Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How Will Credit Card Surcharges Affect You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program

I skimmed through recent posts and didn't see anything on this topic. Apologies if it is already being discussed.

A recent court decision resulting from a lawsuit brought by merchants against credit card companies will allow merchants to add as much as a 4% surcharge for credit card purchases.

I know that many FTers rely on Delta AMEX spending to boost their MQM balance and earn a higher SM status than they could with BIS miles alone. If credit card surcharges become widespread, how will this affect your use of credit cards in general and the DL AMEX card(s) in particular?

Will this affect the MQD "opt out" by DL AMEX spending?

Will this turn the USA into more of a cash society like Japan? Are there any unintended consequences looming?

Last edited by DLFan2; Jan 28, 2013 at 11:07 am
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: United 1P; AA Gold; National EE; SPG Plat; HH Gold; Fairmont Plat
Here is an interesting article on the subject: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-about-little/
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Seems like AMEX is unaffected by this settlement, although holders of other airline CCs could be hurt.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, National EE
One big caveat in the whole agreement is that if a business operates in any of the (currently) ten states (California, Colorado, Texas, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, and Oklahoma) where it is illegal to implement credit card surcharges, then they cannot add the charge in any of the other 40 states. This is due to the fact that regulations around credit card uses must be consistent across all operations. This tends to indicate that where you are going to see the surcharges are in the regional busineess, and mom & pop businesses. You are not going to see it in major hotel chains, restaurants and airlines.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:54 am

They won't because I live in California!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Much ado about nothing, and since this is not Delta-related I expect the mods to move this somewhere else.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This is not a DL specific matter and will be discussed on the various CC forums. Therefore i am closing this discussion down.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.