Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l Flight Canceled - Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Int'l TLV-JFK Flight Canceled - Credit?

Last night my midnight flight from Tel Aviv Israel to JFK was canceled after sitting on the plane for 3 hours due to a mechanical problem. The full 400 passenger 747 was unloaded and it took 4 more hours to speak to a Delta rep to get a hotel room! There were about 3-4 reps helping all of the passengers. I was re-booked for today at midnight (at 24H Delay) and finally given a room.

They DIDN'T even offer me a credit for the inconvenience! I used twitter to request a credit and was offered only $150. They're crazy! What is a reasonable credit for this horrible service and inconvenience? Also, whats the best way to go about requesting a credit?

Last edited by sfera; Mar 4, 2013 at 8:53 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
There are special rules for cancels/delays in or out of Israel:

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/del...hts_israel.pdf

David
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by sfera
Also, whats the best way to go about requesting a credit?
You have already requested a credit and received it. What do you think this is worth?

I had a similar issue on an international flight resulting in a 24 hr. delay. Being accommodated in a luxury hotel and treated to fine dining seemed sufficient to me.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
According to that pdf, monetary compensation should be approx $800 USD.

However, I would expect that DL will use the same line and tactics they do with the EU compensation rules, and claim that the MX cancellation and delay was 'due to circumstances not under Delta's control'... which is total bs since it is DL's equipment and their own MX issue.

You may have to find a service in Israel to help you press for the claim, but for ~$800 its worth it.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I didnt accept the twitter offer. And I am missing work and having tons of costs from this delay. I now need a pickup because my family is unavailable. Also the international calls are now really racking up as I was expected to be in meetings today and tomorrow.

@DiverDave - Thanks!!! That document helps a TON!
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
They've been having a heck of a time with these TLV flights....They had a flight cancelled a week ago also

Fouls up the schedule for 3-4 days afterwards.

Perhaps they need to get some more parts in TLV. Wonder if it is the same 747

UPDATED: interstingly, it doesn't look like this cancellation is creating any issues on the JFK-TLV or JFK-NRT flight...Guess DL decided they cannot have the same thing happen 2 weeks in a row. Bringing up a plane from ATL...DL 9931

Last edited by FlyAO2; Mar 4, 2013 at 8:46 am
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:46 am
Original Poster

They are bringing another 474 In for today's flights. There are now 2 flights - at 11PM and at 12:40AM. Don't know where they got the plane from
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by sfera
They are bringing another 474 In for today's flights. There are now 2 flights - at 11PM and at 12:40AM. Don't know where they got the plane from
That's the same equip that was supposed to leave yesterday. They probably needed a part that came in from NY today and they are fixing the flight and getting it out
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
You have already requested a credit and received it. What do you think this is worth?

I had a similar issue on an international flight resulting in a 24 hr. delay. Being accommodated in a luxury hotel and treated to fine dining seemed sufficient to me.
I received $350 in travel vouchers for a similar situation - was a silver medallion on a low-fare coach ticket at the time. Flight in question was MEM-AMS
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
sfera: please let us know the final outcome of this.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:31 am
Original Poster

I will for sure. I was told I have to write to Delta to get compensation.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 12:50 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Why don't you just call in using skype?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
There are too many problems with Boeing planes lately
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I admit that the three you mentioned have been in the news a lot and happened in a short time span.

Wondering what will happen next week!
Told ya so.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

I did try and call but a supervisor told me that the Passenger Rights document stated that I had to write to Delta and I would receive compensation within 45 days.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

checks came

Checks arrived. In total shock they actually sent them without any push back. Go delta. Definitely makes me want to be more loyal to them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.