Wiki Posts
Search

RealDLInsider -- I'm Still Here!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:55 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

RealDLInsider -- I'm Still Here!

Sorry for the lengthy time between my latest postings, but as you can imagine, we’ve been working on just a few things. I know some of you are heading out to CVG over this weekend for a small gathering at our Crown Room Club, and I hope those of you attending enjoy the event. As promised, I’m off to Paris this weekend and will be out of pocket the next week or so. I’ll still keep in tune to what’s going on in the U.S. and with Delta via Flyertalk!

A couple things I wanted to share since my last post that I’ve seen pop-up here and there:

RES Hold Times

Our RES organization is VERY aware of some of the longer hold times that some of you are experiencing, and are working diligently to fix this. Not only is it a customer service issue, but it also drives people who are interested in buying tickets on us elsewhere (and that is never a good thing). The RES organization is experienced and committed to reducing hold times and improving service levels. I expect you’ll see some improvements in the very short-term and potentially even our Vice President of RES to say a few words to address this issue with you all.

Alliances with Partner Airlines

I think a few flyer-talkers over the last couple weeks have mentioned that there is potentially an intentional effort on our part to reduce the number of airline partners in our SkyMiles Program. This is not true. As you can imagine, striking relationships with each of our airline partners requires intense negotiations, a sharing of costs, and a multitude of other factors, including relationships within SkyTeam, lounge access, program rules, award levels, and similar. Having airline partnerships provides value to our customers, to the SkyMiles Program, and thus to Delta.

With respect to our airline partners, there is one effort that we are undertaking which benefits our customers and our cost structure, and that is equal access to one another’s award seats and through more convenient online channels. Specifically, we want all of our airline partners to move to and begin allowing our customers access to award seats directly through delta.com, rather than having to contact a RES agent, wait on hold for an extended period, and then waste 1 hour+ of our customer’s and agent’s time to either find or potentially not find an award seat. For example, in a recent visit to our SLC call center, we experienced some award requests that were 90 minutes or more to book. In addition to this, there are many issues that we need to resolve around required award levels and the surcharges and fees airlines charge to each other and to our customers that make the technology and RES handling times even more complex. Bottom line, our strategy is to retain every single airline partner and to continue to grow these partnerships, as long as the partner airline agrees with this strategy and keeps things relatively simple. Assuming some want to deteriorate the service levels we offer to our customers, have a multitude of ridiculous route exceptions, nickel and dime us with fees, or treat our award customers like “second class” customers, we will cut a partnership.

Award Seats

This may sound harsh, but my goodness, stop the threads about award seat availability. In the spirit of being direct, which I generally am, it’s getting boring. If there is a Frequent Flyer Program leader that is not aware of this issue, or believes award seat availability is okay the way it is, they must be out to lunch permanently. I’d also love to tell a couple reporters out there, although sometimes difficult, that doing a comparison of award seats on one airline versus another in select routes – does not provide you any idea if one airline’s award seat availability is better than another. As a past researcher, you cannot compare award seat availability in JFK-LAX between one airline and another and say whomever has more award seats overall has better availability. One reporter recently used JFK-LAX for example, and stated that AA, UA and CO had better availability – not mentioning that they also have two to three times the overall capacity compared to DL or NW. Similarly, if you look at ATL-LGA, DL had far more award seats available than AA (because we have 4x the number of flights). I assume the same is true for AA if you were to look at DFW-LGA. I also find some of the reporters like to think that looking at three or four markets gives you the overall picture of award availability. At what point do we ever consider asking three or four people about their opinions, and assume that is what the majority of people think.

The reality is that every FF program head is working to help ensure our best customers get award seats or that they will have alternatives. Although much of what we are doing is confidential and cannot be discussed publicly, you can bet each airline has a strategy that will rollout over time. I can guarantee you that Delta has a plan! It just won’t rollout tomorrow, but it also won’t look the same in 10 more!

New Service

We want it! Atlanta to Shanghai! Hopefully you all agree. LHR hear we come!

