Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What food do you take with you on a flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
On F/J or Y for comp meals?.. Comp meals in NA is a thing of the past, and I certainly wish it was still part of the program.. Back in the old days, snacks and drinks accompanied the meals on the same flight..
I am generally thinking flights outside of NA (Europe etc). I normally don't need a snack on a couple of hours flight.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
I am generally thinking flights outside of NA (Europe etc). I normally don't need a snack on a couple of hours flight.
Contrary.. for me.. its nice to have snacks whatever flight it is.. but that must change to help me with my weight management program.

Thanks for clarity.. Just wondering with meals comment.. do you get meals on Y, when travelling abroad?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
If I remember, I'll pack a small cheese/crackers (usually Club) and a two-pack of frosted PopTarts from the convenience store, maybe some almonds if I'm leaving from home. I'll buy a 20oz Diet Coke or a liter of water at the airport. If the flight is more than about 800 miles and I didn't get time to eat in advance, I'll try to get a turkey sandwich from Potbelly/Quizno's/Great American Bagel/etc at the airport.

A couple of city-specific things:
- San Diego: If I have an afternoon flight, I'll bring on some cold shellfish from Point Loma Seafoods, hold the sauces.
- Austin: One more batch of Amy's ice cream, near gate 12. Usually a milk shake for portability.
- SFO: A pastrami sandwich from Max's in Concourse B.

Transoceanic, I'm on a J award or I'm not flying, so I don't bring much more than that, maybe another liter of water.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:14 am

I've gotta have my Cup-O-Pizza ! wj
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contrary.. for me.. its nice to have snacks whatever flight it is.. but that must change to help me with my weight management program.

Thanks for clarity.. Just wondering with meals comment.. do you get meals on Y, when travelling abroad?
Yup, the airlines I fly I get fed in Y - normally a nice curry (Air Canada Veggie option on the way to Europe!) as the main meal, and some sort of breakfast snack (muffin, fruit etc), coming back, depending on time of day, another curry, perhaps a hot pastie type idea.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yup, the airlines I fly I get fed in Y - normally a nice curry (Air Canada Veggie option on the way to Europe!) as the main meal, and some sort of breakfast snack (muffin, fruit etc), coming back, depending on time of day, another curry, perhaps a hot pastie type idea.
So AC still serves a meal in Y on overseas flights.. good to know..

I thought AC abolished all free Y meals.. and require passengers to purchase if hungry..

Isn't the taxes on those flights exhorbitant.. I guess the meal expense has to come out of somewhere..
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So AC still serves a meal in Y on overseas flights.. good to know..

I thought AC abolished all free Y meals.. and require passengers to purchase if hungry..

Isn't the taxes on those flights exhorbitant.. I guess the meal expense has to come out of somewhere..
Yes, for now. I suspect it is probably easier for them to just serve meals, as most people on an 8 hour flight are going to want some form of food - knowing ahead they have to provide x regular meals, y special meals allows them to plan with minimum wastage - I'm not sure a choice between 2 items would work especially well if people were paying - you might get a lot of wastage, or unhappy customers (those with religious restrictions, vegetarians, kids etc).

Taxes are horrible - $99 fare to London at the moment - $500 odd in taxes!
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Yes, for now. I suspect it is probably easier for them to just serve meals, as most people on an 8 hour flight are going to want some form of food - knowing ahead they have to provide x regular meals, y special meals allows them to plan with minimum wastage - I'm not sure a choice between 2 items would work especially well if people were paying - you might get a lot of wastage, or unhappy customers (those with religious restrictions, vegetarians, kids etc).

Taxes are horrible - $99 fare to London at the moment - $500 odd in taxes!
I wonder if there is a pattern with meals served on board..

higher taxes and fees.. even on FFP redemptions.. on routes to recover costs in part due to meals, when flights actually serve meals in Y..

A thought.. Perhaps the EU judgement has something to do with the higher taxes and fees as well..
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the flight I am taking it breaks down like this:

Base Fare 391.00
Surcharges 30.00 (think this is NAV Canada from the amount)
Fuel Surcharge 360.00
Taxes, Fees and Charges
Canada Airport Improvement Fee 25.00
U.K. Passenger Service Charge 48.87
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287 RT0001) 3.25
U.K. Air Passenger Duty 95.72
Air Travellers Security Charge (ATSC) 25.91
Total airfare and taxes before options (per passenger) 979.75

Given that, if it was included, they would be lying by including food items in those charges.

Mind you, AC website tells me ATSC should be $17 - and they charged me 25.91, so I am now on hold to AC while they try and tell me why! Clearly I am having a petty day!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Base Fare 391.00
Fuel Surcharge 360.00
Taxes, Fees and Charges

Given that, if it was included, they would be lying by including food items in those charges.

Mind you, AC website tells me ATSC should be $17 - and they charged me 25.91, so I am now on hold to AC while they try and tell me why! Clearly I am having a petty day!
That is why on my bake beans search May12 I am flying my two off-springs who are graduating the same time (Amen) and my parents (total 6) BUF JFK CDG and channel to UK before looking for a Scotch to go with the beans.

I am saving $2000 in LHR and YYZ fees total for 6 J/C tickets. That will buy a lot of bake beans or Scotch.

BACK ON TOPIC
Genuine Japanese Waygu is not consumed the same way as Western culture would grill a thick steak. It is best enjoyed prepared Japanese style whether shashimi, shabu-shabu or quick grill/sear.
As for me, now that there is no kids duty I will fire up the charcoal Weber and grill a piece steak from COSTCO until I find a good steakhouse tenant!

Last edited by tentseller; Nov 2, 2011 at 11:59 am
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Base Fare 391.00
Fuel Surcharge 360.00
Taxes, Fees and Charges

Buried in the fuel surcharges.

Correct.. a conspiracy theory..

but at least you get value for the extra high fees.. My Hawaii fees for Spring Break for 4 tickets was $650.. from YYC
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but at least you get value for the extra high fees.. My Hawaii fees for Spring Break for 4 tickets was $650.. from YYC
Hmmm, value, the UK in January... think I'll take Hawaii!
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Count your blessing Hi from YYZ with AP redemption; fees = $900 for four.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
Count your blessing Hi from YYZ with AP redemption; fees = $900 for four.
Figure its the fuel charges..

My YYC-CUN, CUN-LAX, LAX-YYC charges were more @ $775 approx for 3 tickets this past summer, but that includes a $30 per ticket booking fee..

Correction YYC-HNL, OGG-YYC is $172.06 per ticket.. So $688.24.. But I had to make a change so $360 in change fees to get the flights outbound we wanted.. booked early to get the inbound we wanted..
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Figure its the fuel charges..

My YYC-CUN, CUN-LAX, LAX-YYC charges were more @ $775 approx for 3 tickets this past summer, but that includes a $30 per ticket booking fee..

Correction YYC-HNL, OGG-YYC is $172.06 per ticket.. So $688.24.. But I had to make a change so $360 in change fees to get the flights outbound we wanted.. booked early to get the inbound we wanted..
YYZ fees are higher than YYC.

Nice that YYZ is close to BUF. When I fly family on my miles from the fee is $7.50 anywhere in the US including HNL and ANC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.