Search

New Amsterdam Gin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
New Amsterdam Gin

Tried searching for a Gin thread and struggled. OK I decided to be cheap and bought a bottle of New Amsterdam Gin. Definitely has an unusual flavor. Not sure I like it at all even when heavily loaded with Tonic. I am going to pay a bit more and switch back to Bombay Sapphire. Anyone else tried New Amsterdam - thoughts. What is your favorite Gin anyway?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:33 pm

I really like Gin Mare. First had it in Madrid last year and really loved the interesting flavours. I must admit the whole Hendricks and cucumber thing has passed me by. As important as the gin is, the tonic is equally important and it has to be Fever Tree for me.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EP
New Amsterdam Gin

We normally drink Sapphire but on a visit to CA bought Sapphire East in the grocery store (how convenient that would be but not in NC). Really enjoyed the taste and costs the same as Sapphire. So if you want something a bit different you can try that. Also don't like the cucumber stuff.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I must admit the whole Hendricks and cucumber thing has passed me by.
Tried the New Amsterdam and Tonic with crushed cucumber last night. IMHO just OK - not that keen. I may give it one more try.

Originally Posted by la2clt
Also don't like the cucumber stuff.
See above- I may give it another try but will do it with Hendricks.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
What is your favorite Gin anyway?
Hendrick's, hands down. It's a Scottish distilled gin infused with rose and cucumber.

Bobette
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold
New Amsterdam Gin

Mayfair gin is also quite good.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA; AC; HHonors; SPG; BA
Blue Gin from Austria distilled by Hans Reisetbauer. Not cheap, but pure juniper on the nose.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond;Emerald Club Executive Elite
New Amsterdam Gin

I agree about New Amsterdam...just doesn't taste right. My choices: Beefeater for gin & tonic (& a few splashes of bitters); Tangueray for Martini's. Hendricks is awesome and very unique but seems a waste to mix with anything. Excellent with tonic and a cucumber though.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
New Amsterdam is good for the price... I mean, it's pretty darn cheap, and the alcohol "quality" is far above well.

If given the choice of any, I'd take Hendrick's, but Sapphire and reg. Bombay are good. Heck, even Gordon's (what my pops used to drink) always does me good.

In any case, I prefer genever, the Dutch version of gin.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC
I use New Amsterdam in gin screwdrivers/orange blossoms, and I have no problems with the taste. The "weirdness" aspect of the New Amsterdam taste is drowned out while the juniper remains, IMO. Then again, I am still on the poor college student psychology when it comes to alcohol, so my standards of acceptability are almost certainly lower than yours. However, is it going to replace Aviator or Plymouth in my opinion? Of course not.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: LH HON
New Amsterdam Gin

The Duke - Munich dry gin
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:19 am

I do only drink gin neat, so quality and taste is a concern for me. Usually I do always have a bottle of either Tanquery Ten, Sapphire or Hendrick's at home but getting around pick up more and more around the world like Brecon Special Reserve Gin or Botanic Premium London Dry Gin which i really like but which are not world wide recognized distilleries.

And of course being born and raised pretty close to the distillery, I always keep a bottle of "Steinhäger", but this is more based on local heritage than taste or quality

Also quite nice but rare to get and on the more expensive side is the Botanica from the Falcon Spirits distillery in Richmon. I do always pick up a bottle if I'm around and really enjoy it.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I typically have the regular suspects already named: Bombay Sapphire, Hendricks, Tanquery 10. I have tried the Sapphire East...pretty good as well.

I recently got a bottle of Bulldog with high expectations, but it was just so-so.

Monkey 47 is a favorite, but haven't seen it for sale in the US. A special treat when I get to visit the LH First Class Lounges.

For Gin & Tonic, I am more focused on the tonic water instead of the gin. Makes a huge difference in the drink. There are several high-end tonics that have appeared on the shelves. The LH FCL/T have stepped up with a better tonic. Make sure to ask for it instead of the Schweppes.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
I've been known to enjoy a good G&T occasionally, and IMO New Amsterdam is horrible. Of course this is just MY OPINION. Being a Colorado resident, I've been lucky enough to sample some of the local new craft gin distilleries. Some are very good. Another reason for folks to visit the state.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA
If I'm not mistaken, New Amsterdam gin is made without juniper, which is what makes it seem unusual to many gin fans, and its citrus note comes from oranges. I tried it and thought it was okay, but different; not what I want for gin and tonic.

I'm among those who don't see the point to buying expensive gin such as Bombay Sapphire or Hendricks if you're not going to drink it straight---which I don't; I only drink gin in gin and tonic. For that purpose, I think Beefeater and Gordon's are fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.