Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Merchant sercurity breach results in new, short-term DC - and lousy customer service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merchant sercurity breach results in new, short-term DC - and lousy customer service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Plenty

I just got a new DC (with a new number) in the mail with the explanation that a merchant security breach may have compromised my account.

In less than charming ways I was advised to activate the card asap otherwise my account would be closed. If this is such an urgent issue why did DC did not call?

On top, the expiration date was set 17 months out. After having just dealt with a 12-month cycle I am in no mood to yet again change all my profiles for a short-ish period. What is so difficult to issue a new card with a 3-year expiration date?

Interesting: Last time I was affirmatively told: Only 12 month renewals in case of off-cycle issuances. Period. Now I am being told: 17-month duration and no way to change the expiration date. And that was sold as a favor to me since my account is "seriously compromised". Really? Should DC not have canceled my current card then?

And you would think DC would like to retain a high spend, no risk customer. Apparently not. I'll simply walk away and use my AmEx plus Chase MP Visa cards.

Last edited by travelcomments; Aug 11, 2008 at 4:55 pm
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: Diners Club, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Fairmont, Mandarin Oriental, Le Meridien, National
I have had my DC account "compromised" three times in about five years. Diners has called me each time and notified me. The first two times, it issued me new cards with a new account number.

The third time, I refused to be given a new number because I didn't want to go through the hassle of changing all of my online accounts (PayPal, bill pay, etc.).

After some back and forth, Diners agreed and sent me some affadavit to fill out. That was the end of it.

Citi has a different approach to Diners Club now. Very little personalized service and unique benefits. Now it is just one of many cards in its generic portfolio.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Plenty
The change from the DC of old to Citi is really noticeable. Customer service has become more along the lines "get lost if you don't like what we gave you".

There seems to be a fundamental lack of comprehension that DC customers are on average a bit different than your typical Citi entry level credit card customer.

Considering that this situation was purely externally caused, and that Citi makes no effort to adjust any decision as minor as changing an expiration date, there is no point anymore in retaining this credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.