Yes – my fingers are crossed!

Til later all – have a great couple weeks!

Jeff
Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Thanks for the update, Jeff! Look forward to hearing more soon. ^
Old Jun 1, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
Smile Thanks Jeff

Many thanks Jeff.......................

We always look forward to hearing from you.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Well Jeff, if it makes you feel any better, I've been fairly pleased with the amount of award availability over the past three years. I've had no problem burning over 600,000 Skymiles on tickets to Europe and all over the US. People need to be fair. While we may never see the availability that hotel programs have, being generally frustrated because you can't find a coach ticket to paris in summer is unrealistic. I'm actually hoping for lack of award availability for the next few months so I can build that balance back up

Have fun in Paris!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
Award Seats

This may sound harsh, but my goodness, stop the threads about award seat availability.
Jeff, the threads might stop, or at least slow down, if you would issue a direct, honest explanation of what happened to SkySaver coach awards. A few weeks ago, they basically disappeared for general members. What is going on? Is this a permanent change or some glitch? Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wsflyer
Jeff, the threads might stop, or at least slow down, if you would issue a direct, honest explanation of what happened to SkySaver coach awards. A few weeks ago, they basically disappeared for general members. What is going on? Is this a permanent change or some glitch? Thanks.
No matter what Jeff says people are still going to post those threads and probably not believe what he says.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by majorwibi
No matter what Jeff says people are still going to post those threads and probably not believe what he says.
While we should all be appreciative of Jeff's involvement and participation on FlyerTalk, I think we would be doing him and the company he represents disservice if we sugar-coated problems that many long-time DL customers perceive to be present.

I have never met Jeff, but I am certain that he is strong enough as a business leader and executive to sort through various issues that are raised for himself. It would be a huge mistake to only tell him what we think he wants to hear!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, AA, DL
[QUOTE=RealDLInsider;7833562]The reality is that every FF program head is working to help ensure our best customers get award seats or that they will have alternatives.

With all due respect, Jeff, apparently general SkyMiles members aren't among your "best customers" because for some reason the availability of skysavers seats for us plummeted a couple of weeks ago and there is no sign that we will likely see, for the most part, anything but SkyChoice availability from now on throughout the schedule.

Our business and personal travel needs may not get us to an annual mileage that qualifies for medallion status, but many of us (especially here in Atlanta) has been loyal Delta customers and SkyMiles members for many years. Is our continuing business just not in the post-bankruptcy business plan?
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Glad to hear the reservations issues have become a priority issue to resolve.

And, as usual, some very interesting information communicated in passing. ^^

Thanks, as usual.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Appreciate the update, Jeff.
Enjoy your time at the French Open
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RobertS975
While we should all be appreciative of Jeff's involvement and participation on FlyerTalk, I think we would be doing him and the company he represents disservice if we sugar-coated problems that many long-time DL customers perceive to be present.
Very well-said. Persons in such roles would benefit with an issue coming to the front sooner than later, and FT "complaints" are a quick-to-open window into things that could be fixed.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
Originally Posted by wsflyer
I concur.

Avoiding the issue only adds to the speculation that award inventory has been drastically reduced. If this is not the case, say so. At least you will be on record as a reference point.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
Award Seats

This may sound harsh, but my goodness, stop the threads about award seat availability. In the spirit of being direct, which I generally am, it’s getting boring. If there is a Frequent Flyer Program leader that is not aware of this issue, or believes award seat availability is okay the way it is, they must be out to lunch permanently. I’d also love to tell a couple reporters out there, although sometimes difficult, that doing a comparison of award seats on one airline versus another in select routes – does not provide you any idea if one airline’s award seat availability is better than another. As a past researcher, you cannot compare award seat availability in JFK-LAX between one airline and another and say whomever has more award seats overall has better availability. One reporter recently used JFK-LAX for example, and stated that AA, UA and CO had better availability – not mentioning that they also have two to three times the overall capacity compared to DL or NW. Similarly, if you look at ATL-LGA, DL had far more award seats available than AA (because we have 4x the number of flights). I assume the same is true for AA if you were to look at DFW-LGA. I also find some of the reporters like to think that looking at three or four markets gives you the overall picture of award availability. At what point do we ever consider asking three or four people about their opinions, and assume that is what the majority of people think.

