Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How much would you pay to shut lil Skippy's device up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED

Onboard flight from MCO and jr boards with electronic device blaring for all to hear. Sits across and one row back. After asking the parents if they had headphones several times they finally answered no flipping back would I like them to turn it off. I said no - keep it on as long you like but I would prefer not hearing it so loudly.

Asked FA if she had headphones (was honestly not trying to create a scene) but she was less than helpful and said they are $2. She could have easily recognized the situation and nicely offered the child a pair. But no. I did offer to pay the $2 for my sanity vs the non stop singing dinging and donging.

FA has not come back but my $ is still in hand in case of emergency.

Ah, MCO. (And yes, for full disclosure I have two young boys too - they are very well behaved most of the time and redirected when not).
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Extra grace required when flying in/out MCO! At least it's a short flight if going to ATL. I probably would have endured, worst case asked parents if they could turn it down a little.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by jsbh
Ah, MCO.
Indeed. I'm also surprised the FA didn't understand the situation and at least tell the kid to turn down the volume. If it's any consolation I'm sure you're not the only one annoyed.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum and Delta Gold Medallion
That's exactly why I avoid flying into MCO and just go to DAB. I hate having to listen to crying kids, games, yelling, and what not. Plus the upgrade opportunities out of DAB are soooo much better!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Unfortunately, it's a more and more common situation ... I've come across more international flights where the parents are happy to see Jr play/watch movies without headphones and with no consideration for others. Sad state of affairs is all I can say.

GenevaFlyer
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
The Bright Side...

As the parent of two formerly small children (now 10 and 13) I can just say that the annoying electronic device was usually preferable to one of the likely alternatives, which was the thermonuclear-level meltdown.

I always did, however, have headphones.

On occasion, though, the batteries would die and we inched ourselves very quickly to the armageddon-like meltdowns...

My son is now a teenager and it's amazing to observe how this child, once so volatile and capable of horrifying tantrums at the drop of a dime, is now in his profoundly sullen teenage phase. I'm lucky if even emits a grunt throughout the entire flight.

Life, a never-ending adventure.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL,HH,SPG,ICH,Thrifty,Hertz
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Unfortunately, it's a more and more common situation ... I've come across more international flights where the parents are happy to see Jr play/watch movies without headphones and with no consideration for others. Sad state of affairs is all I can say.

GenevaFlyer
Very sad when we must rely on the FA to do the parents job.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, SPG Plat 100, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
More than once this has been a problem with ADULTS and twice the FA has advised the pax to turn it down or turn it off.
One guy asked her if the sound bothered her and she replied, "No, but I'm not the one sitting next to you."
Seriously. Angry Birds with sound on a plane?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think it should be an official policy that electronic devices that make noise are not allowed without headphones. Likewise, I think people should speak in low voices and generally do things to respect that fact that one is stuck in a metal tube with lots of other people.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Next time I'm offered the free cheap earbuds when sitting up front, I'll take them & stow them in my laptop bag for just such a situation. "Here, kid, free earbuds".
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by RockStarLurker
More than once this has been a problem with ADULTS and twice the FA has advised the pax to turn it down or turn it off.
One guy asked her if the sound bothered her and she replied, "No, but I'm not the one sitting next to you."
Seriously. Angry Birds with sound on a plane?
+1. When kids do it, it's not their fault, that their parents aren't "parenting". When adults do it, it's just ignorant. I've sat next to people in F, who pulled out a phone and played a game with loud volume. I'm amazed these people make it through the day...

BTW, angry birds? That's so 2011.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
According to delta.com -

Passengers using devices that make sound will be encouraged to use a headset so that others around them are not disturbed.

I guess that doesn't say "required", but it should.

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Nov 12, 2013 at 5:15 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I particularly "liked" the two adults who decided to share a laptop to watch a movie on a flight last week. It was only after numerous nasty glares from everybody around them that they finally started using headphones. Unfortunately that didn't stop the constant talking with an extremely loud voice and cackling laughter.

Did I mention this flight was late at night?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Thanks everyone. I completely agree that this is a sad state and says more about mom and dad.

That said - I am surprised no one reminded me that all DL flights are cashless now

DTW SkyClub now for a quick round of "therapy."
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Next time I'm offered the free cheap earbuds when sitting up front, I'll take them & stow them in my laptop bag for just such a situation. "Here, kid, free earbuds".
I always keep a couple in my bag for situations like this. "Would you like some headphones for that?" is usually a pretty good hint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.