Club, it is $127.50 for every bottle. I spend less for a less hyped but better wine. You also don't like Opus One. I rest my case.

No problem! I don't encourage anyone to spend more than they're comfortably able to afford for wine--as I said originally below (and repeated above) in my advice. But the fact that we're fortunate enough to be able to afford to drink Colgin and Bryant and the like doesn't make us into hype or name, either. You're begrudging us the ability to purchase the wine that WE can comfortably afford to buy with your comments--as if somehow being able to afford such wine is obviously bereft of all reason. When you can afford such wine prices, you can either simply buy by the hype or buy by the preference, and we buy by preference. We love Colgin (and Bryant less). We can afford Colgin. So we buy Colgin--among many, many other wines, most of which is much less expensive. That doesn't mean my advice is any less sound.
I like Opus One, and it's an excellent cab, were it to cost $75 a bottle. It doesn't, so I don't buy it. But it is better than Colgin or Bryant. At least it has the typicity (that's a Davis word for you) of a Rutherford Bench cabernet .

And frankly, your comments about what you spend, in the other thread - basically are the reason you really had no business starting THIS thread.

Very few people really care about your idea of good value in wines, if you think that $100+ Argentine Malbecs and $300+ Napa Cabs represent that for your own palette. And BTW, you STARTED this thread, and essentially presented your wine resume as a rationale for why we should give you credence on this topic - that's what I meant by being self-appointed maven of value in wine. It wasn't posted in response to someone seeking your insight.

I might add, I've spent more on the very occassional bottle of wine than a Colgin or Bryant Cab costs (Invariably, it was for a top line Grand Cru Red Burgundy from a top producer). But I would never be so presumptuous as to assume that those wines were good values - rather - they were to really try to calibrate my palette for how good it can possibly get, and to experience the very best, and see how perceptibly better they were than more reasonable, more regular wines that I drink more frequently.

Last edited by lhgreengrd1; Sep 15, 2014 at 4:55 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
I like Opus One, and it's an excellent cab, were it to cost $75 a bottle. It doesn't, so I don't buy it.
You therefore are agreeing with my assessment provided below. Case closed.

But it (Opus One) is better than Colgin or Bryant. At least it has the typicity (that's a Davis word for you) of a Rutherford Bench cabernet.
To each, their own. I strongly disagree.

And frankly, your comments about what you spend, in the other thread - basically are the reason you really had no business starting THIS thread.
Whether or not I had any business starting this thread is not up to you to determine for anyone but yourself. I think we all have an idea that you don't like my advice because you don't like that I have the audacity to buy expensive wine. Of course, you've yet to in any way indicate how or why any of my advice is bad. You just don't seem to like or approve that I am giving it.

Several FT members from other threads asked me so often for wine advice that I decided to start this thread. It's really that simple.

Very few people really care about your idea of good value in wines, if you think that $100+ Argentine Malbecs and $300+ Napa Cabs represent that for your own palette.
I reiterate again--I never commented on any specific values in THIS thread or any other (except for Opus One, and you agree with me!). What wines I might like or dislike has no bearing on any of the advice I provided below--all of which you seem to agree with.

And BTW, you STARTED this thread, and essentially presented your wine resume as a rationale for why we should give you credence on this topic - that's what I meant by being self-appointed maven of value in wine. It wasn't posted in response to someone seeking your insight.
You're right! I know a lot about wine. Others asked me to share my opinions about wine. This is flyertalk, where everyone shares opinions. Everyone, by your definition, is a self-appointed maven on their own opinion. In this case, at least, I was requested for advice that I tried to provide. I'm sorry that it has somehow offended you.

might add, I've spent more on the very occassional bottle of wine than a Colgin or Bryant Cab costs (Invariably, it was for a top line Grand Cru Red Burgundy from a top producer). But I would never be so presumptuous as to assume that those wines were good values - rather - they were to really try to calibrate my palette for how good it can possibly get, and to experience the very best, and see how perceptibly better they were than more reasonable, more regular wines that I drink more frequently.
I've NEVER indicated that any of those wines are good VALUES; I merely indicated in another thread that I love them and order them and think they are great WINES. You're putting words in my mouth that I never said. I don't believe those wines (Harlan, Colgin, Bryant, etc) are good values, so it's difficult to understand how I'm being presumptuous in that regard.

It seems to me that you are of the opinion that I am not in a position to give wine advice because I like wines that are too expensive. I believe that my experience with wine allows me to easily give wine advice regardless of the price range of the wines I buy for myself.

Through all of this, you have yet to in any way disagree with ANY of the advice I posted originally below. Might I suggest that we continue the discussion on that advice?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:20 pm
Suspended

It seems to me that you are of the opinion that I am not in a position to give wine advice because I like wines that are too expensive. I believe that my experience with wine allows me to easily give wine advice regardless of the price range of the wines I buy for myself.
What experience is that? When and where have you ever demonstrated an ability to identify and evaluate wines without seeing the label? Surely they have taught you at Davis how knowing the price and identity of a wine objectively biases your ability to evaluate it?

