Wiki Posts
Search

RealDLInsider - I See A Light

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:05 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

RealDLInsider - I See A Light

I figured this title would catch your eye! We’ve been quiet lately and you all are probably wondering what we have been up to. Fortunately for our customers, a lot, and it all has to do with emerging from bankruptcy in under 45 days and returning Delta to the profitable and formidable airline she once was. Last week’s announcements around compensation adjustments, cash lump sums and stock for all employees was a long time coming, and for the many people who work for me in SkyMiles and the other 44,000 employees, well deserved.

Profitability for the airline means obvious survival for the Delta employees, but also the opportunity for us to continue to serve you all through our network, our frequent flyer program and through an improved experience curb to curb. I’ve mentioned before that there are several areas of the experience that we are not all that proud of, which you all highlighted very nicely in a question I posed to you. The biggest being Delta Connection and Baggage. We just announced the movement of a new Vice President who will be exclusively responsible for improving the Delta Connection experience. His name is Wayne Aaron, and for those of you who don’t know Wayne, he’s a great guy. I’m convinced he’ll support our efforts to make a difference here. Beyond that, the quiet is our planning for emergence, for a celebration, and for the fun we will have in making Delta the airline that other airlines envy (regardless of what Mr. Parker says).

I noticed a couple things posted that I wanted to comment on that needed some clarification – a kiosk upgrade issue, the award calendar and the million miler program.

Kiosk Upgrades:

The automation to transfer all customers from the tank upgrade processing over to the airport standby list is delayed. We had a couple of issues on the kiosk side, with a new implementation date of late April or early May. This fix will accomplish two things – eliminate the necessary step of you all requesting the upgrade when you check-in at the kiosk, and more importantly, ensure everyone gets placed on the airport standby list (without ever getting an “airport standby list closed” message). I didn’t realize the latter was that major of an issue until I read some of your posts. Currently, we are investigating what could be done in the interim (prior to late April/early May) to not shut down the airport standby list at the kiosk. This would ensure that all Medallions get added. I don’t believe it’s fair that a Platinum on Full Coach who checks in at the kiosk an hour before departure, be denied being put on the upgrade list because there are ten Gold and Silver Medallions on discounted fares ahead of him/her and only two upgrade seats left. More to come on this …

Million Miler Program

A few weeks ago, I saw that someone went out and posted what each Million Miler level received. Unfortunately, this posting was inaccurate, as about 9 months ago, the program was changed (and for the better). We still award 1 million, 2 million and 4 million milers with lifetime Silver, Gold and Platinum Medallion status, respectively, however we did improve the gift program as well. We used to provide Hartmann shaving kits, cosmetics cases and bag tags at 1 million miles, but now we award a choice of 10 different full-size rollerboards. Similarly, as you reach 2 million, 3 million and higher, you receive additional pieces of Hartmann luggage and/or full sets. For some of the even higher thresholds, we’ve held events at the airport or had senior leaders meet and greet customers on aircraft or during the boarding process. In fact, a few months ago we had a cake and a small celebration at the gate area for a new 10 million miler. He crossed 10 million miles and his wife 4 million (on the same day). To be honest, before some of these changes, we were receiving complaints from valued customers about the gift items, and some of the cuts we made over the years. Last Summer, many of us had enough. Since that time, I’ve not received one complaint, so I hope the upgraded program was the right improvement.

Award Calendar

No formal communications have yet gone out to customers around the new award calendar, so that we can upgrade the stability of the platform. We haven’t had any major problems at this point, however a huge drive of award searches that could result from mass communication of the new calendar, could bring the search function down. The platform is currently being upgraded and that should be final in the next 30 days. As soon as this is done, you’ll see more broad communications about this coming out.

Other than that, your Delta team is working hard to deliver a better airline, one free of creditor control (I’m sure you saw our board announcements today) and one that won’t be attacked by an Arizona drunk! There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we hope to God it’s not another train.

By the way, I love the talk on who everyone thinks the new CEO will be. Respectively, I think I'll avoid this discussion. One guarantee however -- it won't be me! :-)

Later,
Jeff
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Jeff...thanks, as usual, for the insider updates on the SkyMiles program.

Much appreciated.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
an Arizona drunk!
Ouch.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
...your Delta team is working hard to deliver a better airline, one free of creditor control (I’m sure you saw our board announcements today) and one that won’t be attacked by an Arizona drunk!...

Later,
Jeff
HAHAHAHA!!! I love this guy. Hilarious!!

Thanks for participating, Jeff.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Thanks Jeff, keep up the great work you and your colleagues @ DL are doing^

He crossed 10 million miles and his wife 4 million (on the same day).
ouch!
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:27 pm

Programs: US CP, HH DIA, IC AMB
Other than that, your Delta team is working hard to deliver a better airline, one free of creditor control (I’m sure you saw our board announcements today) and one that won’t be attacked by an Arizona drunk! There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we hope to God it’s not another train.

Later,
Jeff
Cold, Harsh and very unprofessional.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Omg,

10 millions and he has a wife
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:34 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Thumbs up

Thanks! We really appreciate having you on FT!
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm curious about what percentage of those million miles mentioned in:

In fact, a few months ago we had a cake and a small celebration at the gate area for a new 10 million miler. He crossed 10 million miles and his wife 4 million (on the same day).
were earned when the calculation for million mile status included status bonus miles and partner mileage activity too.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mikey110890
Cold, Harsh and very unprofessional.
Are you talking about a US-HP executive?
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:01 pm

Programs: US CP, HH DIA, IC AMB
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Are you talking about a US-HP executive?
Now that I gave it some thought...............Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:26 pm

Other than that, your Delta team is working hard to deliver a better airline, one free of creditor control (I’m sure you saw our board announcements today) and one that won’t be attacked by an Arizona drunk!
While I appreciate Jeff's update and I can appreciate good humor, comments like these are why I am still left with an uneasy feeling about DL's longer term future.

DL has faced some tough times, but the current DL management team hasn't faced real adversity and is untested. I hope for DL employees and customers sake, that DL's management team will have the strength and maturity to handle that adversity when it comes.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by ConnFlyer
While I appreciate Jeff's update and I can appreciate good humor, comments like these are why I am still left with an uneasy feeling about DL's longer term future.

DL has faced some tough times, but the current DL management team hasn't faced real adversity and is untested. I hope for DL employees and customers sake, that DL's management team will have the strength and maturity to handle that adversity when it comes.
But, but they're giving out luggage!!!
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Jeff,

Thank you for the laugh reading this post...you had me rolling on the floor!!! BTW if I get close to 10million miles I want to be killed. Do you know how many RJ rides that is from BGM (said just for you Monitor *smile*).

So wait, you mentioned a celebration. Should we be expecting invites????????? (if you havent read FT long enough you should know we like to crash other people's parties btw)!!!!
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
In the monthly spin that US sends out via email, the author writes the way a 15 year old California girl talks. One little jab at US, between what I think many of us would usually consider friends, is just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.