Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Grabbing Java on the road! Starbucks or other?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grabbing Java on the road! Starbucks or other?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Question Grabbing Java on the road! Starbucks or other?

I love coffee. I must have it in the AM or I'm pretty sluggish. I sometimes grab a cup in the afternoon as well to keep me alive.

Starbucks is a pretty safe bet when traveling. They are pretty much everywhere, and lately, the quality (to me) has been stable. Years ago, I got horrid Lattes at a Starbucks in an Airport. Flavored milk. At another, nothing but grounds. Then they closed for a whole day an "RETRAINED" their Baristas and that seemed to make a difference. Could be just my imagination.

The problem is, I like to explore and support local and micro-brew coffee companies.

I was just on a trip to San Diego and discovered a GREAT place in the Mission Valley area (Near the Double-Tree Hotel) called Intermezzo. It was FABULOUS. I asked the concierge "Coffee shops near here?" and he replied "Starbucks, across in the plaza."
Luckily, I found "Intermezzo" before I found the Starbucks. Best Latte I ever had. Isn't it interesting that "Starbucks" seems to always be blurted out when you ask for a coffee shop. If you asked for a Restaurant, would they say "McDonalds". Of course not. But for coffee? Always seems to be Starbucks. For many coffee is simply a staple commodity like gasoline. One brand is like any other. Not to me.

When I was in London last, I discovered "Cafe Nero" and loved it. Yet saw most "Londoners" in Starbucks. I guess for them it was unique.

Yes, I love Peets coffee when in San Fran, and I enjoy other Micros like Cup O' Joe in Columbus, Ohio (Roasted by Staufs). Speaking of Columbus, "Crimson Cup" is my all time FAVE. I actually order this by UPS and brew it at home. Go figure. From Columbus, Ohio? Not the first place that springs to mind for "coffee".

What do you do when on the road? Just grab a cup at the hotel? Go to Starbucks? Explore the "other" local brews?

Last edited by RobbieRunner; Sep 13, 2011 at 8:06 pm
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
I try to stay away from starbucks in general. Their stuff is ok, but at least in my town the good coffee shops charge the same price and deliver twice the quality. I usually make my own coffee at home though and carry it around in a thermos. Espresso is great and all, but at US coffee shop prices it is just not practical.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Tim Hortons is a favorite here in Canada.. and I don't mind Starbucks..

I'm not a coffee drinker.. so I have their other products..
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:08 pm

If I’m going to a city I’m unfamiliar with an expect to have time, I’ll search coffeegeek.com or toomuchcoffee.com and see if there’s anything worth checking out in the area.

Or, if I’m going to a city with a coffee scene I’m familiar with, like London, I’ll just head straight there first chance I get! Nothing like Fernandez and Wells or Flat White in London.

Also, my standard route from my house to IAH takes me by Houston’s best cafe, Catalina Coffee.

I personally can’t stand the liquid charcoal Starbucks sells as coffee. I’ll drink it if I have to just to get going in the morning, but only then. I carry a hand grinder, collapsible filter cone and immersion boiler with me on trips so I can make a good cup with fresh beans in my hotel.

Last edited by IAHRyan; Sep 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:47 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
One of my favs is Pegasus on Bainbridge island, great stuff. I am in western NY, so Tim Hortons and Dunkin Donuts are on every other corner.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IAHRyan
If I’m going to a city I’m unfamiliar with an expect to have time, I’ll search coffeegeek.com or toomuchcoffee.com and see if there’s anything worth checking out in the area.

Or, if I’m going to a city with a coffee scene I’m familiar with, like London, I’ll just head straight there first chance I get! Nothing like Fernandez and Wells or Flat White in London.

Also, my standard route from my house to IAH takes me by Houston’s best cafe, Catalina Coffee.

I personally can’t stand the liquid charcoal Starbucks sells as coffee. I’ll drink it if I have to just to get going in the morning, but only then. I carry a hand grinder, collapsible filter cone and immersion boiler with me on trips so I can make a good cup with fresh beans in my hotel.
Agreed.. Starbucks is more convenience then anything..

Given the choice, I'd go for some specialty Mocha Frappacino place..
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue this discussion in the Dining Buzz Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I don't drink coffee regularly, so I will go where its convenient. (Dunkin, McD's, Sbucks)
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:08 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
When I was in London last, I discovered "Cafe Nero" and loved it. Yet saw most "Londoners" in Starbucks. I guess for them it was unique.
Caffe Nero is easily one of the best nationwide chains in the UK, but Starbucks is hardly unique - we've had loads of them since they took over the Seattle Coffee Company (run be an American expat) in 1998

They quality has vastly improved recently, too - they've started using a darker roast (which is more popular in this part of the world) and much better milk. Plus, you get your coffee in a proper mug!

