Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RatherBeOnATrain
General information on buddy passes: Delta Air Lines Employee & Guest Travel Guide
Print Wikipost

Buddy Passes: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by majorwibi
But the one time in J v. all the times watching the plane leave without you on it more than balances out at the end of the day towards it being like skymiles.
Of course Just saying it can work. I suppose like you can score a low level BE award to SYD
Old May 4, 2010, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thezipper
As a note, this forum is NOT the appropriate place to be discussing "Buddy Pass" benefits... that should be done between the recipient and the issuer of the pass, or a forum like airlinecrew.net
Why not? While I understand that DL employees may be forbidden to offer details about Buddy Passes here, since many of us have friends that work for DL, it's nice to know the ropes in case we wind up with nice birthday presents.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by moondog
Why not? While I understand that DL employees may be forbidden to offer details about Buddy Passes here, since many of us have friends that work for DL, it's nice to know the ropes in case we wind up with nice birthday presents.
Because there are other forums and websites for airline staff and pass travellers, and this forum is ostensibly for frequent flyer programs and issues on DL of concern to regular flyers.

And on a side note, travellers on buddy passes should really be 'invisible'. Most airlines, as part of the T&C of Companion Passes or Buddy Passes, prohibit you from even discussing the fact that you are using or travelling on buddy passes. An airline employee or non-rev site may be a better place for discussion of airline employee benefits IMHO.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: NWA Tears
About half my friends are airline employees. I and the other half have flown gobs of flights on buddy passes (thank you airline friends!). As long as you can be a little flexible they are a great way to fly. Prob 80% of flights have been on the day planned, 15% next day, and 5% 2nd day. I don't know that any of us have ever gone past 2 days. BE on TATL/TPAC is more likely than unlikely.

For best results: Dress well, be nice to GA's/FA's, and pack very very lite.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:15 pm

hmmm but guys, do you know the destinations these places travel to?

My main question is where can buddy passes take me?
Japan
Australia
Europe
Hawaii
Mexico
UK
Dom.Republic.

any of those? (especially the first 3 or 4 I named)

that's my main question. John isn't sure that's why I'm asking here.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by JasonZimmerman
hmmm but guys, do you know the destinations these places travel to?
This question is incoherent. Places don't travel anywhere. Are you asking where in those countries Delta flies? Go online, do a search.

But the bottom line is that it will take the sponsor who gave you the buddy passes to understand their terms, how they work, where you can fly, and what it will cost.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by thezipper
As a note, this forum is NOT the appropriate place to be discussing "Buddy Pass" benefits... that should be done between the recipient and the issuer of the pass, or a forum like airlinecrew.net
Indeed. So as a Mod wouldn't you want to just close the thread?
Old May 4, 2010, 1:42 pm

JasonZimmerman - I hate to be blunt, but you need to be asking your sponsoring employee these questions. If your sponsoring employee isn't sure, he needs to contact his supervisor or the employee pass travel office to get more details. FlyerTalk isn't going to help you answer these questions as FlyerTalk is mostly made up of "regular" passengers who pay for their tickets with dollars and miles.

To others: you may think it's harmless to post details about how much your benefits cost you, but that is in fact proprietary information to Delta and shouldn't be disclosed.

You are taking a risk with any information you post that is not in the public domain.
Old May 4, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
This is where Delta flies

http://delta.innosked.com/
Old May 4, 2010, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NWA IS
You are taking a risk with any information you post that is not in the public domain.
True, but there's nothing preventing those of us who don't work for airlines to talk about how we believe the system works. Of course, such accounts are not as reliable as those from airline employees, but they are harmless as long as readers understand such.

As for those people who maintain that, "we only talk about miles here," to me this topic is more relevant/interesting than "where should I sit on my upcoming hour on a DC-9?" threads.

I guess I'm a bit surprised by the, "hush, hush," reception. Are buddy passes supposed to be so secret that we're not supposed to be aware of their very existence? Are recipients of buddy passes and ex-employees bound by lifetime gag orders?
Old May 4, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by moondog

I guess I'm a bit surprised by the, "hush, hush," reception. Are buddy passes supposed to be so secret that we're not supposed to be aware of their very existence? Are recipients of buddy passes and ex-employees bound by lifetime gag orders?
As posted earlier, at many airlines (United for instance) it is part of the T&C of use that you do NOT discuss/disclose you are travelling on a companion pass or employee reduced rate. I'm guessing most airlines have similar verbiage.
Old May 4, 2010, 2:58 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I guess no one got it the first time... THIS forum is for Delta SKYMILES related travel and benefits, not buddy pass... take that to another forum.

thezipper
Delat Co-Moderator
Old Jul 1, 2010, 1:29 am

Delta Buddy Pass for Non US REs?

Anyone know if a ticket can be used for a non us res to visit the states? Thanks

Last edited by maracuyalove; Jul 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm
Old Jul 1, 2010, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by maracuyalove
Anyone know if a buddy pass can be used for a non us res to visit the states? Thanks
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk!!!

*Steps up on the Airline Employee Soapbox*
I would not recommend posting employee pass travel benefits, buddy passes, or stories of screwing paying customers over on FlyerTalk, as well as other sensitive information, Delta would not appreciate that. I'd recommend going to an airline employee forum where passengers have no business in "empirically speaking".

Now to answer your question about the usage of Delta Buddy Passes, they are YOURS to use as you please within legalities and regulations of the Federal Guv'Mint.

If they are an non-US resident and come from a country that has a bilateral agreement for say a 90 day visit without a Visa, you may issue them a pass that is valid from the date of arrival into the US + 90 Days. If you do not do this and immigration officials notice this, they may revoke entry to the US and subject your friend or whoever to immediate deportation.

If they come from a country that requires a Visa, a buddy pass might not go well with the US Consular Officials however they probably would not know it's space available if nothing is said, be careful here.

I would err on the side of caution and make sure your friend or whomever actually left the country by the time their visa expires so you do not get in trouble or have your friend in trouble as well... (i.e full flights excuse will not go well with the INS)...
*Steps off on the Airline Employee Soapbox*
Have fun and welcome to FT once again!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:34 pm

buddy passes

We despartly need buddy passes to travel to Utah my father=inlaw is terminally ill please reply need four or five please reply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.