Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Quaker Steak & Lube: Worth a 2 Hour Drive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I live in Durham, NC and the last time I drove to Charlotte (about 130 miles or 2 hours) I noticed a Quaker Steak & Lube had opened on the north end of town in Concord. Now, I'm a big wings fan and I've always wanted to try Quaker Steak. However, 260 miles round trip is a long way to go. Is it worth the drive if I have some free time and a hankering for wings?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
That's 40-50 bucks in gas, at least. You can buy a buttload of chicken wings and Crystal Hot Sauce to make your own for that...
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:10 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Not worth the trip IMO.
Agree with previous reply... at today's gas prices, WHY?
Their food (wings) are nothing special. Certainly NOT worth that trip.
Do what you want with your money, of course, but if it were my money? I'd not spend it on a 4 hour road trip for wings!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
If you were in CLT, then it would be worth it to seek them out, but I would not drive 2 hours for them...My in-laws are in PIT, so I do go there everytime I go back ( I guess my reward for going to see them )
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
Go to Johnson's in Siler City for the best cheeseburger in the whole effing universe. It's a real experience and totally worth the long drive. Get there by noon. They are open until 2pm or until they run out of meat, whichever comes first.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've not been to one in 5 years or so, but no, it's not worth a 2 hour drive.

Funny story about one in PIT. During the 2006 PA governor's campaign, Mr. Kipper and I volunteered for the Swann campaign. The Lt. Governor candidate was Jim Matthews (brother of Chris Matthews). He flew into PIT for an appearance, and told the staffer who was assigned to take care of him that he wanted to go to a good steakhouse for dinner that night. The campaign office was in downtown PIT, and rather than take him to one of the steakhouses in downtown, the staffer drove Jim Matthews out of the city, towards the airport, and took him to Quaker Steak & Lube. That was his idea of a good steakhouse!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Pardon my ignorance, but this steak and lube place, you get a steak while they service your car?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Sounds like a brothel
Old Apr 20, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I've not been there(guess I got to try it out) but no way would I make that kind of drive at today's gas prices.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
Pardon my ignorance, but this steak and lube place, you get a steak while they service your car?
LOL, it's a play on Quaker State and Lube. They have all sorts of old car racing collectibles. They specialize in wings.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
Originally Posted by bensyd
They serve you a steak and then they serve you.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for the advice everyone, I will wait until I have a reason to be in Charlotte and swing by.

Originally Posted by Alpha
Go to Johnson's in Siler City for the best cheeseburger in the whole effing universe. It's a real experience and totally worth the long drive. Get there by noon. They are open until 2pm or until they run out of meat, whichever comes first.
After doing a little research on this place I do think I'm going to take a drive down. Especially as I like the ride on 15/501 to 64 to get here and it's only about an hour.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I was really disappointed in Quaker Steak & Lube. The wings were okay, but I was just really disappointed that when I asked for blue cheese they served me these small pre packaged dipping cups of watery fairly tasteless goo.

Last edited by prncess674; Apr 25, 2011 at 7:29 am
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by prncess674
I would really disappointed in Quaker Steak & Lube. The wings were okay, but I was just really disappointed that when I asked for blue cheese they served me these small pre packaged dipping cups of watery fairly tasteless goo.
I think most "wing" places have pre-packaged dipping cups. Last I knew Buffalo Wild Wings had similar pre-packaged dipping cups for their dressings. My guess is that it decreases time servers or kitchen employees have to spend preparing orders when they're busy.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kipper
I think most "wing" places have pre-packaged dipping cups. Last I knew Buffalo Wild Wings had similar pre-packaged dipping cups for their dressings. My guess is that it decreases time servers or kitchen employees have to spend preparing orders when they're busy.
The last time I was at BWW they served blue cheese in small cups but it wasn't some sauce with a paper lid glued to the top in a shelf stable format. The BWW blue cheese was creamy and tangy with chunks of blue cheese. The QS&L was this itty bitty cup of watery paste with no flavor. If you are "wing" place I expect that you should have good dipping sauces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.