Sodastream - who has one?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sodastream - who has one?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I'm bumping this thread, because I have a few questions.

I received the Sodastream for free, as I hosted a Sodastream House Party on Super Bowl Sunday. It's the SodaStream Source, and we generally love it. While we don't use it exclusively, we use it a lot when our local stores don't have Diet Coke on sale for a while. We're on our third CO2 cylinder, which leads me to my questions...
  1. This is the first exchange cylinder we've purchased, and with every few bottles, it seems like the CO2 is dispensed at too cold of a temperature, leading to a small chunk of dry ice in the soda, and less carbonation. Is this a recurring issue with refill bottles?
  2. Does Costco sell the refill bottles?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:38 am

I have never run into the "dry ice" experience and I've used about 10 refill bottles.

I don't think Costco sells the refill bottles, but a call to the local store or stop in to the service desk and you will find out. I've purchased refills at Bed, Bath & Beyond, ShopKo and Wal-Mart. First time at ShopKo they just exchaged the tank and didn't charge, even though I asked "Really?"
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by NoClu
I have never run into the "dry ice" experience and I've used about 10 refill bottles.

I don't think Costco sells the refill bottles, but a call to the local store or stop in to the service desk and you will find out. I've purchased refills at Bed, Bath & Beyond, ShopKo and Wal-Mart. First time at ShopKo they just exchaged the tank and didn't charge, even though I asked "Really?"
Sounds like it may just be this bottle then. I was pondering if it was worth exchanging, rather than buying, if we were going to experience the dry ice issue regularly.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Sounds like it may just be this bottle then. I was pondering if it was worth exchanging, rather than buying, if we were going to experience the dry ice issue regularly.
We go through a 130L cylinder in 4 weeks (sparkling water only) and have never run into the dry ice issue for the last year or so. Seriously considering investing in the home refill kit, the refill prices are ridiculous.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by kipper
  1. This is the first exchange cylinder we've purchased, and with every few bottles, it seems like the CO2 is dispensed at too cold of a temperature, leading to a small chunk of dry ice in the soda, and less carbonation. Is this a recurring issue with refill bottles?
It is a random problem and if the dry ice gets lodged in the internal hose your machine is a goner.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Error 601
It is a random problem and if the dry ice gets lodged in the internal hose your machine is a goner.
Yeah? It doesn't eventually just regasify? Or does it do other damage along the way?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 9:36 am

My wife's sister is one of those people that has to have all these gadgets. So we are over there for a family function a couple months ago. Since her husband is a big Coke Zero (and only Coke Zero) and I'm a Diet Coke (but I'll drink other stuff that's available), they proudly announce that they have this machine that makes it. Sure, give me a glass with dinner I say.

Since I'm polite, I didn't spit it across the table, although that was the first reflex. I stuggled to finish the glass, mainly because I wanted something to drink while having dinner, but next time we were there, I just asked for water. The husband raved about this machine. I felt like saying "look, I know you are invested in this thing now and want to believe you are saving money now, but you are a smart guy, do you really think that stuff tastes ok?"

As to the expense of the flavours, Sodastream is an advertiser on the Dan Patrick radio show, and I hear him talk about it. He mentioned the cost as being "as little as 25 cents per serving". I'm not sure what particular drink he was referring to, but I don't see the benefit of paying 25 cents for a glass of third rate Coke (or knockoff coke), when I usually pay that for a can of the real stuff.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SodaStream

Couldn't find a thread on this. I like drinking sparkling water and often forget to get some at the store. Plus, I hate lugging full water bottles around. So, I'm thinking of getting a SodaStream. I understand the CO2 refills are kind of pricey, but it looks like the 60L ones are $30 or $15 for a refill. This doesn't seem outlandish to me.

Anyone have one? Thoughts?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:17 pm

I have one but never thought of bringing it on vacation. I vaguely remember seeing more portable options. The Sodastream is nice. The 60L refills are $16-17 at Staples bit you can also get them at BB&B with 20% coupon.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Refills are $9.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond if you use their readily available $5 off coupons.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:13 am

Refill CO2 isn't too horribly priced, and IIRC, Target is one of the places you can swap out canisters. I would suggest always having an extra canister on hand though, or knowing when you are close to running out, so you can pick one up before that happens.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:53 am

SodaStream

I use those $15 Staples gift cards I get from buying visas or Mastercards when they run promotions to buy refills so I feel like my refills are free. I love the convenience of my SodaStream.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I enjoy my SodaStream for soda, but I don't enjoy the taste of the sparkling water it produces. Which is odd as I like the way my water tastes. But it just doesn't meet my expectation of what sparkling water should taste like. I also find that it does not get quite as fizzy as commercially produced sparkling water. So it was back to Perrier for me.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I got my SodaStream Source for my birthday and love it. In my family we call it "Angry water" and with the source model I'm able to get it pretty angry. My brother has the Crystal model and I find mine works a bit better. Having a second canister is handy if you don't have a local refill spot. The first refill is free via rebate currently.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: *G
i like the carbonation for various cocktails and mixes, not just sugared sodas and sparkling water

i havent needed a refill in like 2 years... havent done the exact math but going by feel it seems economical solution

moreover its about the convenience than cost

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.