Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone used UK DC chip and pin?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Has anyone used UK DC chip and pin?

So, my three year old DC card due to expire and new one arrived this morning. This new one has a chip (the old one didn't) so I thought great, no more funny looks at Sainsbury's when trying to use a card without chip and pin.

Unfortunately, when I try to use it in a chip and pin machine it just says 'card error'.

I appreciate it won't be many people but do any UK DC holders with a chip and pin card manage to use it anywhere, in a chip and pin machine?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Use it all the time in Europe.
It is the one reliable CHIP and PIN card issued in the US that I have.
Barclaycard Arrival is a bloody nightmare.
Diners is great ... worked at petrol stations, restaurants, supermarkets.
Exchange rate is lousy. But pretty much universal usage is a huge advantage.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 5:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
It is the one reliable CHIP and PIN card issued in the US that I have.
neilyork is asking about the Diners Club card issued in the UK, which has just been converted from swipe to Chip & PIN. It appears you are writing about the USA-issued Diners Club MasterCard.

Last edited by mia; Apr 16, 2016 at 5:29 pm
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many machines did you try it in? I've had "card not read" issued more often for messed-up terminals than for any problem with my own card.

But assuming you get the same error message at several different retailers:

What is the issuing bank for Diners Club UK cards? Do they have a branch near where you'll be in the near future? If so, you might want to take the card to the branch and have them check it.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:39 am
mia

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What is the issuing bank for Diners Club UK cards?
No bank, no branches. Diners Club International in the UK and Ireland has been issued by Affiniture Cards Limited since August 2012.

http://www.citigroup.com/citi/news/2012/120808a.htm
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Many card machines in the UK don't support the Diners chip. After the first insert it'll let you swipe.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by neilyork
So, my three year old DC card due to expire and new one arrived this morning. This new one has a chip (the old one didn't) so I thought great, no more funny looks at Sainsbury's when trying to use a card without chip and pin.

Unfortunately, when I try to use it in a chip and pin machine it just says 'card error'.

I appreciate it won't be many people but do any UK DC holders with a chip and pin card manage to use it anywhere, in a chip and pin machine?
Sainsbury's doesn't accept D-PAS. My US Discover fails there as well. It should work at Pret-A-Manger and Tesco.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Great, thanks everyone.

I've tried it in Sainsburys and M&S so far - both had to swipe and sign when I got a 'card error' trying to use chip.

I'll give Tesco a whirl..

I really wanted to get more use out of DC so was excited when it arrived as a chip card.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by neilyork
Great, thanks everyone.

I've tried it in Sainsburys and M&S so far - both had to swipe and sign when I got a 'card error' trying to use chip.

I'll give Tesco a whirl..

I really wanted to get more use out of DC so was excited when it arrived as a chip card.
With chip cards, unlike magnetic stripe, there shouldn't be as much difference between Diner's and Discover, so the experience should mostly match Discover. The only places I've successfully used it are Tesco, Pret-a-Manger, and the Costa near Holloway Road tube station (but they aren't using the normal Costa POS system). Oh, and a pub... I don't remember which one. I also used it swiped at some bakery once.

Very, very poor acceptance overall.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:24 pm
mia

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Very, very poor acceptance overall.
Thank you for answering the question I had not gotten around to asking.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:21 pm

I think only some worldpay machines in the UK actually support the Discover/Diners chip. No other merchant provider seems to support it. The fact Tesco and Pret support it backs the theory up. iZettle also support it. Its like the Amex chip in the UK circa 2007.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:32 am

Really, Discover should introduce the Discover Card here. The basic formula (good rewards, obviously they wouldn't be as high as in the US, with excellent customer service and benefits, and no fees) would do very well here, I think.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:24 am

Really, Discover should introduce the Discover Card here. The basic formula (good rewards, obviously they wouldn't be as high as in the US, with excellent customer service and benefits, and no fees) would do very well here, I think.
I agree although the EU would probably class them as a 4 party scheme and the interchange fees would severely limit their product.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
I agree although the EU would probably class them as a 4 party scheme and the interchange fees would severely limit their product.
How? There are no Diner's Club cards not issued by Diner's in the UK... unlike Amex they'd be the one true issuer of only their own cards and immune from the regulations.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:42 am
mia

How? There are no Diner's Club cards not issued by Diner's in the UK...
Diners Club International does not issue cards. They operate the transaction network, and issue franchises to others who issue cards. The UK Diners Club cards are issued by Affiniture Cards Limited. This sounds quite similar to the way MasterCard works, except that Diners tends to issue exclusive franchises while MC do not. (Not sure about VISA because I believe VISA Europe is still owned by the card-issuing banks.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.