Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Diners Club | Club Rewards
Reload this Page >

Diners (USA) CDW coverage exclusions and limitations.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diners (USA) CDW coverage exclusions and limitations.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Exclamation Diners (USA) CDW coverage exclusions and limitations.

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I'm understanding is:
The Premier card offers me EMV with an offline PIN (CVM1), airport lounge access free of charge (to a decent offering of lounges globally?), primary auto-rental coverage (meaning I can decline all the optional insurance offerings?) valid in ALL countries (that doesn't exclude Israel and Ireland like most cards do), all for just $95/year?

If so, that sounds like a great deal, even if the rewards don't match Amex MR)

Last edited by joshwex90; Oct 5, 2014 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
... primary auto-rental coverage (meaning I can decline all the optional insurance offerings?) valid in ALL countries (that doesn't exclude Israel and Ireland like most cards do), ...
Maybe.

https://www.dinersclubus.com/us/docs...ToBenefits.pdf

I think this provision means that coverage is secondary for residents of New York:

We will pay for the following on a primary (except for residents of New York) basis
I think this provision means that there is no coverage in certain countries, but they have elected not to name them:

Coverage is not available in countries where:
• This EOC is prohibited by that county’s laws; or
• The terms of the EOC are in conflict with the laws of that country
The $50,000 MSRP limitation may also be important. That's only about 40,000 Euros.

You can assess the lounge network by looking here:

http://www.dinersclublounges.com

I would say it is more comprehensive that Lounge Club, but less than Priority Pass.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Maybe.

I think this provision means that coverage is secondary for residents of New York:

I think this provision means that there is no coverage in certain countries, but they have elected not to name them:

The $50,000 MSRP limitation may also be important. That's only about 40,000 Euros.

You can assess the lounge network by looking here:

http://www.dinersclublounges.com

I would say it is more comprehensive that Lounge Club, but less than Priority Pass.
Luckily (for many reasons), I'm not a resident of NY

The lounge offering does seem decent. The greatest? No. But coupled with other potential lounge access options, it helps shore up decent offering.

What is the EOC?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:54 pm
mia

What is the EOC?
Evidence of Coverage, in other words the document linked in my previous reply.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Maybe.

Actually, it might not be available at all for NY residents. Otherwise they'd have put that it was secondary coverage there. Also, the countries that rental coverage is usually void in are Israel and a few other places, IIRC.

EDIT: Jamaica, Israel, The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:52 pm
mia

Originally Posted by tmiw
...might not be available at all for NY residents.
Perhaps, but the next paragraph begins:

When MasterRental is provided on a secondary basis and a covered loss has occurred the order in which benefits are determined is as follows:
I cannot see a circumstance in which it would become secondary, unless they are referring to New York residents, but it is certainly not clear.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
Actually, it might not be available at all for NY residents. Otherwise they'd have put that it was secondary coverage there. Also, the countries that rental coverage is usually void in are Israel and a few other places, IIRC.

EDIT: Jamaica, Israel, The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland
I know it's usually void in Israel. However, every single time that it's void there, the agreement specifically says so. Here, it doesn't say anything about Israel being excluded.

And there's precedent - a number of companies who had excluded Israel no longer do. For example, Chase used to exclude Israel and no longer does.

OT, but I have yet to see an explanation for why these countries are excluded. It's not like they're more dangerous than other countries from a road safety (quality of roads and/or quality of drivers) perspective, or any other safety/security perspective, such as terror or organized crime.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it's usually void in Israel. However, every single time that it's void there, the agreement specifically says so. Here, it doesn't say anything about Israel being excluded.

And there's precedent - a number of companies who had excluded Israel no longer do. For example, Chase used to exclude Israel and no longer does.

OT, but I have yet to see an explanation for why these countries are excluded. It's not like they're more dangerous than other countries from a road safety (quality of roads and/or quality of drivers) perspective, or any other safety/security perspective, such as terror or organized crime.
Maybe weirdness in insurance laws?

