Wiki Posts
Search

Unhealthiest Recipes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:59 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I believe in some places a version of this is called, "Company Potatoes" and, in others "Funeral Potatoes" (not because it kills you, but because they serve it at the luncheon in the church basement after the funeral. ).
The Dead Spread?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by lili
The Dead Spread?
Haven't heard that one. I think I'll not mention that to the bereaved at the next "opportunity."
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I believe in some places a version of this is called, "Company Potatoes" and, in others "Funeral Potatoes" (not because it kills you, but because they serve it at the luncheon in the church basement after the funeral. ).
Yep. There's been a big pot of this at pretty much every midwestern funeral luncheon I've been to.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 4:01 pm

Sounds like the "hashbrown casserole" at Cracker Barrel. I have been twice and have not been back.

The first time I ordered food at CB was at dinner, and I ordered what turned out to be a rather astonishing version of turnip greens with ham. The second time, the breakfast menu had something called "hashbrown casserole.". I had never heard of it but thought--hashbrowns, surely good. Casserole, probably good. The two together, surely--. But--

One does recover from the experience, but it takes time.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
This is my personal favorite from Epic Meal Time - the TurBaconEpic

A quail stuffed in cornish hen stuffed in a duck stuffed in a chicken stuffed in a turkey stuffed in a pig, each layer filled with bacon stuffing, the whole pig glazed with a whiskey-Dr. Pepper glaze and wrapped in bacon. Then garnished with Wendy's Baconators for serving.

If that doesn't win, try the Fast Food Lazagna.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
One of my personal favorites for a good bachelor meal.

- Purchase cheap steak at grocery store, preferably whatever's on sale
- Cook steak in frying pan using nothing but Pam spray, salt, garlic salt and pepper
- As soon as steak is done, take off frying pan, then scramble three eggs in the streak grease
- Cut up two potatoes, fry in butter with garlic salt

Consume all of the above, possible with some toast.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:43 pm

Bacon-infused bourbon - combining two of my favorite things: bacon and bourbon...

1. Take 2 cups of bourbon, pour it into a jar.
2. Take 3 tablespoons of bacon grease (what you'd get from frying half a package) and pour it into the same jar.
3. Shake jar vigorously and stick it in the freezer for 24 hours.
4. Open jar, take off top layer of fat, and then strain the liquid (I use a coffee filter).
5. Enjoy the bacon-y goodness
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
This thread is making me even more hungry.

My dad used to scramble eggs in bacon grease, right after frying the bacon. Somehow we are all still alive. I cannot speak to the condition of my arteries, though.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by naeglerian

My dad used to scramble eggs in bacon grease, right after frying the bacon. Somehow we are all still alive. I cannot speak to the condition of my arteries, though.
I do that, though I pour most of the grease off first. I like the flavor.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:56 pm

I cook that on occasion for my husband, who likes it. I'm generally the oatmeal/kefir type myself but manage the fried stuff sometimes as well.

Fried bologna is a better choice than bacon, because you have to add the grease. (See note below.). Recipe: Heat the grease, fry bologna until somewhat scorched around the edges. Try to use old-fashioned thick-cut type with real beef and fat and carcinogens if you can get it, none of that thinly sliced minimal-preservative stuff and with chicken added. Best if all, if you find it, something called bologna rings, which I remember from childhood, containing presumably even more carcinogens. "Carcinogens" is another word for "vitamins." Make sure to fry the bologna until it is scorched around the rim before adding the eggs and letting them soak up the scorch. I use canola oil to fry the bologna and eggs in, because I believe in health foods.

Note: Bacon grease is better reserved as an addition to greens and blackeyed peas, to make the next meal healthful too.

Actually, I tend to stay with salads and tuna, well known for pesticides and mercury contamination. But if I were cooking healthful--.

Last edited by SkeptiCallie; Jul 13, 2012 at 8:52 am
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors

I believe I first read this in a James Beard cookbook.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Bread
Generous Mayo
Peanut Butter
3 slices of the worst 'american' cheese

Egg dipped, flour dredged, ends pressed like a ravioli, deep fried.

Alternatively, Bacon wrapped fried oreos.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, the Italian 'Mozzarella en carozza' (sp?) cheese inside, same method, delicious!

Originally Posted by Steph3n
Bread
Generous Mayo
Peanut Butter
3 slices of the worst 'american' cheese

Egg dipped, flour dredged, ends pressed like a ravioli, deep fried.

Alternatively, Bacon wrapped fried oreos.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by emma69
Oh, the Italian 'Mozzarella en carozza' (sp?) cheese inside, same method, delicious!
I have only seen this sandwich eaten, it really doesn't fit my profile of food I want to attempt
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by emma69
Sounds better in Italian. Especially since Italians don't do peanut butter. Without the PB it might be a winner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.