Spicy treats, at least according to you

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:14 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Spicy Foods (and Drinks too)

Compliments of the season!

My taste buds are my main reason for traveling (within and outside of the states), though admittedly I've crossed the Pacific quite a pinch these past few years.

Anyway, regardless of where I am, I always crave a specific few edibles, namely, Manado and Aceh cuisine (from Indonesia), Xinjiang's liberal dispersing of cumin on yangrou chuar (lamb kebabs), aubergine dishes with Chinese peppers anywhere from Sichuan curving east and south to Hunan and Guizhou, gunpowder from South Asia, and the mustard eaten with tonkatsu, c/o Japan. Things Mexican and green papaya can be added to the list too, but the former do it well enough. I haven't necessarily been to all of these countries regions', but that's where the melting pot metropolises such as Jakarta and Shenzhen come in handy....

The above-mentioned Indonesian food is particularly difficult to find outside of the country (I've searched the shopping centres of Orchard Rd. in Singapore even, though KL might've had a chance), but oh is refreshing, if hard to consume without an avocado shake.

Please share your fondest spicy food experiences, as I know I yearn for cakalang pampis and ayam tangkap daily!

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Oct 30, 2011 at 8:31 am Reason: more good food
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
Compliments of the season!

My taste buds are my main reason for traveling (within and outside of the states), though admittedly I've crossed the Pacific quite a pinch these past few years.

Anyway, regardless of where I am, I always crave a specific few edibles, namely, Manado and Aceh cuisine (from Indonesia), aubergine dishes with Chinese peppers anywhere from Sichuan curving east and south to Hunan and Guizhou, gunpowder from South Asia, and the mustard eaten with tonkatsu, c/o Japan. Things Mexican and green papaya can be added to the list too, but the former do it well enough. I haven't necessarily been to all of these countries regions', but that's where the melting pot metropolises such as Jakarta and Shenzhen come in handy....

The above-mentioned Indonesian food is particularly difficult to find outside of the country (I've searched the shopping centres of Orchard Rd. in Singapore even, though KL might've had a chance), but oh is refreshing, if hard to consume without an avocado shake.

Please share your fondest spicy food experiences, as I know I yearn for cakalang pampis and ayam tangkap daily!
I'm more of an Indian food girl, love many of those combinations of spices. I particulaly like things in a corriander and tomato based sauce, nice and spicy ideally with some paneer and a fresh naan! Love poppadums with onion chutney too. Oh and potato and pea filled samosas. And onion baji. Horribly inauthentic of me, that, and I haven't made it to India yet, but I have had some amazing Indian food in the UK. Mmmmmm. I have to go at least a couple of times when I am back.

Do like Mexican too - had some great 'street food' (albeit at a little outdoor bar rather than a food cart) when I was down there earlier this year. Lovely cheesy quesidillas, but served with the most amazing hot salsa. Mmmmm.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:08 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by emma69
I'm more of an Indian food girl, love many of those combinations of spices. I particulaly like things in a corriander and tomato based sauce, nice and spicy ideally with some paneer and a fresh naan! Love poppadums with onion chutney too. Oh and potato and pea filled samosas. And onion baji. Horribly inauthentic of me, that, and I haven't made it to India yet, but I have had some amazing Indian food in the UK. Mmmmmm. I have to go at least a couple of times when I am back.

Do like Mexican too - had some great 'street food' (albeit at a little outdoor bar rather than a food cart) when I was down there earlier this year. Lovely cheesy quesidillas, but served with the most amazing hot salsa. Mmmmm.
Where in Mexico did you find yourself? Mexico City? Are you a fan of avocado?
I went into the park by the national theatre in the capital, and thought I was getting avocados on my tacos. Instead, it was an extremely fiery albeit green goop, rendering my incapable of talking for no short chott.

As for just about anything Indian, I dig the spicy variety quite well too, just as long as the accompaniment isn't lemon achaar.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Peruvian Shrimp Ceviche with Tiger's milk is INCREDIBLE!

Habenero, citrus, lip burning liquid fire of wonder!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tad's Broiled Steaks
Where in Mexico did you find yourself? Mexico City? Are you a fan of avocado?
I went into the park by the national theatre in the capital, and thought I was getting avocados on my tacos. Instead, it was an extremely fiery albeit green goop, rendering my incapable of talking for no short chott.

As for just about anything Indian, I dig the spicy variety quite well too, just as long as the accompaniment isn't lemon achaar.
Ah no, tourist central Quintana Roo! It was a little town we stopped at when we were off sightseeing on our own - we picked this place because it was where all the local cab drivers, bus drivers etc. were getting food from while the tourists were in the more frou frou place up the street!

I love avocado, I think I would have been fooled too! I once went to a little cafe somewhere in wales, ordered a shortbread type biscuit which was quite nasty and not at all sweet, so I thought 'I'll sprinkle a little sugar on' from the sugar pourer (the type you find in diners). Alas, it turned out to be salt! Who in their right mind POURS salt on to food tableside!!!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was in Fort Lauderdale last year with a friend of mine visiting her family. They're all Indians from Guyana (confusing, right? Oh Imperialism) and when I mentioned I liked spicy food they gave me some of their own hot sauce. All that's in it is peppers they grew themselves and maybe two or three other ingredients. It was so amazing (though I did need a large glass of milk) and now I'm going to have to convince them to give me the recipe. Or maybe just a large bottle
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was in Fort Lauderdale last year with a friend of mine visiting her family. They're all Indians from Guyana (confusing, right? Oh Imperialism) and when I mentioned I liked spicy food they gave me some of their own hot sauce. All that's in it is peppers they grew themselves and maybe two or three other ingredients. It was so amazing (though I did need a large glass of milk) and now I'm going to have to convince them to give me the recipe. Or maybe just a large bottle
I know exactly what you are talking about. When I lived in Guyana, they had this hot sauce that can be substituted for paint thinner. Literally strips paint yet it was not just pure heat, it was tasty too.

Brought back 1 gallon jug of the stuff to Canada however I forgot about it, stayed under the sink until I moved again a few years later. Open the jug, the fumes made my eyes water. My taste buds returned to its Canadian roots by that time so when I tried it, I thought I was going to die.

I truly feel, good spicy food should be tasted thrice. Once doing down, another burping up and the third time sitting down.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
As for spicy food I love.

Mala Huo Guo - Sichuan. It looks so spicy that you are almost in fear but then realize that there is more to it than just burn but it is very tasty.

I initially thought that the red-orange soup was food coloring but they explained that it was the natural peppers of the region.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:31 am

Peri Peri anything is the best spicy treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.