Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta Expiration Extension - 1 free mile posted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, PC Spire, Amex Reserve, Hilton Gold

I always try to participate in as many Delta promo's as possible, sometimes get a rock and sometimes not. I do not recall this promo which posted today, 5/28/09 and was dated 4/29/09. Called, "expired mileage promotion" it posted 1 mile to my account.

Anyone else receive this gem?
Old May 28, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Expiration Extension

My wife and I both had the one mile bonus show up in our accounts today. No idea what it is:
29 Apr 2009 Expiration Extension (posted on 28May2009) 1 0 1

We were not anywhere close to having our miles expire. We had some miles post in mid-April for some partner activities related to the Pile on the Miles promotion. Our daughter, who had a points.com mile post at the same time as our partner miles , did not receive this "expiration extension".

Anyone else?
Old May 29, 2009, 3:07 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by bob12403
My wife and I both had the one mile bonus show up in our accounts today. No idea what it is:

We were not anywhere close to having our miles expire. We had some miles post in mid-April for some partner activities related to the Pile on the Miles promotion. Our daughter, who had a points.com mile post at the same time as our partner miles , did not receive this "expiration extension".

Anyone else?
7 of the 13 accounts I manage got the same Expiratation Extension

None of the accounts had miles expiring any time soon.

May be a system glitch? They were trying to help those whose miles were really expiring end April, and Delta decided to give them a free activity and an extension but ended up crediting other accounts by mistake?? I wonder if it will count as a qualifying activity for the Pile on Miles promotion
Old May 29, 2009, 4:14 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
I wonder if it will count as a qualifying activity for the Pile on Miles promotion
Spoken like a true SkyMiles junkie

I would not count on it if I were just below one of the thresholds for the POM promo. If it is a glitch it might be "fixed" by the time DL counts up all the partners. The only activity on the list of qualifiers that comes from Delta itself is Delta Buy Miles.

FYI, if anyone is doing a tally, I did not get the 1-point expiration posting to my account yesterday.

For those that got the 1-mile posting: Did you have any recent activity to your NW WP account? Did you even HAVE a NW WP account? I can't help but wonder if this might be a way to sync-up the expiration dates on both accounts. It's just a theory. I base this on nothing substantial. I don't even know what the NW expiration policy is. I'm just trying to find something common to those how received the 1 mile:

U.S. vs. foreign home address?
Linked WP account or no linked WP account?
Flight activity within the last X months or no flight activity?
Transfer of miles from WP > SM or SM > WP recently?
Old May 29, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
I received 1 mile today 5/29 as of 4/29 for "experation extension" My miles expire 5/31/11...not sure what it said before
Old May 29, 2009, 7:23 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
The SkyMiles rules state, "Accounts with no activity for 12 consecutive months after enrollment will be deleted."

Yet after this mile was posted (I got it, too ... who hoo!) the expiration date is now 2 years out. I suspect this was an intentional change either as a one time accommodation to ease the transition to the new (although months old) rule, or in anticipation of a change to the general rule.

However, that it was not given to everyone.....?
Old May 29, 2009, 7:24 am

Mine showed up today, 5/29

29 Apr 2009 Expiration Extension (posted on 29May2009) 1 0 1

My expiration date did not change which makes sense because I have had 30+ entries on my account since April 29.

Perhaps Delta is restarting the clock on everyone's expiration as some goodwill gesture for the new program that combines WP and SM? I have seen nothing (yet) like this on my WP account. With an estimated 74 million members after the merger is complete that adds up to a lot of miles even if it is only one per account.
Old May 29, 2009, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
However, that it was not given to everyone.....?
... not given to everyone.....YET

Too bad it couldn't include 1 MQM as well. Maybe this would cut down the inevitable dozen-or-so threads that will be started in December titled "HELP, I have XX,999 MQMs and I need one more to reach <insert level> Medallion!!!"

Old May 29, 2009, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Evan!
For those that got the 1-mile posting: Did you have any recent activity to your NW WP account? Did you even HAVE a NW WP account? I can't help but wonder if this might be a way to sync-up the expiration dates on both accounts. It's just a theory.

U.S. vs. foreign home address?
Linked WP account or no linked WP account?
Flight activity within the last X months or no flight activity?
Transfer of miles from WP > SM or SM > WP recently?
That's an interesting hypothesis.

US address
last WP posting 5/2008
linked accounts
no transfer of miles

Giving me 1 SkyMile effective April 29 (it showed up 5/29) would sync DL expiration to the WP date - at least within a month. But I have lots of DL postings so it appears to have no effect for me.
Old May 29, 2009, 8:52 am

I received 1 mile also.

Last year my only delta postings are two 500 mile postings for emiles.
Old May 29, 2009, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's an interesting hypothesis.

US address
last WP posting 5/2008
linked accounts
no transfer of miles

Giving me 1 SkyMile effective April 29 (it showed up 5/29) would sync DL expiration to the WP date - at least within a month. But I have lots of DL postings so it appears to have no effect for me.
Almost identical for me. My last WP posting was on 6/4 for WP Visa purchases.

IIRC, NW miles have no official expiration (correct me if I am wrong). Perhaps this is DL's way of preemptively starting the clock over so that when WP miles are brought over the WP members have, at minimum, an entry in mid-2009. (not sure what the logic would be but, hey, the reason could be so simple as to miss detetion ) I suspect WP members will not be happy in that they now have to think about expiration. However I hope they are happy to have a MM program that offers FO status.

One more note, I have exactly ZERO EQMs on NW. Could that be the common link? I have to assume Live4Miles has zero MQMs based on post #10. 3Cforme, do you have EQMs as well as MQMs?
Old May 29, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
I received it as well. I had WP travel activity posted to my WP account 10/2008. I also transferred 18,000+ miles from WP to SM. I also linked my WP/SM accounts the first day it was posted on FT. I think it may have been to avoid all the problems of miles expiring due to transferred mileage between WP/SM.

29 Apr 2009 Expiration Extension (posted on 29May2009) 1 0 1
Old May 29, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Got my 1 mile here as others have described. Have had nearly 100 activities (flights + partners) so far this year on DL. Have had at least 1 activity a month with NW (checkcard miles) plus a few dines, etc. Linked my accounts way back when you first could and did do a small transfer just to see if it worked.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Evan!
One more note, I have exactly ZERO EQMs on NW. Could that be the common link? I have to assume Live4Miles has zero MQMs based on post #10. 3Cforme, do you have EQMs as well as MQMs?
Zero EQM, zero EQS credited to NW this program year. Everything has been credited to DL.
Old May 29, 2009, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Zero EQM, zero EQS credited to NW this program year. Everything has been credited to DL.
On NW I have earned many miles.. 75keqm and well over 120k regular miles.

On Delta I have only earned 500 miles from emiles.com...500 last year and 500 this year AND the 500 bonus miles for linking my accounts.

So this year I have earned a total of 1001 miles on delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.