Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Harris Bank to start Diners credit bureau reporting Jan 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Harris Bank to start Diners credit bureau reporting Jan 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Legacy (Citi) Diners Club charge cards are still open, and I believe those are the cards that Harris Bank is beginning to report.

Other people do still have the newer Diners Premier and Elite credit cards. Not all accounts were closed.
I hold the newer DC Premier, and in my statement that closed on the 13th, it says that BMO Harris will begin reporting my card to the bureaus this month. They relate that they will report my activity back to when I opened the account in 2014. So far, there is nothing reported from them to either of the three bureaus. I will post when they do report.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
...DC Premier, and in my statement that closed on the 13th, it says that BMO Harris will begin reporting my card to the bureaus this month....
Thank you for the correction. It sounds as if they will report all Consumer (credit) and Professional (charge) cards.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
I hold the newer DC Premier, and in my statement that closed on the 13th, it says that BMO Harris will begin reporting my card to the bureaus this month. They relate that they will report my activity back to when I opened the account in 2014. So far, there is nothing reported from them to either of the three bureaus. I will post when they do report.
I have a legacy DC Professional, and my statement closed on the 6th, and it says they will report my "payment history" 24 months at the start, and then continue to report "monthly" after that.

There is no explanation of anything else they will report except payment related stuff.

Now, my (legacy) card which used to have no defined credit limit has had a defined credit limit for some time now. But was the at least 24 months ago? (The concern is that cards without a defined credit limit tend show goofily on credit reports in a way that leads to some misreading of them as "always maxed out".)

My other concern (again, just for legacy accounts) is whether they will backdate the "open" date of the card correctly to when you really first opened it (not just to when BMO took it over).
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:10 am
mia

Originally Posted by sdsearch
... My concern is how (legacy) charge cards with no defined credit limit
The legacy charge cards do have a limit. Look at a paper statement for the Spend Limit.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
The legacy charge cards do have a limit. Look at a paper statement for the Spend Limit.
I realized that and edited my post above while you replying. And in the process added a new question: Did that spend limit debut more than 24 months ago? (Ie, if they look back only 24 months, will it show my spend limit for all those months?) I can't remember when they switched to having a spend limit.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:51 pm
mia

... Did that spend limit debut more than 24 months ago? (Ie, if they look back only 24 months, will it show my spend limit for all those months?) I can't remember when they switched to having a spend limit.
We discussed this in 2010, but they were not using the term Spend Limit:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diner...dit-limit.html
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:55 pm
mia

My assistant has produced a letter from Harris Bank dated 28 November 2011:

...as of November 7, 2011, your Diners Charge Card Account will have a credit limit. The limit for your Account will be $20,000. After November 7, the outstanding balance on your Account may not exceed the authorized credit limit for the Account.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Today's the 19th. While it's still possible for them to report in January, it's now becoming more likely that they won't. Will they see any consequences if they don't? Will they have to notify everyone again when they have a new date?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
And as expected, they didn't report at all for January. At least for my card, anyway. I wonder when they're going to now.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
And as expected, they didn't report at all for January. At least for my card, anyway. I wonder when they're going to now.
Hopefully never
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Report to where???

I just learned in (an MC link in) this thread:
that the Diners Club "Professional" card is a MasterCard business card level.

Well, if Diners Club Professional is a business card, will they report to consumer credit agencies (EQ, EX, TU), or only to business credit agencies, like most other buinsess cards only do?

Has anyone been checking business credit agencies to see if their DC has started reporting, or have you only checked EQ/EX/TU? How does one even check business credit agencies as an individual?

What other business cards from any bank report to consumer credit agencies?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:05 pm
mia

What other business cards from any bank report to consumer credit agencies?
There are various threads on this topic in Credit Card Programs. Search Thread Titles Only with the keywords: report business to see a half dozen.

There are inconsistent reports, but banks which seem to report business cards on personal bureaus include Capital One, Discover and State Farm.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
After I left my former employer (over ten years ago), I kept the Diner's Club card. It has always been called "Professional," even though it hasn't been associated with a business since.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
After I left my former employer (over ten years ago), I kept the Diner's Club card. It has always been called "Professional," even though it hasn't been associated with a business since.
A business card is a type of card, not necessarily associated with a business.

For one thing, a business card by law doesn't offer the same consumer protections as a consumer card. (Though I think that may be new; I'm not sure if those consumer protections existed for any cards back when Citi last accepted applications for the Diners Club Professional card.)

You can apply for a business card successfully at many banks without actually having a business. Sure, the application form requires you to give a few pieces of information about your "business", but Citi and Amex among others are happy enough with your name as the business name, no employees (or 1 if you count yourself), no business history, no business income. You may want to be ready with an answer like "I'm starting up some consulting" or "I'm starting to sell stuff on eBay", but most people aren't asked for even that much at either Citi or Amex. (Amex, in particular, is a bank where lots of FTers are applying for business cards these days, since Amex made signup bonuses "once in a lifetime" on personal cards in the USA, but put no such restriction on business cards.)
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:12 pm
mia

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
It has always been called "Professional," even though it hasn't been associated with a business since.
Just as there is no requirement to have a business when applying for a Business credit card, I don't think Citi ever marketed the card as a Business product. When they migrated from the Diners Club International network to MasterCard they simply chose a card type which fit their internal requirements, and merged their small business and personal accounts into a single bucket.

Citi may have been interested in the personal and small business accounts when they bought Diners in the 1980's , but by the time they migrated to MasterCard (2005) they were focused on the Corporate accounts, and its very evident that this is also BMO's focus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.