Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Low First Class awards to Sydney available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum

FYI: I have been searching for low level first class awards to Sydney, Australia from the WI region around 300 days out, and the calendar is filled with green. It is 150k miles plus around $140 in taxes and fees. Seems like a good deal considering any coach seat searched for via Kayak is more than $2000, and first class on Delta is more than $8000.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Ya, some of us have been noticing that too. A big part of that is VA opening up tons of availability both to BNE and SYD from LAX which takes the load off of DL. Initially VA had massive fees with the good availability, but now it is in line with DL. Very happy to see that.

Lucky for you, you can get low level flights to LAX, which for many people is the hard part.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by krp453
FYI: I have been searching for low level first class awards to Sydney, Australia from the WI region around 300 days out, and the calendar is filled with green. It is 150k miles plus around $140 in taxes and fees. Seems like a good deal considering any coach seat searched for via Kayak is more than $2000, and first class on Delta is more than $8000.
And sadly, every date combination I choose results in 240k+ miles even though the calender shows low.

Not that I expect anything else.

And like last time I fought this battle, LAX-SYD-LAX is available for 150k, but trying to tack on DFW-XXX-LAX drives it up.

Last edited by james318; Nov 28, 2012 at 9:35 am Reason: more info
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL FO
Just to be clear, this is "Business Class" we're talking about, as neither DL or VA offer "First Class" internationally as the title would suggest.

Still obviously a good deal if you can catch this long TPAC on a low award.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roknroll
Ya, some of us have been noticing that too. A big part of that is VA opening up tons of availability both to BNE and SYD from LAX which takes the load off of DL. Initially VA had massive fees with the good availability, but now it is in line with DL. Very happy to see that.

Lucky for you, you can get low level flights to LAX, which for many people is the hard part.
As I recall, the VA low awards were 100k miles with something like $800 in fuel surcharges. Has that changed?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Yes... no more huge fees.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by krp453
As I recall, the VA low awards were 100k miles with something like $800 in fuel surcharges. Has that changed?
No more crazy fees but 150k RT to/from the Southwest Pacific in J:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-s-canada.html
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Did h!ll freeze over?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Did h!ll freeze over?
Looks like it. The last time we went round and round on this route, Lows were abundant on VA`, with huge fees. Once found a low DL, yet it was less then two weeks out. Very cool, if you can get Low now, without fees.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BringBackTWA
Just to be clear, this is "Business Class" we're talking about, as neither DL or VA offer "First Class" internationally as the title would suggest.

Still obviously a good deal if you can catch this long TPAC on a low award.
Thanks for the clarification. I earn Diamond on exclusively domestic flights and have yet to fly up front internationally. Thus, it hadn't really dawned on me that there is a distinction between the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.