Search

Rice cooker advice please

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:04 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
In general they will produce better rice than most people can make using a traditional pot. I certainly get excellent results with mine, which is a Zojirushi model that uses induction heating (IH) technology, and cooks rice under a high level of pressure.

Most rice cookers will do a good job, but the best ones use induction to cook the rice (and keep it warm), and are "pressure type" models- ones that cook rice under pressure. These will produce better rice, and keep it nicely warmed and ready to eat generally for about 24 hours (or even longer, but I prefer to make fresh rice each day)
Thanks for your post ..... as I've said since I have my new Zoji which is now used daily. We're very fond of it!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by uk1
Thanks for your post ..... as I've said since I have my new Zoji which is now used daily. We're very fond of it!
Sorry- hadn`t read the whole thread before responding. Zojirushi is a great brand in rice cookers, you will enjoy it for many years!
Old Feb 15, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: Starwood
my 2 cents: as a daily rice eater

white rice= most brands will get the job done well.

brown rice= purchased a Cuckoo high pressure cooker 5 years from a Home store in LA (apparently its a popular korean brand) for $150. I use it to cook mostly brown rice everyday and it has yet fail me. Thats probably in the range of 1,500 cycles

just an added note: supposedly pressure cooking reduces aflatoxins (toxins harmful to humans in higher levels)

good luck on your search
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:38 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Whatever you do... just make sure its a brand that is either Japanese or Korean !!! ^
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:02 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

I give up.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:24 am

I'd been meaning to get a new rice cooker for a while, and this thread finally got me to do it.

Zojirushi NS-ZCC18 arrived last week. Brown rice was very good, I just need to tweak the water amount slightly to get it a bit chewier, and it will be great. I've also made steel-cut oats twice, including last night/this morning with the timer function. It was great to wake up, walk into the kitchen, and hear the 'ready' melody indicating that my breakfast was ready. Delicious steel-cut oats with no waiting in the morning!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:33 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
I'd been meaning to get a new rice cooker for a while, and this thread finally got me to do it.

Zojirushi NS-ZCC18 arrived last week. Brown rice was very good, I just need to tweak the water amount slightly to get it a bit chewier, and it will be great. I've also made steel-cut oats twice, including last night/this morning with the timer function. It was great to wake up, walk into the kitchen, and hear the 'ready' melody indicating that my breakfast was ready. Delicious steel-cut oats with no waiting in the morning!
Well done!

Today I set it to harder, added butter, water, salt, broken cinamon stick onto my washed basmati. Wonderful rice.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
grown up the chinese way i'm very used to cooking with zoji. I'm also pretty good at doing it with a pot and for risotto, a pan.
Zoji usually makes very good rice esp with the newer type fuzzy logic for japanese/brown rice mix. However when cooking for my self after work (usually have the dish already prepared) i would not want to wait for another 15 mins...(the quickest rice cooker i've used takes 30-40 mins, and there is 1 that makes really good rice... takes 50 mins!)... i've accustomed to cook rice with a pot (1 part rice 1 part water, bring to boil, then stir till the bottom (so rice wont stick to the bottom to make cleaning PITA), and simmer till all water is absorbed whilst lid's on. I personally like a bit more water. For japanese rice, presoak for 15-20 mins, and use the same ratio AFTER (I personally prefer 1 part rice 1.25 part water tho)
after the cooking is done i leave it in for another 5 mins to rest, then fluff it.

Zoji is good, as long as you dont use a pot-for-10 for 1 person, or mind the wait!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
I use the quick setting if I want steel cut with a little bite, or the porridge setting if I want them really creamy.
:: perk ::
About how long do steel-cut oats take in your rice cooker? I don't have a fancy one with such settings, just on/warm/off.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by cubbie
:: perk ::
About how long do steel-cut oats take in your rice cooker? I don't have a fancy one with such settings, just on/warm/off.
In my Zojirushi, they take slightly over an hour on the 'porridge' setting (the Zos do cook well, but I believe they are notorious for long cook times compared to other cookers). That's with a 3:1:0.5 water: oats: dried fruit ratio.

Last edited by clarence5ybr; Feb 23, 2011 at 9:13 am Reason: added spaces after colons at end of last sentence to avoid unwanted emoticon
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
In my Zojirushi, they take slightly over an hour on the 'porridge' setting (the Zos do cook well, but I believe they are notorious for long cook times compared to other cookers). That's with a 3:1:0.5 waterats:dried fruit ratio.
Thanks, clarence. I'll give it a try.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:12 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

I guess it must prove how wonderfully pointless my existence is.

For some reason I have started to think of little Zoji as being .... well ... sort of human. It isn't just that I talk to it. I talk to lots of inanimate objects particularly in my kitchen. I don't expect a response. In fact I prefer it that way. Most things I talk to answer back or contradict. But not in my kitchen. I hasten to add - I don't talk to knives or stuff like that. I only talk to things that do things. Like for example I may ask the grill why it had to burn something.

But today I started talking to Little Zoji. I found myself apologising for giving him the day off today.

Is this the first sign?

Or is it more advanced?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Is this the first sign?

Or is it more advanced?
Just wait until you start using it to cook the Japonica grains it was designed for.

Our regular rice is labelled A131 here:
http://www.ricewineshop.com/cgi-bin/...i?product=kome

It's US grown keisenmai (easywash) Koshihikari packed for Nishimoto.
It's (for us) the best value Japonica rice we've found in the UK. We found you need to pay considerably more than this to get anything better.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 7:10 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Just wait until you start using it to cook the Japonica grains it was designed for.

Our regular rice is labelled A131 here:
http://www.ricewineshop.com/cgi-bin/...i?product=kome

It's US grown keisenmai (easywash) Koshihikari packed for Nishimoto.
It's (for us) the best value Japonica rice we've found in the UK. We found you need to pay considerably more than this to get anything better.
I got all excited. I extracted my credit card to acquire said rice (I'm a very trusting sort of chap) - but there was all these funny squiggles - a bit like tapeworms.

When I eat rice I don't want tapeworms - just the normal mice poo will do.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
There was this OMNI rice cooker thread a couple years ago. Thought I'd bump it. Hope this isn't a dup. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.