Wiki Posts
Search

GoGo Announces WiFi Talk and Text

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Kryptonium

OMG! Text is OK, but talk - who wants to sit next to someone blabbering on their phone!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:57 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
No way there is enough internet for everyone to talk on the plane anyway
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Voice, especially compressed, is very low bandwidth. However, the latency would be an issue.

I don't want to have pax blabbing on their phone or computers through a mic.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
agreed. I don't care if it's allowed, I will give evil and obvious glares until they stop.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:24 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
It may be newly announced, but, a few months back, during the GoGo free BlackBerry deal, my phone logged onto GoGo & TMobile as a hotspot, which kind of surprised me. Just out of curiosity, I sent myself a text, and it worked! So, I called my answering machine, and it also worked!

Am I missing something?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:28 pm

NO! Delta this will drive me right off you onto SW which has a much more restrictive internet.. I don't want to hear the passenger next to me doing his "deal of the century" all the way from ATL to SNA!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE

I hope this isn't allowed to actually happen. I will have to go to whatever airline won't allow it. No way could I tolerate SEA-JFK sitting next to someone with an overinflated sense of self-importance. I don't care what anyone does or how big a deal it is, I want to read my book/magazine and enjoy my flight. I return the favor by never causing such a ruckus myself. HUGE thumbs down on this even possible!!!!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
The good news is, Delta does actually listen sometimes!

While this is a specific question related to the FCC changing their policy, I think the response would likely be applicable to any GoGo policy changes as well.

IF THE FCC CHANGES ITS POLICY, WILL DELTA ALLOW ME TO MAKE CALLS ON FLIGHTS?

We have years of customer feedback on in-flight voice communications. The overwhelming sentiment is to continue to not allow voice communications while in flight.

Also, as a side note, as long as I've been using GoGo, I've been able to text using iMessage as that never required anything more than WiFi, so while some may be excited, they may not have realized they've been able to do it all along... (yes, just iMessage, not texting that requires cellular data)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
If they want to enhance GoGo, I'm ready for the international WiFi to be available not to sit next to someone gabbing on their device for a lengthy flight! Hopefully FAs will have some discretion to curb this if it becomes an issue aboard the plane.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
A quick google search provided an engadget article... (emphasis mine)
Unfortunately, it's still unclear when the service will roll out, how much it will cost or which airlines will offer it. One thing's for sure, though: Gogo doesn't expect any US airlines to support voice calls. In fact, says a company rep, the service might be called "Gogo Text" here in the states, with nary a mention of "talking."
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
for all the people complaining about this..dont' any of you own a pair of headphones/earphones? i mean c'mon...?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
No way there is enough internet for everyone to talk on the plane anyway
You can't talk on cell phone during the flight. You have turn it off.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by JulienMSP
for all the people complaining about this..dont' any of you own a pair of headphones/earphones? i mean c'mon...?
Even with noise canceling headphones you can hear Mr "I AM IMPORTANT" SHOUTING his deals all over the SkyClub. I have no hope that he won't even shout LOUDER on the plane so that all of us can hear him LOL! Seriously, there's a group out there that thinks they must SCREAM about their deals so that all of us can hear it and know they are important. And that's the same group the FA has to basically FORCE to hang up (the ones crying about "How important this call is" LOL!)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Schmoops
We have years of customer feedback on in-flight voice communications. The overwhelming sentiment is to continue to not allow voice communications while in flight.
I believe they also have years of feedback from cockpit crew and especially FAs who are all overwhelmingly against it, because they know they are the ones who will have to referee the inevitable disputes.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by JulienMSP
Most people do. And the wires make an excellent garotte.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.