You're right! I know a lot about wine.
I don't see any evidence of that at all, quite frankly.

Whether or not I had any business starting this thread is not up to you to determine for anyone but yourself. I think we all have an idea that you don't like my advice because you don't like that I have the audacity to buy expensive wine. Of course, you've yet to in any way indicate how or why any of my advice is bad. You just don't seem to like or approve that I am giving it.
Audacity is your word. I'd use a different word, but be that as it may. The reason your advice is bad is that you haven't any sort of qualifications to give it - and the fact that it's so blatantly colored by your obvious willingness to spend silly amounts on exclusive labels BECAUSE of their exclusivity, and without any demonstrated ability to discern between those pricey wines and other more cost-effective ones if you tasted them blind in an objective setting.

In any case, I'll put an end to this now, as I have run across many folks who would suggest that they somehow have the expertise to deign to tell others what they ought to be drinking. Suffice it to say that they are all pretty amusing, but not to be taken seriously - certainly nowhere near as seriously as they take themselves.

Last edited by lhgreengrd1; Sep 15, 2014 at 5:31 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
What experience is that? When and where have you ever demonstrated an ability to identify and evaluate wines without seeing the label? Surely they have taught you at Davis how knowing the price and identity of a wine objectively biases your ability to evaluate it?
As a matter of fact, I've done numerous sommelier courses (but no interest in the exam or being a sommelier) here in Orange County, as well as at the CIA in both Napa and in New York. Of course, I don't think one needs to have completed sommelier courses in order to ascertain whether they like or dislike wine.

You're changing the subject from the advice I've given to my qualifications for it--all while you're not in any way challenging ANY of the advice I've given. If you don't think I'm qualified to give advice, then I respect your ability to ignore it. The fact that you've commented incessantly here--and not at all about the advice I've given--reflects that the issue you have has nothing to do with this thread.

The winemaking program I'm completing at UC Davis has nothing to do with wine tasting/evaluation.

I don't see any evidence of that at all, quite frankly.
From my original post:

Second, my own bias/experience should be mentioned. We live in Orange County, California, and have visited most of the New World wine regions (Napa/Sonoma/Santa Barbara/Paso Robles in California; Margaret River and the Barossa in Australia; Mendoza in Argentina; Central Otaga/Marlborough/Martinborough/Hawke's Bay in New Zealand; Franschhoek/Stellenbosch/Paarl/Constantia in South Africa, etc) on numerous occasions. We also have visited Tuscany, Bordeaux, and Rioja. We intend to visit Chile; Burgundy, Champagne, Alsace, the Rhone (France); Hungary; and the Piedmont and Venice (Italy) in the coming years.

Finally, I am in the midst of completing the UC Davis graduate winemaking certificate program for my own personal edification. Our cellar has wines from all of the above regions, with a focus on those regions we've already visited--as I like to drink wine that reminds me of the place where the grapes were grown as much as possible.
I tried to give some sense of my qualifications. Perhaps you missed it or didn't even bother to read that?

The reason your advice is bad is that you haven't any sort of qualifications to give it - and the fact that it's so blatantly colored by your obvious willingness to spend silly amounts on exclusive labels BECAUSE of their exclusivity, and without any demonstrated ability to discern between those pricey wines and other more cost-effective ones if you tasted them blind in an objective setting.
You say my advice is bad and yet you haven't in any way pointed out any of the advice being bad. You just don't like that I some of the wine I buy is expensive! I'd say you have a bias against expensive wines and anyone who buys expensive wines, and that bias is coloring your ability to discuss the advice I've given. You're not even discussing any of the advice; you're simply attacking me for the fact that I like expensive wine (while disregarding the fact that I also like non-expensive wine).

In any case, I'll put an end to this now, as I have run across many folks who would suggest that they somehow have the expertise to deign to tell others what they ought to be drinking. Suffice it to say that they are all pretty amusing, but not to be taken seriously - certainly nowhere near as seriously as they take themselves.
I have NOT told ANYONE herein what they ought to be drinking--EVER. I've simply given general advice about drinking and selecting wine, none of which you have disagreed with. Your entire commentary has been about everything EXCEPT the advice I've given. You simply don't like the fact that I like expensive wine, and you've been pretty harsh in your comments simply because of that bias (which isn't even mentioned in my advice here but in a completely separate thread!).
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:21 pm
Suspended

I tried to give some sense of my qualifications. Perhaps you missed it or didn't even bother to read that?
I read it. I was singularly unimpressed by it.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Apparently, this

Originally Posted by cblaisd
ALL: I will never understand why threads about alcohol tend to bring out incivility and snark, but I would remind everyone who might be inclined to contribute to this thread that one can state one's thoughts, opinions, and even disagreement civilly, respectfully, and without snark.

Failure to to so will lead to thread closure and worse
wasn't clear....

Thread closed for moderator review and consultation.

Please do not PM the co-moderators concerning this at this time.

Nothing good will come up this thread remaining open at this time.

Thank you.

cblaisd
Co-Moderator, Dining Buzz

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 16, 2014 at 10:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.