Wiki Posts
Search

Diners Club, Discover, and MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by iamife
...DC is good card too when all the confusion is settled and a DC holder can actually know that his or her plastic will be accepted...
There is no confusion for cards issued in Canada or USA. However, for cards issued elsewhere there is probably uncertainty in North America about whether Discover merchants will actually accept the card.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: EBS
Originally Posted by mia
There is no confusion for cards issued in Canada or USA. However, for cards issued elsewhere there is probably uncertainty in North America about whether Discover merchants will actually accept the card.
A have not used my DC in USA since the change, but on back of my Danish Dinerscard there is a Discover logo, so I hope it will be accepted at Discover merchants in North America.

I remember there was a Mastercard logo on the back of the card before the changes. It was there, so the cardowners was able to use it in the USA, where Mastercard was accepted, it was not possible to use the card anywhere else in the world with a MC sign, only if the merchants accepted Diners.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by bjerregaard
I remember there was a Mastercard logo on the back of the card before the changes. It was there, so the cardowners was able to use it in the USA, where Mastercard was accepted,.
That was it, in theory. In practice it didn't work at least in e.g. Radio Shack even though they tried to process it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:37 pm

My experience has been that US merchants do accept Diners Club International cards as if they were Discover cards. However, many online US Web sites have not updated their software to recognise Diners Club cards on the Discover network. A notable exception is PayPal, which accepts Diners Club cards as Discover cards for US$ charges, even though PayPal does not accept American Express (at least in Australia).
Old Dec 15, 2012, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by edcba
A notable exception is PayPal, which accepts Diners Club cards as Discover cards for US$ charges, even though PayPal does not accept American Express (at least in Australia).
Probably different in different markets.

I have a couple of UK AmEx cards linked to PayPal UK.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by mia
That is what I meant... AX issued anywhere is AX when used anywhere. Would be nice if DC is just like this... Maybe this will bring some more value sort of "justsaying"
Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: EBS
Originally Posted by iamife
That is what I meant... AX issued anywhere is AX when used anywhere. Would be nice if DC is just like this... Maybe this will bring some more value sort of "justsaying"
A Diners Card issued anywhere is also a DC used anywhere, if the merchant has a DC logo, so I don't think it is that confusing.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA/DL/UA/US
Smile Diners club ownership

Interesting discussion and I think clarified some things for people. However, I must note that Citicorp sold the US/Canada Diners club license about three years ago to BMO, the holding company for Bank of Montreal. US cards say Harris Bank as it is the principal US operation of BMO. They sent me my first Chip-and-Pin card last spring and I used it successfully in July when I was in Halifax for Tall Ships. Told the bartendress at the ritzy bar on the waterfront to "be gentle with me" because it was my first time, but everything sailed right through. Haven't yet used it in any third countries, but of course it works as a swipe card in the USA.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bjerregaard
A Diners Card issued anywhere is also a DC used anywhere, if the merchant has a DC logo, so I don't think it is that confusing.
Are you sure? Don't the US-issued (and Canada-issued) DCs that have the MC logo on the front and whose account numbers start with a "5" work only on the MC network? Would they really work at a merchant who (legatimately*) has a DC logo, but doesn't accept MC (if you could find such a merchant!)?

*In the days before my US-issued DC was a MasterCard, I found all too many cases of merchants who had a DC logo on the door but it turned out that they had stopped accepting DC years ago and had just never removed the logo. So I don't think you can trust the logo on the door to be 100% correct.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:08 am

Diners Club Deal Troubles Discover

Was an interesting story regarding Diners franchise becoming a big debt for Discover..

Diners Club Deal Troubles Discover

Discover expected it to expand their network when they bought international part of Diners. Now some of their franchise including Italian are in trouble..

Though not directly related,
I plan to keep US Diners (Master) but cancel international (Discover) one.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cozysuite
For those who don't know:

If you can't read the whole article using the link above because you're not a WSJ subscriber, go to Google News and search for that article title, and it'll come up with a version you can read.

Btw, what's the 1963 movie about Diners Club that they're talking about?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Btw, what's the 1963 movie about Diners Club that they're talking about?
"The man from the Diners' Club"
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Interesting article. Yeah, it's been bumpy, but Rome wasn't built in a day. In the beginning, how many years did it take before Discover was profitable? The fact was that they needed an overseas network, and plugging into DC's was a heck of a lot faster and cheaper than spending years, if not decades, doing it from scratch.

When they bought DC, Discover made a decision, maybe or maybe not correct, to only take over the network, and not get into the DC card issuance.

It's a long term strategy, and it's costing more than they thought it would, but they are making fantastic strides in getting Discover acceptance up.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jn in ca
When they bought DC, Discover made a decision, maybe or maybe not correct, to only take over the network, and not get into the DC card issuance.
Discover did not have the option to issue Diners Club cards in established markets. The franchise model was established even before Citi acquired Diners in the early 1980's. This was obscured by the fact that Citi was both the network operator/franchisor -and- the franchisee in many markets, but Discover cannot (for example) issue Diners Club cards in Canada or the USA unless they buy back the franchise from BMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.