Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PIN required to use card at Sam's Club

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
PIN required to use card at Sam's Club

I used my DC card at Sam's Club and a message was displayed that I couldn't use the magnetic stripe - insert in bottom.

The cashier had never seen that and knew nothing.

I had to lift up the terminal to see the slot and insert the card. It then displayed a screen for the PIN.

No way around that forcing me to find the PIN and memorize it.

Sign of things to come?
Old May 21, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4M
love this..

Originally Posted by puddinhead
I used my DC card at Sam's Club and a message was displayed that I couldn't use the magnetic stripe - insert in bottom.

The cashier had never seen that and knew nothing.

I had to lift up the terminal to see the slot and insert the card. It then displayed a screen for the PIN.

No way around that forcing me to find the PIN and memorize it.

Sign of things to come?
I view it as progressive.. Much easier in Europe to charge and not make anyone worried about unauthorized charges.. To be fair, DC has had the PIN for years now.. but new terminals like SAMS might be processing via the chip and pin vs. swipe. (think target issue)

Call them - they will tell you how to change the pin, or mail you the pin in the mail..
Old May 22, 2014, 7:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AlwaysAA
... they will tell you how to change the pin, or mail you the pin in the mail..
To my knowledge the PIN cannot be changed, at least while in the USA, because data stored in the Chip must be rewritten. In countries where Chip & PIN is standard this can be done at most any ATM machine, but in the USA there would be few, if any, ATM's equipped to write to the Chip.

Extensive discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...signature.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...action-us.html
Old May 22, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by puddinhead
Sign of things to come?
Yes, in fact Wal-Mart has it enabled at many (most?) of its US stores already, so you'll run into the same thing right now (or in coming weeks there).

(And Sam's Club is a division of Wal-Mart, so no big surprise there that Sam's Club would be the other national retailer to be among the early ones to enable EMV at their terminals.)

And EMV chip support is supposed to widely enabled across the USA by the end of the next year. The last to be enabled (past 2015 even) will likely be gas stations.

I say "enabled" because many retailers already have terminals that are EMV capable (ie, they have a slot in front for the customer to insert the card chip-end-first), but outside of Wal-Mart (and its subsidiaries), it's very rare as of today to find the EMV function on those terminals enabled. (The terminals have that function disabled "out of the box", further action by the retailer, including training of the checkout clerks, is required to enable the EMV function.)

The threads linked above have much more detail on that, but that's the basic summary.
Old May 22, 2014, 5:07 pm

In Australia the use of PINs becomes mandatory this year for all cards, including Diners Club. One can change one's PIN online using the Diners Club website.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcba
In Australia the use of PINs becomes mandatory this year for all cards, including Diners Club. One can change one's PIN online using the Diners Club website.
But are you sure that the Australian version of Diners Club uses "offline" PIN, the way the USA version does? "Online' PINs can be changed online (though the meaning "online" does not refer to where the PINs can be changed but rather to the verification method at purchase time), but "offline" PINs cannot.

(At least in the USA, EMV cards with "online" PINs are way more common than EMV cards with "offline" PINs. Diners Club is almost the only card issued in the USA that has an "offline" PIN.)

The benefit of "offline" PIN cards is mainly that they work in unattended kiosks in France (and maybe a few other countries), which often require "offline" PIN (because they're not "connected" for wired authorizations).
Old May 23, 2014, 6:51 pm

Australian DC cards presumably use what you call online PINs. When I first received my current physical card it had no PIN that I was aware of. I subsequently requested a PIN. A PIN was mailed to me and I then changed the PIN number online. This feature is part of the MyDinersClub cardmember account center provided by Diners Club International to franchisees.
Old May 26, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Member

Last two times I've tried to use my Diner's Club card at Sam's, same thing has happened. As far as I know, I have no pin # for this card. The solution is that the cashier has to swipe my card on their screen and then it works from the magnetic strip.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:52 pm
mia

Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
...I have no pin # for this card....
If your card has the visible silver chip depicted on the Diners Club US website...

...you were sent a PIN around the same time that it replaced the card without the chip. I believe customer service can send it to you again through postal mail.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Silver
Prompted for PIN Number at WalMart Market

As readers may be aware, WalMart has opened smaller stores in big cities to carry food items.

When I checked out today, I used the Diners Card and was prompted for my PIN Number to complete the transaction. This is the very first time I have been prompted to enter my PIN in the USA. It worked beautifully.

As holders of the Diners Card, we are very fortunate to have one of the very few working CHIP and PIN cards in the USA. I look forward to the day when at restaurants, they bring the device to enter the totals to the table to complete the transaction. In Canada they bring the wireless device to your table and the transaction is all handled on the spot. I have seen the future and it is good.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:01 pm

Me too at Walmart in Norcal

Originally Posted by chicagolooper
As readers may be aware, WalMart has opened smaller stores in big cities to carry food items.

When I checked out today, I used the Diners Card and was prompted for my PIN Number to complete the transaction. This is the very first time I have been prompted to enter my PIN in the USA. It worked beautifully.

As holders of the Diners Card, we are very fortunate to have one of the very few working CHIP and PIN cards in the USA. I look forward to the day when at restaurants, they bring the device to enter the totals to the table to complete the transaction. In Canada they bring the wireless device to your table and the transaction is all handled on the spot. I have seen the future and it is good.
I too had success with the Chip and PIN feature of my Diners Club today. This my first time trying. I didn't even try to swipe the mag stripe, I proceeded to dip the card. My prior experience with an EMV Chip and signature FIA Amex card failed at the same store about a month ago.

Last edited by askmrlee; Oct 4, 2014 at 7:44 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by askmrlee
I too had success with the Chip and PIN feature of my Diners Club today. This my first time trying. I didn't even try to swipe the mag stripe, I proceeded to dip the card. My prior experience with an EMV Chip and signature FIA Amex card failed at the same store about a month ago.
I had forgotten this was true chip and pin. I paid for diner in a restaurant in San Juan, PR last night. The waitress came back to the table and asked me to follow her....it was to enter my pin. Used 2 more times and each required pin
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nccarguy
I had forgotten this was true chip and pin. I paid for diner in a restaurant in San Juan, PR last night. The waitress came back to the table and asked me to follow her....it was to enter my pin. Used 2 more times and each required pin
It's nice that restaurants are actually taking chip now but it's unfortunate that they're not adopting the handheld terminals like they have in Europe. More proof that chip and PIN is actually going to be more difficult to use in the US than chip and signature
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by nccarguy
Originally Posted by chicagolooper
I have seen the future and it is good.
Yup, looks real good to me. Personally the wireless terminals are likely good for the restaurant, since it encourages larger or at least average tips (middle button).
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:20 am
mia

Moderator action

Discussion of the process of changing a PIN has been exported:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diner...lub-cards.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.