Wiki Posts
Search

Starbucks Via: Travel Just Got Better

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by noneemac
Do tell! Which brands? Are they avail in the U.S.? I'd like to try some.
I bought them in Switzerland, but since then actually saw them at the checkout counter at Dollar General store...Nespresso I think is the one here?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Count me as a recent Via fan too, and I am NOT an instant coffee drinker! I too have tried the Nestle's packets overseas and really liked them better than any instant, freeze-dried or hotel-packaged coffeemaker coffee I've ever tasted, but Via has those beat too! I got samples of both Columbian and Italian Roast in the mail -- preferred the Columbian, but both are good. The coffee is more finely ground than most instants, and they are promoting it for iced-coffee on the go as well, just drop one packet into a post-security cold water bottle...

Sadly, Via seems very expensive -- I just got a 12-pack at amazon.com for $8.95, but for great travel size, convenience, and excellent taste, I'd sure bring some on my next trip!
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very good - I tried Italian Roast, and it's almost like a good, fresh cup of dark roast coffee. I can just barely tell it's instant, but it does have that telltale flavor - I guess like that commercial, if you didn't know in advance you were drinking instant, you wouldn't ever suspect. ^ Got the three-pack for $3.95 - not cheap at all, but if coffee is a deity in your pantheon of deities, this may be the solution to on-the-road coffee blues. And as I think about it, it's actually even better than fresh-brewed Pike's Place - can't stand that blend. So for about $1.33, you get a better coffee than a fresh cup at $1.89 or so. What's not to like?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Not a big Starbucks fan but given how wretched on-board coffee is I may have to try it on my next flight. I really need that caffeine boost at the end of a redeye, and tea just doesn't deliver.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:02 pm

I don't understand why anyone would get elated about instant coffee but then the manic popularity of Uggs and Cabbage Patch Dolls baffles me too.

Last edited by Analise; Jan 8, 2010 at 4:54 pm
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
I don't understand why anyone would get elated about instant coffee but then the manic popularity of Uggs and Cabbage Patch Dolls baffle me too.
Or L'Eggs, remember those? The gimmick was, of course, it came in an egg, lol. Which kind of tied in with 70's lingo about hot girls being 'chicks'.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Did we forget about Crocs? Fugly, man!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Originally Posted by Steph3n
I bought them in Switzerland, but since then actually saw them at the checkout counter at Dollar General store...Nespresso I think is the one here?
Thanks. I'll def keep an eye out for them. Don't see many Dollar Generals in LAX; mostly 99 Cents Only stores, which probably also have them.

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
Count me as a recent Via fan too, and I am NOT an instant coffee drinker! I too have tried the Nestle's packets overseas and really liked them better than any instant, freeze-dried or hotel-packaged coffeemaker coffee I've ever tasted, but Via has those beat too! I got samples of both Columbian and Italian Roast in the mail -- preferred the Columbian, but both are good. The coffee is more finely ground than most instants, and they are promoting it for iced-coffee on the go as well, just drop one packet into a post-security cold water bottle...

Sadly, Via seems very expensive -- I just got a 12-pack at amazon.com for $8.95, but for great travel size, convenience, and excellent taste, I'd sure bring some on my next trip!

Originally Posted by anonplz
Very good - I tried Italian Roast, and it's almost like a good, fresh cup of dark roast coffee. I can just barely tell it's instant, but it does have that telltale flavor - I guess like that commercial, if you didn't know in advance you were drinking instant, you wouldn't ever suspect. ^ Got the three-pack for $3.95 - not cheap at all, but if coffee is a deity in your pantheon of deities, this may be the solution to on-the-road coffee blues. And as I think about it, it's actually even better than fresh-brewed Pike's Place - can't stand that blend. So for about $1.33, you get a better coffee than a fresh cup at $1.89 or so. What's not to like?
Agreed, re the pricing. The 12-packs make Via a little more affordable. Anonplz, I'm pretty sure the normal Starbucks pricing on 3-packs is $2.95. Did you buy yours at an airport Starbucks?

I've noticed the gray decaf version has hit the stores in the last month or so.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Count me as a big S'bux fan, but I can't for the life of me find a use case for Via that makes any sense in my world. <shrug>
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anonplz
if coffee is a deity in your pantheon of deities?
V.interesting imagery...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by footprints
Count me as a big S'bux fan, but I can't for the life of me find a use case for Via that makes any sense in my world. <shrug>
One great use is to take a packet of the French Roast and mix it into a bowl of Vanilla ice cream. Awesome!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Are you serious?

I don't see a smiley...
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:05 pm

+1. Got them for free in Dallas for the initial promo and have been travelling with them ever since. I will often use two in a large cup though for more flavor.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Originally Posted by hbsseller
+1. Got them for free in Dallas for the initial promo and have been travelling with them ever since. I will often use two in a large cup though for more flavor.
Sweet! Glad you're on board.^
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I am NOT an instant coffee drinker!
I am not a fan of instant coffee, though if I have to resort to such, my choice would be UCC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.