Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL will gets free wifi within the next year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Finally!! Just about time!! They will offer a free WIFI at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. You don't have to pay for it.

Here is the link:

http://rn-t.com/view/full_story/2068...i-Fi-next-year

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/har...all-201/nSskN/

I have been wait for a long time to come. You can surfing Internet or chat with your friends. You can keep in touch.

Last edited by N830MH; Dec 3, 2012 at 2:01 pm
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
About time, and frankly that ripoff crap Boingo hotspot service can't go bust soon enough. Too bad T-Mobile is at the bottom of the pile with them.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rylan
About time, and frankly that ripoff crap Boingo hotspot service can't go bust soon enough. Too bad T-Mobile is at the bottom of the pile with them.
Well, I just hating Boingo and we dislike it at all. It's terrible!
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL FO
Here's to hoping it's faster than the speeds of the "free" internet provided in many of the ATL Sky Clubs!

...not holding my breath, however
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by BringBackTWA
Here's to hoping it's faster than the speeds of the "free" internet provided in many of the ATL Sky Clubs!

...not holding my breath, however
It wont be...think about how many people and how much traffic is going to be on that WiFi.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Finally!! Just about time!! They will offer a free WIFI at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. You don't have to pay for it.

Here is the link:

http://rn-t.com/view/full_story/2068...i-Fi-next-year

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/har...all-201/nSskN/

I have been wait for a long time to come. You can surfing Internet or chat with your friends. You can keep in touch.

Another symbol of the Mayor's efficiency? It will take a year to do this. Guess that allows enough time for his friends to learn how to install wifi and get a contract
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by rob0225
It wont be...think about how many people and how much traffic is going to be on that WiFi.
I have been in some airports where the free WiFi is surprisingly quick (granted ATL is a different monster than most)...CLT for example is usually decently quick, despite being a US hub.

Those T-Mobile hotspots in the Sky Clubs are usually dreadfully slow, though, in my experience...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I'll take anything. ATL seems to be a black hole for my AT&T service. It usually literally takes an hour to get or send one email.

I make sure to have a game or movie to keep me occupied in ATL, because I know I can't really hope for any data service.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm hoping with free wi-fi it will reduce the utilization of the access points in the SC and will end up faster.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
One less reason to visit the Sky Clubs
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by SomeGuy
I'll take anything. ATL seems to be a black hole for my AT&T service. It usually literally takes an hour to get or send one email.

I make sure to have a game or movie to keep me occupied in ATL, because I know I can't really hope for any data service.
trying to squeeze ANY data through AT&T's pathetic service at ATL is impossible. let's hope they do the free wi-fi right.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:28 pm

It says they expect the load to increase by a factor of 2-3 with the free service. are they insane? with free wifi load will increase by a factor of 20x or 50x.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm not sure where I get my luck, but I very rarely have problems with wifi in SCs - primarily ATL and LGA. It's not blazing fast compared to my home or office connections, but I can reliably get on my VPN, download emails with large attachments, do Exchange calendaring, etc.

I don't tend to stream music/video or anything like that b/c I don't want to hog the bandwidth, but on a couple occasions I've had to pull very large files from my work server (in the 15-20 MB range) and it never takes longer than a minute or two.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnm1019
It says they expect the load to increase by a factor of 2-3 with the free service. are they insane? with free wifi load will increase by a factor of 20x or 50x.
Thats what I was thinking also... because I'm sure almost nobody is paying the airport wi-fi prices. Maybe they expect people with their smartphones to keep using their data over 4G and not go to the wireless link instead.

Either way, yes AT&T seems to have awful bandwidth for hotspots also.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Could it be worse?

I decided to arrive at ATL 3 1/2 hours early today, in hopes of getting some work done.

Paid WiFi (they don't partner with anyone) in Terminals E and F barely worked, if at all. Loading Gmail or NYT/Yahoo homepages took minutes.

If they make it free, what's the chances it will work better? I'd rather have Boingo-- sure, parts of airports don't work, too bad if you only have 10 minutes at the gate, but at least you can usually find someplace nearby where it does work.

Also: some kudos to Gogo on ATL-MEX. Except for a ~5min drop, we had service until ~50 min from MEX, which (without checking the actual position with Flightaware) seems to have been at least 250 miles out into the Gulf.

Update: after checking Flightaware: at least 300 miles out into the Gulf. Now, if they'd only put a tower in Brownsville (or in Mexico). Update2: we took a route slightly NW of New Orleans from the norm, looks to have put us closer to the coast; unknown if performance is normal for other days/routes.

Last edited by kthomas; Jan 11, 2013 at 10:56 pm Reason: corrections/updates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.