There's also AMT (very good, but usually just takeaway), Costa (annoyingly inconsistent) and Pret (mostly for sandwiches, but they do excellent coffee too). Smaller chains like Tinderbox do a better job still, but they're harder to find. Even soulless business parks get espresso vans doing the rounds to keep the people working there perked up.

No shortage of independent places around now, though - the days where all you had was a mug of milky tea or Nescafé with a cream cake on a formica table are long gone (although you can still find those places...) Even my little market town has a great, independent coffee place right on the market square.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I don't drink coffee regularly, so I will go where its convenient. (Dunkin, McD's, Sbucks)
Same here. I dont drink coffee that much so I cant really tell "really" good coffee from bad. But I do like taste of Starbucks stuff. (no wonder they are so popular? )
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
I drink iced tea from Starbucks and will frequent Starbucks whenever I travel in North America. Iced tea outside of NA is kind of a crap shoot and usually go with one of the frozen drinks that Starbucks offers outside of NA.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Caffe Nero is easily one of the best nationwide chains in the UK, but Starbucks is hardly unique - we've had loads of them since they took over the Seattle Coffee Company (run be an American expat) in 1998
Thanks for the info. I was amazed how "Busy" Starbucks was compared to Cafe Nero. For me, it was no comparison. Nero was so much better, but to each their own.
Perhaps where I was in London (South Kensington) the locals just prefer Starbucks.
Cheers.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Tim Hortons is a favorite here in Canada.. and I don't mind Starbucks..

I'm not a coffee drinker.. so I have their other products..
I wish I lived closer to a Tim Hortons. I've been threatening a 5 hour road trip in each direction just to get to a Tim Hortons.
Originally Posted by IAHRyan

Thanks for the websites.
Originally Posted by jg3
One of my favs is Pegasus on Bainbridge island, great stuff. I am in western NY, so Tim Hortons and Dunkin Donuts are on every other corner.
Adopt me? I should add that Tim Hortons brings back childhood memories along with yummy coffee and donuts, so some of it is sentimental.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Most of my Canadian friends like Tim Hortons.
Most of my American friends do not.
I'm indifferent.
I don't do donuts, so I can't comment on their donut (or Doughnut if you prefer) quality.
Their coffee is on par with McDonalds IMO.

Speaking of that, years ago, Micky D's was the best place to get the bottomless cup of coffee for those that drank cup after cup day after day.
You got a Micky D's cup and coffee in the AM. They used to put out coffee pots on the counter. You refilled at any Micky D's all day long. I never did this, but many of my traveling friends did, and clued me in on that.
No wonder they removed the coffee pots from the counters.

You can do the same thing with Hampton Inn or any middle chain hotel that keeps coffee out all day. Just stop in with your Hampton mug and refill. Assuming there is a Hampton along the way. Most high-end chains do not place coffee out all day.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kipper
I wish I lived closer to a Tim Hortons. I've been threatening a 5 hour road trip in each direction just to get to a Tim Hortons.

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Most of my Canadian friends like Tim Hortons.
Most of my American friends do not.
I'm indifferent.
I don't do donuts, so I can't comment on their donut (or Doughnut if you prefer) quality.
Their coffee is on par with McDonalds IMO.

Speaking of that, years ago, Micky D's was the best place to get the bottomless cup of coffee for those that drank cup after cup day after day.
You got a Micky D's cup and coffee in the AM. They used to put out coffee pots on the counter. You refilled at any Micky D's all day long. I never did this, but many of my traveling friends did, and clued me in on that.
No wonder they removed the coffee pots from the counters.

You can do the same thing with Hampton Inn or any middle chain hotel that keeps coffee out all day. Just stop in with your Hampton mug and refill. Assuming there is a Hampton along the way. Most high-end chains do not place coffee out all day.
Tim Hortons in Canada is over the top line ups.. We're talking 15 to 20 minute waits just to get your order in.. and sometimes theres so many vehicles lined up thru the drivethru, vehicles are lined up on the street no kidding!

We are just doing up a Tim Hortons at one of our centers, and the city requires enough drive thru space for 25 vehicles.. yes.. 25 vehicles.. the architect has a double lane merging into a single lane, just to accomodate the volume requirements..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.