The reality is that every FF program head is working to help ensure our best customers get award seats or that they will have alternatives. Although much of what we are doing is confidential and cannot be discussed publicly, you can bet each airline has a strategy that will rollout over time. I can guarantee you that Delta has a plan! It just won’t rollout tomorrow, but it also won’t look the same in 10 more!
Jeff, sorry if you feel the threads about award seat availability are getting boring. Since you seem to appreciate a direct approach, how about this.....A good number of us are extremely tired of posting about DL's lack of SkySaver award seats. We've been posting about this for a couple of years now and nothing seems to have changed. Actually, as many have pointed out, the lack of SkySaver coach seats has gotten noticeably worse in the last few weeks. In fact, things are so bad at the moment that there do not seem to be ANY SkySaver coach seats on most any DL route out past a couple of weeks. (At least that is what the on-line calendar function shows.) So while it is nice to hear that DL has a plan, most of us would appreciate seeing some results.

Perhaps when you return from your trip you can let us know why SkySavers have seemingly disappeared. Thanks for listening. Look forward to your response.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Jeff responded well to the issue of reservation hold times, a recent thread that focused clearly on this one specific issue that requires resolution. I take him for his word that Delta is all over this issue and that shorter wait times are part of the plan. I can't say whether this is solely an FT initiated issue/solution but I like the connection and timing of his response.

As for the alliances, I also think that Jeff clearly pointed the difficulties with the process and stated the intended long-range goal. His observations of how long it takes to currently book some award travel makes it clear that Delta sees this resolution as also helping limit on-phone hold times noted above.

As for his response to award availability, his references when dealing with reporters isn't of importance to me directly. He is right that you would need to compare actual award inventory on a route as a percentage of seats an airline flies on this route to be able to make fair comparisons. I guess because neither Delta or its competitors will openly share this information, he will need to continue dealing with reporters on this matter and we will still bemoan our perceived lack of availability. Only Delta knows if they are scaling back award travel. My hunch is that there are less seats allotted at the Skysaver level for awards than before exiting BK and they are trying to keep the sense of award availability stable among Medallions by limiting it to non-Medallions. That's just my take on it.

I too am looking for award inventory for my family while not traveling with me and while flights do exist if I were flying, they don't exist when I am not on the ticket. I suppose that is good news as a Medallion. I think the complaints would drop off some if Jeff could get Delta to permit Medallions to book travel for family/friends using Medallion inventory providing the miles come out of the Medallion's account. Then being a Medallion would have added value and our complaints regarding limited award availability would go down.

Either way, thanks for participating here with us Jeff and enjoy your time in Paris. Hope you have a great flight.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 2:55 pm

Skymiles = Positive cashflow for newly not bankrupt airline

My speculation is that Delta is trying to positively boost cash flow to inflate their bottom line- post bankruptcy via the Skymiles program.

Partners must pay them for miles ahead of time for what is accrued so they can credit their customers. Delta seems to be doing a lot over the past month or so to get us to rack up massive Skymiles accruals (Delta 5,000 mile bonus for each 5 partners, e-mails I get regarding various partners (Starwood, Marriott, etc. 3 times a day).

If the Skymiles flyer isn't looking for awards at the moment they have no way of understanding that the actual value has been halved and therefore these promotions aren't as appealing. Maybe they plan to make this up after Q2 and offer more award availability, but who knows? Having no way for those who get the coveted miles to actually spend them - thus delaying any cash outflow / loss they may take on award tickets makes for a very cash flow positive situation.

Originally Posted by Kahuna
I concur.

Avoiding the issue only adds to the speculation that award inventory has been drastically reduced. If this is not the case, say so. At least you will be on record as a reference point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.