Wiki Posts
Search

RealDLInsider – Wow!

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 1:07 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

RealDLInsider – Wow!

Hope everyone out there is doing well! “Wow” has become the word of the year for me, as so many things are happening now in the airline industry that the ability to even absorb it all is challenging. Here are some of my wows over the last two months:

Wow – David Cook won American Idol and not Archuleta. I'm sort of glad however, since I think Archuleta's dad might be a little over the top. Also, I actually liked the final episodes of CSI an Desperate Housewives - but sort of missed the Season of 24!

Wow - Thanks to customers like you all and those loyal Delta flyers who feel that we are making a difference here in the SkyMiles Program, we won our first Freddie Award since 1994 and came in the top tier of programs in almost 10 different categories. In fact, Northwest and Continental were the only other major legacy airlines to even be nominated in the Top 5 of any category. It was truly a thrill to see that our customers have recognized some of the things that we are doing.

Wow – Fuel prices are soaring and the economic and financial model of the airline industry is yet again in turmoil. Stock prices are down more than 60%, United is selling for under $10 after hovering over $40 for many months, and American is announcing significant capacity reductions along with other majors.

Wow – This Northwest and Delta merger feels more and more likely to happen and folks on both sides are seeing that it could become a reality. To be one of the biggest airlines in the world and #1 in the U.S., to have by far the largest loyalty program in the world, have a network presence in Europe, South America, the U.S., Africa and Asia, and to be able to bring the best of both airlines together into one best-in-class product and service, is something that makes today’s challenges small in compared to what could be!

Wow – a new $25 second baggage charge fee, fee increases in various areas, and then American Airlines comes up with a charge for the first bag – is shocking to even most employees who wouldn’t have predicted it less than a year ago.

Wow – the amount of work necessary and facing my friends at Northwest and our team - to integrate these two airlines. Everywhere we look the workload is amazing, the headcount bases are smaller, and it just keeps piling on. Wow is really an understatement when we look at somehow integrating two loyalty programs into one.

Speaking of loyalty program integration, I wanted to share a couple thoughts as openly and honestly as I can:

My counterpart at Northwest, Bob Soukup and I, are just kicking off the process of working together to determine how we will transition two programs that are very similar in many ways, to one best-in-class program. I mention best-in-class, because it’s our goal to build a loyalty program that truly sets a benchmark for loyalty programs in our industry (and that is intending to be in a positive way – don’t be pessimistic!). Whether that is taking the best of both programs, leaning more on one than the other, or creating a brand new “fresh” program is still to be determined. Either way, customer miles are safe in both programs, partnership activity, credit card earning and all of the other ways to earn and burn miles will continue, and there will be a bigger and better loyalty program when all is done. More to come on all of this, but we intend to build a best-in-class program that strikes the exact balance between customer benefit and financial costs that we need for our customers and the company. Bob and his team are great, the integration discussions have begun, and I see a team of folks committed on both sides to making that happen.

All in all, it’s crazy times here, and I apologize in advance if I’m somewhat in and out for the next few months. Bob, our teams and I,will continue to share the latest as we can around our progress, and we’ll keep you all updated fairly frequently. Also, don’t be surprised if we ask a crazy question or two to make sure we are headed in the right direction.

In the meantime, be safe, and have a great holiday weekend!

Jeff
Old May 23, 2008, 1:13 pm

Wow - you're back!
Old May 23, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Angeleno228
Wow - you're back!
Dope! You beat me to it!
Old May 23, 2008, 1:18 pm

One thing is, if you're trying to combine the best of both worlds (DL and NW), please adopt NWA's Award Search engine... Much better!
Old May 23, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Wow - Could you answer some of our concerns?
Old May 23, 2008, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Wow, I already re-qualified my status match to LH SEN and might make HON next year

Wow, I did over 4,000 BA TPs again in my membership year

Wow, I have one SM flight this year...on CO ^
Old May 23, 2008, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by skchin
Wow - Could you answer some of our concerns?
Wow! What do you think this is, an actual dialogue as opposed to Delta happy talk/PR?

Last edited by cynicalflyer; May 23, 2008 at 1:58 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 23, 2008, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Old May 23, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Prisoner #347921
Wow - This thread sure is going to provide some interesting reading over the Holiday weekend....
Old May 23, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Can someone in DL find out who this RealDLInsider is (if s/he actually works for DL) and have him/her fired?
Old May 23, 2008, 1:41 pm

Wow! The Friday Afternoon before a 3 day weekend?

Anybody think the timing was by accident?

Neither do I.
Old May 23, 2008, 1:52 pm

In and Out? Or Ducking, Dodging and Avoiding Questions?

Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
All in all, it’s crazy times here, and I apologize in advance if I’m somewhat in and out for the next few months.
As I statistically demonstrated in this thread, Jeff's "in and out" posting is directly correlated to the level of questioning of his postings.

When he first started posting (January 21, 2007) and very few people questioned him or his PR/marketing posts, he was more inclined to post. From January 21, 2007 to May 31, 2007 he made 11 posts over the course of those 4+ months (2.75 posts a month)

After his June 1, 2007 posting and when more and more questions (which he dodged and declined to answer) were posed, his posting level abrupted drooped. From June 1, 2007 to December 31, 2007, he posted only 9 times in those 7 months (1.28 per month). This was especially prononuced in fall 2007.

In 2008, with more questions about the devaluation of SkyMiles, this has become even more obvious. In the first 5 months of the year, he has only posted 3 times (0.6 per month), this being the third. Compare this against the 11 in the same time frame of 2007.

Just bear this in mind when you read how he is going to only be "in and out" of posting. This is not a dialogue or discussion as he promised in his first posting and in other postings he made. This is a one sided Public Relations spin cycle (with cutesy references to American Idol and CSI to boot).
Old May 23, 2008, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by cynicalflyer
I have asked whether his PR and marketing messages violate the TOS.

My post was deleted and I was told that the proper way to note a TOS violation or request a moderator take action against a poster was not on the public boards but by private email or hitting the "Report Bad Post" button.
Mine was more of a rhetorical/sarcastic question. I think that the powers that be wouldn't dare question the hand that helps feed them. No, we are stuck with his marketing, um, messages.
Just another insult to the business traveller that they allegedly covet.
Old May 23, 2008, 2:11 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
Delta should be like Boeing and take lots of suggestions on how to make the program better, maybe we should try and suggest what we think will make the ultimate FF program (besides giving me FC the rest of my life on all major airlines than worry about marketing for Delta.

I wrote in to Boeing on the 777 and 787 and actually talked to 3 lead engineers for about 4 hours in Singapore on what I liked and didnt like about Boeing planes. They were very interested in what the FF had to say.

Stay positive, think positive.
You catch more flys with honey, than you do with vinegar.
Old May 23, 2008, 2:23 pm

Is there anything in the post that isn't already known?

One of the points of having Lurkers/Insiders is to be able to get information or help. This latest PR/marketing post does not even do that. A paragraph by paragraph review:

P. 1 Wow is the word of the year. Semantic fluff.
P. 2 American Idol, CSI, 24, and Desperate Housewives references. Rhetorical fluff.
P. 3 Freddie Award win. We knew Delta won. Fluff.
P. 4 Fuel prices = bad for airlines & their stocks. We can read the economy/business section of our local paper or better still the FT boards. More fluff.
P. 5 NW & Delta merger on course. Even more fluff. Well covered and documented in the news (general, industry specific, and here on the FT boards).
P. 6 Bag fees, AA's plan for first-bag fee, employees shocked. You guessed it: fluffy and already known.
P. 7 Airline mergers are tough. Duh, and boo hoo for you. Image how us fliers feel, knowing you've already devaluted our SkyMiles in 2007 and that 2008 with out without merger will drive them further into the ground. Cotton candy like fluff.
P. 8 Sharing thoughts "as openly and honestly as I can": As opposed to your prior statements which were, what exactly? Closed, narrow, absurd fluff?
P. 9 NW and DL are working hard to merge their mileage programs. See P. 7 above. Boo. Freaking. Hoo. And no one who doesn't have a flatline EEG believes you are "taking the best of both programs." The prospect of "creating a brand new “fresh” program" would also look like the "fresh" start you gave SkyMiles last year by doing away with the miles-good-forever-until-used and similar policies. You've done a smash up job making SkyMiles "fresh". Cannot wait to see the "freshness" of what unspeakable horrors you will unleash on the NW plan. Perhaps a faint hint of substance underneath all the fluff, but it is a "substance" (think Happy Fun Ball) no one will be happy about or want anything to do with.
P. 10 Things are crazy and oh yeah I may not post much (BECAUSE PEOPLE SAY MEAN THINGS ABOUT ME AND ASK ME QUESTIONS I DO NOT WANT TO ANSWER). But rest assured we (DL and now NW) will continue to use you (and I do mean use you) as an unpaid focus group with some "crazy" questions (the answers to which we will ignore while giving the appearance we care by asking in the first place). Fluffy fluff fluff fluff.

Last edited by cynicalflyer; May 23, 2008 at 3:03 pm Reason: typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.