Note that in Israel even if you decline the CDW all agencies still require to buy liability insurance for damage to other property or people. But you’ll still save money by having a card that provides its own CDW coverage. Israeli car rental agencies are notorious for charging over and over again for the same scratch. Even if you buy the CDW from the car rental agency you’ll still have to pay for the scratch as they have a high deductible on their own CDW coverage. When you use your Chase card and decline the car rental agency’s CDW coverage you’ll have zero deductible. If you do not decline the car rental’s CDW coverage then your credit card will not cover your rental.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Israel has 2 rental insurance offerings: Compulsory Insurance and Comprehensive Insurance. The Compulsory, everyone must get, regardless of anything, and is included in the listed rental price.
The Comprehensive is basically like CDW (though in the US, aren't you give 2 options, not just CDW?). You can decline, regardless of what car insurance or credit card you have. They warn you heavily (based on marketing tactics, not legal tactics) that you will be responsible for everything, and they try to convince you that your credit card won't cover you (which, at least the agents in the airport, know by now to be not true).
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:45 pm

Some countries/areas probably don't need to be called out by name since other exclusions will often apply there to the Diner's CDW coverage.
What is NOT covered includes:

• Damage sustained on any surface, other than a bound surface such as concrete or tarmac.
• Damage sustained on any road not regularly maintained by a municipal, state, or federal entity
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Speaking of $50,000, would Silvercar rentals be covered? I'm not exactly sure how their cars are configured but the A4's MSRP without additional options seems to range from $35-45k. My concern is they configured their cars in such a way that the MSRP goes over $50k.

EDIT: emailed them and got a response. Definitely under the $50k limit. ^

Last edited by tmiw; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:10 am
Old May 13, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Executive Platinum
When I was in Costa Rica last summer [renting at the San Jose airport from a major car rental agency], they claimed that I had to also buy liability insurance through the rental company--that the credit card insurance was not enough, even if primary. I had actually printed out all of the coverage documents [10+ pages, I think] because I anticipated some issues. This insurance was NOT quoted as part of the rental.

Also, they said that if I wanted to rely on my CC insurance for CDW, they would charge my credit card for any damage when I returned the car, and I'd have to work out reimbursement with my CC company later. It could be up to the cost of the car if the car was stolen.

Because I was only renting to drive to the hotel and back, I decided I did not want to try to fight the issue nor did I want to take the risk, and I ended up taking a taxi.

I did a little research later, and as far as I could tell, extra liability insurance IS required in Costa Rica. With my VERY cheap rental, it would have doubled the cost of the rental.

If anyone else has different information, I would love to know so that I am better prepared next time.

Last edited by hockeydiva; May 14, 2015 at 10:23 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:10 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
In what countries is Diners' Rental Car Insurance not Valid?

I don't have all the paperwork I received with my card, so thought I'd ask here... what countries is Diners' primary coverage not valid in?

Thanks,
Greg
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GregL
I don't have all the paperwork I received with my card, so thought I'd ask here... what countries is Diners' primary coverage not valid in?
Just to make sure, you are asking about the Premier card? (The coverage plan, and thus coverage T&Cs for the Professional card are completely different.)

There is unfortunately no one such thing as "Diners' primary coverage", even within the sphere of just US cardholders. Different cards have different coverage.

Did you look at the links in the posts above? Your question may already be answered up there.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 20, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Old Jul 20, 2015, 6:03 pm
mia

Moderator action

I appended GregL's question to this thread.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Just to make sure, you are asking about the Premier card?
The Professional charge card CDW documentation is online:

https://www.dinersclubus.com/us/docs...-insurance.pdf

In general, coverage applies worldwide, but there are exceptions:
• You may be unable to receive benefits in Australia, Italy
and New Zealand. Please contact your vehicle rental agency
before you travel.
• Coverage is not available where prohibited by law

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.